What a whirlwind...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedimed

Hello all, I was feeling the need to check in with you as soon as I got home to the computer but had to wait a few days for some coherent throughts ;)

I had a BAV replacement (St.Judes) on 1/25 at The Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. Surgery started in the early AM, and they were done by about 1pm.. Surgeon stated he was able to ablate the aortic aneurysm but had to replace the valve as it was not in good shape (hence the operation, right?)

I remember waking uo in ICU intubated, for some reason I dont remember seeing anything, only feeling two tubes down my throat and gagging on them, tehy were subsequently removed (thank goodness) and things felt much improved! (I have been intubated before and awake before intubation but dont remember feeling that gagging feeling-ohwell).. I had a great ICU RN over the first night, I was comfortable for the most part, she had me sit up and try coughing with teh pillow etc, strange, I was never given an incentive spirometer, which I thought odd, it is nearly impossible as you all know to take good deep breaths when you have no feedback on how much air you are inhaling especially when one is hurting so much!

I was transferred the floor the next AM after surgery, Beginning Fri night through Sunday I was in AWFUL abdomanal pain, no one could figure out why... I had been recieving high doses of the narcotics and they started to think I was "used to" (for some odd reason) the medications.. so tehy took me off the narcotics and I was getting Toredol (which also di dnot help at all) and Tylenol for a few days. I was kept NPO until the pain finally subsided and taperted back to regular food... over this period of timethey did an abdomenal film and urine culture, and even tried a nasogastric tube (to decrompress the stomach), trying to rule out possible causes... I had the poor resident paged a few times to try and asses what may be causing the pain... I had no pain of my incision, only muscle achyness from trying to use muscles other than those in my arms, and the pain of my abdomeal cramping...

Ok, so the film report is given and would you believe it was.....large volume of air in the GI track.... OMG!! I have had gas pains before but seriously, this was crazy!! I think on top of the pain I was having muscle spasms causing me to have a hard time breathing as well..

Monday morning was amazing! I woke up without abd cramping, and was able to take a few walks, even upa nd down a flight of stairs! it all felt so surreal given the past few days, I could not believe the difference.

And shortly after the walk, as Im sure you can all guess, the staf went on a discharging rampage and discharged 4 of us. They thankfully allowed me to stay until around4p when I had transportation, however I had heard they occasionally discharge you to the waiting room in teh lkobbby.. t hankfully that di dnot happen!

Anyhow, so this is a quick overview of my expereince, overall it was a whirlwind! It is incredible, the work-up to surgery is so extensive, and then all of a sudden it is over!

Today I am going to venture out for my first walk outside (have jsut been taking short walks in the house since I got home on Monday) and see how that goes..

Michelle, I did recieve the Shirt, thanks.. and once I arrive back at my house (Im in Bosotn now with a friend) on Monday 2/5, Ill figure out how to post the Tawdry shirt photo :)

Oh, and lastly, I forgot to mention; I was sitting here the other day quietly w/o the T.V on and heard, for the first time, a ticking noise. All of a sudden I realized what it was!! The valve! EEKS.. I can hear it, I remember waking up in teh hospital and realizing I could not hear it and thought, whew, no audible valve.. anyhow now I DO hear it.. not sure why that changes at variuos times though... I feel like the crocodile in Peter Pan ;)

I cannot thank you all here enought for the shared experiences, and support!

I will try to add to this as days pass and things progress ..

Thank you ahgain!

Leah

Good to hear from you! Sounds like you are doing well. Be good to yourself and let your body tell you how much to take on each day.

Welcome to this side of the mountain. It's amazing how quickly whole experience flies by. I recall thinking that somehow I expected there to be more.

Anyway, take it easy, breath, walk....all the best for an uneventful recovery.

So good to see you home, Leah and thanks for posting. Dick was never given a spirometer at Brigham either- maybe they just don't use them??? You sound like you are having a good recovery now that the stomach problem is over. Take it slowly and enjoy your new found good health!

Great to hear you are home Leah and on your way back!

Take care,
Ruth

Leah -

Glad to hear from you! Post more when you can and take care!

Leah,
So glad you're safely over the mountain! Now, all you have to do is gradually get better. I like your comment about feeling like the crocidile from Peter Pan. I was telling my co-workers about it when I started back to work and how I sound like the crocidile from Peter Pan and only one of them understood that. Marcie

Congratulations on your arrival on "the other side of the mountain". Wow, that is a hard way of finding out how much air in the intestinal tract can hurt!

Perhaps we should all have more sympathy for colicky babies having heard your description of that pain!

Best wishes for a quick and uneventful recovery.

Congratulations, Leah! It's wonderful hearing all these reports from people that have gone through it for those of us waiting for this "experience"! I'm sure you'll continue to improve and send us more encouragement.

Jan

LEAH!!!!

Good to see you posting again ... WELCOME BACK :).

Thoughts/prayers for a continued successful recovery.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'

Leah,
I'm glad you're over the mountain safely!!!!! Here's hoping for an easy recovery!!!

welcome

welcome

Congratulations to a fellow 1/25'er....good things indeed did happen that day!

Leah,
Glad to have you back and on the other side of the mountain!

The shirt...and other question...

The shirt...and other question...

Hello again, and thank you all for your kind thoughts and support!

I finally sat down today to post the picture of the Tawdry shirt, however the past hour in attempting this has not gone so well... I keep getting error messages saying the file is too large, any assistance would be apreciated..

Also, saw the pcp yesterday (a colleague of his actually) and he thought he heard a murmur at the level of the carotid (surgery for aortic valve replacement was on 1/25) artery.?? I have a cardiology appt on Thursday (tmw) so am anxious/curious as to what they think of this.. I hope they will do an ekg and CXRay as well to confirm baseline postop progress..

I am sure this is posted somewhere on our site, but am curious if anyone has had a murmur develop after surgery that is unrelated, or related to the surgery? Is this a normal finding? I have a St. Jude Valve and can hear it click in addition to feeling my heart pounding against the chest wall when I take a breath in...(this is the only way I can explain how it feels) ...

I will keep trying with teh photo :)

Thanks!

leah

Hi Leah -

I still have a murmur or have a murmur again. Doc doesn't seem concerned.

Latest posts

Back