what are "normal" values for echos

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

I have learned so much about valve issues in this forum! I appreciate everyone's willingness to share what you have learned through your own experiences and research...

I know that some of the answers I'm looking for are in other threads. I spent a long while yesterday looking for them! But I'm wondering if someone would post, in this one place, the echo values or measurements that would be considered "normal."

Yesterday my PCP gave me a copy of the report from my echo that was done in early April. (I have a bicuspid aortic valve with mild stenosis). I wish I had asked my cardiologist for a copy of the first one done a year ago. It would be interesting to compare. But I would like someone to explain what the normal values would be for the
AV mean gradient
AV max gradient
ejection fraction

Obviously, there are lots of other "numbers" on this report, but I won't pretend to understand them all. These values seem to be the most common ones that many of you have referred to as you've described your own situations. I believe I'm clear on what measurements are significant concerning the size of the aortic valve.

Another question: Why would there be mitral and tricuspid regurgitation when the mitral and tricuspid valves are normal?

Okay, maybe ONE more question: What would the significance be of "pulmonary hypertension?" My blood pressure is so perfect -- without medication. Aren't hypertension and high blood pressure the same thing?

In the stuff I have read, I understood that changes in ventricular wall thickness and size are significant. What about left ATRIAL enlargement?

I would really appreciate any information on these questions. Or refer me to a site that would explain some of these numbers to me.

It has been so helpful to read so many "success" stories, and to just appreciate that the thoughts and concerns I've had since learning of my own valve situation are shared almost universally by others facing heart issues.

Thanks!
Karen

Karen,
A real fast response from me. On the echo report, you should see the "normal" values listed. My numbers are arranged horizontally. For example, it says,

LA dimension: Normal Abn. Predicted

If all your numbers are under normal, that's about it. If anything is under the Abnormal, it will list the number and you compare it to the "Predicted" value.

Of course there is a huge variation, and you do need to track your changes. I would call the doctor's office (or wherever you had your last year's echo performed) and ask for a copy for your records. They really don't mind, and if they do, they'll never say anything about it! :D
I hope this helps in some small way.
Mary

did a search on yahoo...."normal lvedd"...since i was curious too. you will see a couple of links and blogs that state what normal reading are...although i am sure they very from person to person, so i would ask your cardio. i saw where the ejection fraction should be about 55%...mine is 20%...ooops normal lvedd should be about 54-60mm...mine is 81mm...another oops...and normal lvesd is about 40mm...mine is 69mm....i guess thats why im having surgery next week...lol

check "must have references"

check "must have references"

Hi Karen,
Go to the REFERENCES forum and click on the "must have references" and page down to find some good echo sources.
There is so much to learn isn't there!

The Digital Echocardiography has a list of normal parameters.

am getting some answers...

am getting some answers...

Betty, thanks for pointing me to the "Must Have References" index. I think I happened onto that just once before, but hadn't remembered that there was so much there to explore.

In the meantime...

I did a little other study on my own... Pulmonary hypertension has nothing to do with the arterial blood pressure that is measured with the cuff. 'Didn't care for what I learned about that, actually!

I still wonder why there can be regurgitation with normal mitral and tricuspid valves... What causes that? Anyone?

Karen

My 'guess' is that high pressure in the Left Ventricle can cause regurgitation in the Mitral Valve. The LV pressure will increase if the Aortic Valve area is reduced by aortic stenosis. (Hope I got that right)

'Al Capshaw'

Karen,

It's probably wear and tear.

I was told by a CCF cardio that trace regurg. in the Mitral and Tricuspid valves are a normal variant found in the general population, and not considered pathological.

In contrast, any kind of Aortic regurg. is considered abnormal but not necessarily surgically indicated. As put by my tactless cardio, you could get hit by a truck before you need an AVR.

In my case, pregnancy (and early atherosclerosis) enlarged my heart to the degree where all my valves began leaking and I became symptomatic. Surgery would not help my case at this point.

Best,

Very low LVEF - but no obvious effects

Very low LVEF - but no obvious effects

I know the "normal" LVEF should be around 50-55%.
Mine has been measured at between 10% and 20%.
There may be a difference between different cardiologists analysis of the echos however -- my UK echos have been 12%, 18% and 20%, but I had one done (very comprehensively) in Western Australia in early 2004 that gave the 10% figure.
Having said that, it doesn't seem to have restricted my activities. I enjoy cross country walking, doing one day walks to where my understanding wife can collect me. Since my MVR I've done quite a few 24 mile walks and only a few weeks after the 10% echo I did 32 miles.
Maybe it's the beer at lunchtime and the thought of a nice pint or two at the end that keeps me going...
Seriously though - it's obvious that the LVEF measurement means different things for different folks. An unusally low reading is not necessarily as bad as it sounds!

Latest posts

Back