weird symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all keeping well!
I am now 3 weeks post surgery and I am definitely getting stronger, I am getting out each day walking and a little bit of retail therapy of course 😁 my after care with the NHS has been poor from discharge, I had a district nurse who was meant to remove my stitches and monitor my BP, but she said I had to go to the nurse at the GP surgery for my stitches to be removed. From the beginning I haven't settled with my beta blocker - Bisoprolol 1.25mg and it affected my bp by sending it too low 95/58 I am constantly light headed it does get better later in the day just before bed 111/79 so the bests parts of my days are before I take it in the morning and when it is wearing off, as I have stated on an earlier post I was having tingling and numbness in my face which frightened me and I saw the GP who felt all was fine but she refused to follow the guidance of my discharge sheet and did not want to titrate the bisoprolol due to mybp and heart rate. These symptoms have lessened since I saw her but today I started with different ones, I am still feeling light headed but I am now experiencing tingling and pins and needles in my left hand and earlier today my right hand and arm felt numb, I am still also feeling tingling on my lips, my question is does or has anyone else experienced this? It is quite frustrating as I feel I am recovering well from the actual surgery 😷.
Deb xxx

I felt a similar sensation in my left arm about 3 weeks after surgery ... I thought it was because, at getting some post-surgery bloodwork done, I felt like someone hit a nerve. However, the tingling sensation didn't occur until a couple days after the blood work ... it lasted on & off for 7 to 10 days & haven't had any more since ... I chalked it up to my becoming more mobile.

Hi Anne,
yes I am aware that bisoprolol causes tingling and numbness in the extremities, I am constantly on the internet researching it ☺but it is so frustrating one minute I am plodding around feeling pretty smug how I am coping then out of the blue another mystery symptom occurs, I think I maybe a little over sensitive and reacting to every little sensation, but if it does continue I will go and see my GP.
Thanks Deb xxx

Bisoprolol 1.25mg and it affected my bp by sending it too low 95/58 I am constantly light headed it does get better later in the day just before bed 111/79 so the best parts of my days are before I take it in the morning and when it is wearing off
I've been taking Coreg (carvedilol) for a few years, and take it in two doses, morning and night. I take lisinopril at night so that any sleepiness, dizziness, etc won't make any difference while I'm asleep in bed.

I had several mystery symptoms - visual disturbances like a migraine aura, even one that felt like tightness in the chest (turns out to be a pinched nerve in my neck that's probably unrelated) - after surgery for a few months. When I asked my cardiologist about them, he said, "look, you've been hit by a truck, so you should expect some of this stuff." He did tell me to take a baby aspirin for the migraine like aura and that made it go right away. I stopped the aspirin after a month and it hasn't returned.

Hi MtBiker,
Thank you for your response, these symptoms still come and go, I to experience migraine with aura, have done for many years, but they had lessoned greatly by the time I had my AVR, but started again the day after, I am now nearly 5 weeks post and I have had about 6, I already take baby aspirin daily, the only thing that shifts mine is Ibroprofen.
I am still experiencing the tingling and pins and needles more so in my extremities and according to the information supplied on the beta blocker Bisoprolol, this can be a side effect, but I am seeing my GP on Monday so will discuss it with her.
Your Cardio is right about being hit by a truck, I expected to heal quickly but I seem to have a couple of good days with energy then feel exhausted for a couple, but I feel it is the nature of the beast.
Have a good weekend
Deb x

I'm still getting migraine auras at 11 weeks post-op (zigzagging patterns of light circling in vision), I'm getting them on average every other day but no headache, plus little blobs of silver crossing my vision every day. These symptoms were more frequent during the first 5 weeks. I was on a higher dose of beta blocker at that point and am now halved but I don't know if these symptoms are beta blocker related or OHS related. Doubtless my cardio will say I've been hit by a truck too - he already said earlier, "it's like you've been in a major car accident" ! Now they tell us !!!!!

I'm still getting migraine auras at 11 weeks post-op (zigzagging patterns of light circling in vision), I'm getting them on average every other day but no headache, plus little blobs of silver crossing my vision every day. These symptoms were more frequent during the first 5 weeks. I was on a higher dose of beta blocker at that point and am now halved but I don't know if these symptoms are beta blocker related or OHS related. Doubtless my cardio will say I've been hit by a truck too - he already said earlier, "it's like you've been in a major car accident" ! Now they tell us !!!!!

Hi Anne,
I have suffered with migraine for many years, but since AVR my symptoms are very similar to yours, zigzag patterns in vision but no headache after, usually last for about half an hour then clear, also floaters in my vision as I call them. I too had more immediately after operation, I remember having 3 migraines in one day on one occasion, but mainly about 3 a week on average since. I’m not sure if it is the beta blocker I am on (bisoprolol), although it’s a low dose 1.25mg, or if it is because I am now on warfarin now for life. It’s been 11 months since my OHS, I’m due for a follow up soon with the cardiologist so I will try to find out what he thinks then.
Phil

Interesting to hear so many people had the auras come back after surgery. I had pretty much written off migraines in my late 40s having had them since I was about 14. In my 40s I got them very infrequently and they were only ever auras without pain, but right after the surgery they came back.

I've been amazed throughout my recovery at how my body has been able to heal from all these things. It just takes time and patience.

Latest posts

Back