Welcome LA Cruiser

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, La - just bummin around the hospital gets old, doesn't it? Maybe they can hire you on while you wait? JUST IN CASE you happen to have surgery Tuesday, and the way things have been going it's pretty iffy, there are many here who will be sending prayers along for you. It's a climb up a mountain, you know and when you reach the top, you are home free - we walk along with you and I would bet that there will be one or more who will be calling the hospital to be sure you made it through ok. I might even be one of them. Hope you can read the most recent posts, as there are lots of folks concerned. You have become an enigma and a pioneer all at the same time. I wish you the very best, La. You are tough - GODSPEED

Hi Marco

So glad you're where you need to be right now. We will be praying for you on Tuesday. In my opiinion, this is quite a powerful "Prayer" site, so I'm sure you'll be a-ok. Go with God! He is there with you.

Evelyn

Hi Marco,

As I'm reading the details about your previous surgeries, I can't help but wonder if you were born with Tetrology of Fallot (4 heart defects). One of my e-mail friends just had his Pulmonary valve replaced on 11/21 and spent 6 days in the hospital. It was great to hear from him because he said that all the pain he remembered from childhood was GONE!!! He had bad childhood memories from surgery too. (He was born with Tetrology of Fallot also). I hope this helps in your recovery. They manage the pain sooooo much better now. I've been keeping you in my prayers.

Best wishes for a VERY speedy recovery!:)

Judy

THX guys!

THX guys!

I'll try to 're-submit' the e-mail my friend got from my doctor. I typed it in notepad first this time and copied it to the clipboard.

>>> This is a note for _____ _____ regarding his surgeries--He can take it with him wherever there is a question about his surgery.

___ ____ was shot with a zip gun in 1958 which went thru his arm, chest and thru right atrium aorta, a leaflet of his aortic valve
and lodged in heart muscle lt ventricle.

When first seen he was in severe failure. We were only doing rt caths at the time. His cardiac output was so low that he had no

audible murmer. The cath revealed a large shunt from the aorta to right atrium.

He was operated on with bypass and from within the rt atrium hole in the aorta patched with Ivalon sponge (the only intrcardiac material available at that time). He did fairly well after surgery but it became apparent that his aortic valve was damaged as soon as his cardiac output came up.

He was doing fairly well and at that time aortic valve surgery was considered very hazardous so nothing was done about his valve.

About a year later he appeared in failure and was operated again with bypass and an attemp to suture the hole in one leaflet was
made (artificial valves were not available at the time ).

He did well for about ten days and his diastolic pressure went down and it was apparent the hole opened up. He was operated and the hole patched with a plug of ivalon sponge. He did well after this surgery and I guess has done well thru the years.

This surgery was done before we had volume ventilators, blood gases or artificial valves and before we were stopping the heart.

The surgery had to be done quickly and consequently crudely.

Thru the years I have had calls from California and Denver regarding his surgery. ______ can use this note in case it is needed.

If the valve is replaced I would like to know the condition of the ivolon sponge. I had another case in which I replaced the posterior leaflet of the mitral valve with an ivalon plug and several years later had to replace it with a star E. valve and the ivalon

sponge was only partially incorporated and epithelialized.

E.S. Crossett MD

My doctor is retired and is 81 years young (old is when you go past 150).

When I confess to him of two 'incidents' he's going to find out that he's 100 times a better doctor then he is (trouble is I'll be on the run 'cause if he catches me he's going to kick my butt).

THX and God Bless all

P.S. Has anyone read 'Footprints?'

At this piont I only see one set.

Last edited:
Wow, this thing works now!

Wow, this thing works now!

Do you suppose I outta change my alias to 'The Sponge', being that I'm not cruising the LA streets anymore and my heart is somehow now-a-days feeling spongy?

THX for your support & God Bless all!

P.S. 'Joy' beat some sense into my mind, THX angel!

Just curious, Marco-

You referred to two "incidents", what did you mean?

Dr. Crossett's letter was very interesting. I miracle doctor.

LA Cruiser

LA Cruiser

Sorry it's taking them doctors so long to get this thing going for you. You should tell them that they are so slow it takes them 2 hours to watch 60 minutes:D :D :D I stole that from the Gaither Gospel Homecoming show we went to see last night. It made me laugh so hard I cried. I hope you got a chuckle out of it too. I think you should change your alias to Mario. Peggy

If I

If I

..hit the submit button in the middle of a reply it's not 'cause I fainted or somthing, It'll be because 'staff' is tapping me on the shoulder 'to move on.'

I had a hard time getting access to these computers so I said, 'I need a one day vacation then,' (I had an anxiety attack last Wednsday --after a week and-a-half of waiting --and tests).

Doctors convinced me that it was not a smart move on my part so I agreed with them and tried to calm down, BUT, I was in the middle of said attack and not reasoning of my own free will.

Next morning I got up at five-o (I slept three hours) and told my nurse that I needed to sign the 'it's-your-life' paperwork because I had decided I needed a month off.

When the doctors came at about 8:30 they convinced me (Thank God 'cause the next day I had a 'today-you-don't-get-up-and-about' episode, as I had experienced two months earlier).

Though I kept complaining as to why the hospital didn't provide a 'pay-kioske' (like truck stops / internet cafes) for patients to access the the internet.

They indicated that the library computers were only for staff and students and not for patients or the public (and only for 'research' purposes).

As soon as he turned his back I headed for the library and 'talked myself' onto a computer.

This is the sign posted on computers:

"This computer is for Harbor staff to access sites that support the mission of Harbor UCLA Medical Center:"

1. Quality Patient Care

2. Medical Research

3. Medical Education

---I was in pursuit of all three, so what was the problem?

By the time I got upstairs they were asking me 'where (the hell?) were you?

They're turning the lights out!

Monday morning here I come (if they let me in)!

God Bless!

Marco-

Just tell them one more day, and you'll be in the operating room and out of their hair. Tell them this is calming you down and absolutely necessary to your well being. It really does fulfill their mission.

And, by the way, don't you DARE back out of surgery now. Having a shiny new heart for Christmas is the best present you ever had. You'll be a new man, ready to go on with the second half of your life.

We're rooting for you, you know, all the way.:)

Marco:
You hang in there and get the treatment you need. You have a whole lot of folks here who care about you. In an earlier post you asked, "Has anyone read 'Footprints?" At this point I only see one set." You see, you really are not alone in this. We know why you only see one set now.

Footprints in the Sand (Written by Mary Stevenson)

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonged to him and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the LORD about it. "LORD, you said that one I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

THe LORD replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you saw only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you."

Keeping you in my prayers,
Blanche

Blanche.....That was really nice. I've read it before, but it was good to see it again.

Marco...I think if you ever thought about changing your mind, you just might have about 300 people storming that hospital and forcing you to stay there to get that surgery. You will definitely be in MANY members prayers tomorrow.....I certainly hope you're able to sneak down to that library or have someone post just two words.....I'M HERE!!! on Tuesday. We're all pulling for you.

Just so you know, my husband, who had AVR this past June 26 is outside as we speak splitting wood (with a log splitter) and thinking he's 18 again---the crazy old man!!! It's like playing in the snow all over again.

Evelyn

Hey Marco, only two more days to go! YAY! I know how being in the hospital can drive a person nuts! Being woke up at like 5AM after only an hour of sleep to be asked if you can breathe alright laying flat down. THAT was annoying! I tried to walk like 10 feet once and tripped over my foley cath! I ended up with my head on the floor and my butt in the air. I was trying to get at a pair of pajama pants my husband had brought me. Problem was, he'd put them where I couldn't reach them! Aafter that I was a fall risk even after I had promised them I wouldn't do that again, I had to keep my door open. THAT was aweful! I'm surprised that a hospital like UCLA wouldn't bring a computer to you. I am sure that UWMC would've if I would have requested one! (the UWMC is the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle). I also know that they have computers in the waiting rooms near the operating rooms for the families. Just know that we all understand and are rooting for a fast and uneventful surgery and recovery!:D Hang in there:cool:

Hi Marco

Hi Marco

I'm the one that found you lurking at the bottom of the forum and told you to post up higher..Have read everything and know you will be just fine..:) :) You never mentioned a family. Do you have one? If not you just became a cousin to about 50 of us..Now, I'm from the South..and you will have to learn to speak southern as Hey Yall:D I'm doing just fine when you write back:D Bonnie

I'm from the south, too and ya'll know we have cousins behind every bush - you remember BillyBob and Bubba - they're our cousins, right Bonnie? Tuesday is nearly here and maybe this time it's a go? No emergencies? Who's gonna take care of you when you go home? You never mentioned family. Pray that all goes well for you and just in case you get into library tomorrow to read all these, my cheer is - GODSPEED

Hey Mario, congrats on making it this far. That second set of footprints has always been just an illusion anyway; it's always just been one set in reality (His)!

I know what you're going through with the panic attacks. Had them for a while 16 years ago after surviving the terrorist point of attack at the Rome airport in 1985 that killed about 20 and wounded about 100. Didn't know what they were at the time.

Never had them since until last spring when my valve starting leaking again and had a few near fainting episodes, landing me in the hospital via ambulance a number of times. I finally got the panic under control with breathing and a jugular pressing technique to lower my heart rate that they taught me in the ER. They can also give you Valium or one of its cousins to keep you from panicking if you need.

Hang in there. Your buddies here will help you through whatever bumps in the road you encounter, and then, of course, there is that other help!;)

God bless.

Bonnie...

Bonnie...

..if it weren't for your invitation to Heart Talk I would've been left without a reason to return to this website.

I almost didn't get in this time (medical library). When I was given the reasons (as I posted earlier), I went into my 'look 'em in the eye and shut-up!' mode (--the see who breaks the silince tactic, --the primary negotiator CANNOT break it!). I have about ten different negotiating tactics (yes, getting on my knees and begging is one of them).

--Even if my original post, in a way was a lie, it wasn't intentional I was only going with what I though was so.

Now I'm wondering where I learned or heard about pig valves in 1963, I've never delved into such subjects before my first post in this board.

----Nancy,

"About a year later he appeared in failure and was operated again with bypass and an attemp to suture the hole in one leaflet was made (artificial valves were not available at the time )".

After my first operation. I went home to find the 'gang' playing touch football (half of the teams consisted of girls), since there was a slot I 'jumped in' (my mother was at work when I got home). I don't remember why I got to go back in, I thought I was doing fine.

"He did well for about ten days and his diastolic pressure went down and it was apparent the hole opened up. He was
reoperated and the hole patched with a plug of ivalon sponge".

When I got to the 'typical' hospital room (no tubes and free to move) I felt so good and decided that I had to 'tone' my muscles, you know, for the girls, I started on a regimen of push-ups. After that I don't recall what happened.

Yesterday, Sunday I had another anxiety attack (both because of complaining, cry-baby patients).

Saturday evening, this 40-something year-old accross my bed asked me (in front of his daughter/son-in-law) what I was in for and I replied, I'm going for surgery Tuesday (I didn't even mention the type of surgery). Immediately he blurps, you're lucky, you're up and around, I've got cancer, I'm worse off then you are and started his sob story. After that episode I didn't want to cross words with him again, and didn't.

From this point on I felt he hated me for my 'being is such great shape.' What he didn't know was that come Tuesday I could be in the 20% of statistics (my chances are 80%, I was told that 90% is for first timers).

That's ONE of the reasons I was 'postponing' the operation for two years, I was trying to put my 'operation money' together so that I wouldn't be thrown into a 'warehouse' (four patient room) full of 'lunatics.'

It is known that individuals with chronic pains feel worse when 'the spouse' is near-by (I cannot imagine why), though one observation I've noticed is that my pains/condition GET WORSE when inside a hospital.

I would rather keep clear of hospitals up until the operation date. Patients should be allowed in and out provisions between all those tests, ESPECIALLY the out portion, --to stay away as much as possible!

On the question of family:

My ex and 'grown' angels are in Austin TX (two wonderful sons, a master plumber and the younger one a journyman, and two wondeful daughters, my oldest daughter is in Lubbok TX in law school. --I 'delivered' my daughter, Valerie, in Denver, May 5th --with the the last snow of the year, --the ambulance didn't arrive fast enough, eventhough it only took them a minute to arrive! ).

Where else in the world do they have this type of service!

I divorced in '88 or '89, or it might've been in '87. My other two exes (not by marriage) are in El Paso TX and are the ones (besides my angels) that made my life worth living.

Have you heard the country western song, "--All my exes are in Texas?"

--Yes I'll have 'family' on operation day.

Tomorrow morning is D Day!

THX & God Bless "ya'll"

Last edited:
What a story, Marco-

You really must write all this down and maybe think about doing a book. You're unique.

I'm wishing you the very best surgical result tomorrow. You've made it this far, you'll do just fine tomorrow. I'm sure your surgeon finds you "special" too. You can't feel any worse than you do right now, so having surgery will make you feel so much better.

Is there someone who can post on this forum for you, to let us know how things went? Of course we're all hoping that you'll drag your bod down to the library to post a message, but that probably won't happen right away. You'll be out like a light for a little while.

Bon Voyage and smooth sailing.

Wow, you have 6 pages on just this subject! Isn't that just about as many as Ross had when he went in??? YOu have gotten quite the reaction, Marco! You will do great during your surgery and recovery...if you are in great shape now, you'll do great! We'll be waiting to hear how your surgery went tomorrow! Good luck, and DON'T BE NERVOUS!:D :) I know that's not easy, but try;)

Glad Family will be with

Glad Family will be with

Tell one of them to go and post to us as soon as possible..You will be just fine..Bonnie

Latest posts

Back