What about the flu shot?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiddo

I did a search on "flu shot" and it seems as though this may or may not affect INR? I probably should check out Al's website to get a straight answer. In any case, the coumadin clinic says my dad can take the flu shot but he should re-test 10 days after the shot as this can affect INR. Has anyone's INR been affected by the flu shot? My dad plans to get his shot next month.

Thanks.
Jennie

I got my first flu shot last year and didn't notice a difference. I will also add that it was the first time I've had the flu in years, and I had it 3 times! :(

Tyce and I get flu shots every year.....no rise or lowering of inr's....it's worth it.

ev

Flu shots are a must!!!

Flu shots are a must!!!

Al and I got our flu shots today. He has been getting flu shots yearly since well before his valve replacement in 1990. No concerns with INR.
Blanche

My husband and I get a flu shot every year. My husband is on coumadin and we have not seen any differance in his INR after flu shot or pneumonia shot.

Me on the other hand, have never gotten a flu shot. I might get the odd head cold, but thats it. I used to be really healthy until this surgery. Now that I'm on warfarin, Blanche says its a must. although this is something else that has NOT been mentioned to me by any of my doctors.
So is it really must thing to do? I dunno? :confused:

Freddie said:
Me on the other hand, have never gotten a flu shot. I might get the odd head cold, but thats it. I used to be really healthy until this surgery. Now that I'm on warfarin, Blanche says its a must. although this is something else that has NOT been mentioned to me by any of my doctors.
So is it really must thing to do? I dunno? :confused:

Freddie,

My Cardio sez to get it! I never was sick either, but about 3 years before my AVR surgery I did get the flu. Now this is not what our mothers used to call the flu...you know stomach upset, vomiting... NO -- the flu is awful body aches, fever of 102° or more, no appetite, no energy. I spent 2 weeks in bed when I had the flu...and I really didn't feel like myself for a whole month! My cardio is adamant that any fever over 101° is to be avoided at all costs. Fever is the sign of infection, and infection is the enemy. Warfarin really isn't the reason for you to get the flu shot...avoidance of the fever is.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back