what are the alternatives to AOL?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also don't care for Internet Explorer and Outlook. I use Mozilla's Firefox browser and Thunderbird mail, internet mail is Gmail.

One step at a time there friend. Just leaving AOL and seeing the REAL internet is shock enough without screwing her poor head up with different browsers and email clients. :D

Unfortunately, I think I am locked in with AOL for the time being. I have all kinds of stuff tied to the AOL address and it would be a real bear to change things, and would screw up things for a long time. Not worth the aggravation at the moment unless AOL or Time Warner send their customers notices about any changes.

I think I'll give Time Warner a call and ask them about alternatives. They may have something in place that I don't know about.

Unfortunately, I think I am locked in with AOL for the time being. I have all kinds of stuff tied to the AOL address and it would be a real bear to change things, and would screw up things for a long time. Not worth the aggravation at the moment unless AOL or Time Warner send their customers notices about any changes.

I think I'll give Time Warner a call and ask them about alternatives. They may have something in place that I don't know about.

Nancy

You can still keep AOL and go to another internet service. I have Hi speed from AT&T and I pay $32 a month for that. My AOL account is free, but I can only sign on by piggybacking via AT&T.

So unless AOL isn't making the offer they gave me two years ago any more, you should be able to do the same. Maybe Ross can better explain this to you. My computer expertise on a scale from 1-10 is about a 2.

Good luck.

right now there are no additional bills for AOL. I pay for Road Runner through Time Warner. If, in the future, there is extra billing coming from AOL, I will have to rethink a change. God knows, Time Warner is expensive enough now, I don't need additional billing from AOL for their service too.

My provider is FIOS, but the amenities of Yahoo, including masssive storage, keep me going through them for email and home site. I don't want to work at the background stuff. I just want it to always be there and not interfere. Yahoo has done a good job of that for the last six years.

I pay a small, annual fee for upgraded Yahoo service. That handles my email, excellent spam control, and other communications, without having to deal with contant ISP ads and "upgrade" click-throughs. I also have a Gmail account, but I've found Yahoo to be the least intrusive and most intuitive. I used to have AOL. I hated them. Their foolish onboard apps used up a lot of CPU and bandwidth. And they wouldn't let me quit. It took me five months and a letter to my bank to get them to stop charging me. They simply wouldn't halt my service, no matter what I did or said, until I got my bank involved and hollered, "Stop, Thief!"

One bit of critical advice: NEVER accept ANY site's toolbar. They sometimes add it in as an option they think you won't notice when you are picking up something you actually need, like a software update. If you accept it, it sits on top of your view of the electronic world along with everything that actually has to be there, taking another 10%-20% of your screen for access to garbage you'll never use, and it uses up your internet bandwidth to report on everything you do and everywhere you go to advertisers and internet marketing companies. Just don't do it. There is nothing less "free" than a "free" toolbar.

Best wishes,

right now there are no additional bills for AOL. I pay for Road Runner through Time Warner. If, in the future, there is extra billing coming from AOL, I will have to rethink a change. God knows, Time Warner is expensive enough now, I don't need additional billing from AOL for their service too.

Tell me about it. TWC is getting obsured with the pricing. I really don't think you need to worry Nancy. TW just wanted out of the AOL stock. I don't forsee them losing more customers over something like not piggybacking AOL, but then again, it's TWC were talking about too.

I'm another AOL user and still like it. I wouldn't want to be forced to switch. Hope they manage to continue offering acceptable level of service.

Latest posts

Back