Weird ekgs...what do

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj/utvolsfan

I have a couple of questions.....I am having non-heart related surgery this week and during pre-admissions testing, I had an abnormal EKG. I am wondering does anxiety affect EKGs? ??? Another thing - I had been giggling, but held still for the test and the tech said something about that possibly affecting results...although she did 3 more reads and they were all weird too. I don't know where this is coming from...never had abnormal readings until now. Just wondering what non-serious things can affect ekg?
Another question....I am having the surgery at a surgery center not at a hospital. I would prefer the hospital but needed the surgery a few months ago and doctor isn't at the hospital for 4 more weeks. Just wondering if we post-op heart people are safe and good to go in a surgery center???? Surgeon said he could "call" someone if there is a problem :eek: Call someone??????? Gives me the feeling that he'd be getting step by step instructions over the phone while the other guy is fighting interstate traffic to get to the surgery center.... I'd feel better if he could "nudge" someone into action if there's a problem. Guess it goes back to the old question...are we fixed or do we have heart conditions/heart disease that make us require special arrangements?
Feeling frustrated,:eek:
Debbi

For an accurate EKG you must remain totally still and silent. Giggling, talking, nervousness, etc, can all cause strange readings. It's best that a Cardiologist reviews your strip before going any further here. It's possible for us to go to a surgery center, but if your EKG is weird now, I would not want to risk it.

I would agree with Ross, but there's probably nothing worth worrying too much about. As your heart reshapes after surgery, it's very possible for an EKG to do some interesting things. You just said it was "abnormal". Is it possible that you were just having some PVC's? I still have a slight arrythmia, but the Cardio said it was slight and will eventually go away on its own. Might be the same for you...

cardio and surgeon consulted this am and i am going through with surgery. i am hopng you are right...my ventricle muscle was revised from several different angles three different times during ohs so i figure it is still trying to find itself ...so to speak! :rolleyes:
thanks for your input.
debbi

I have been under tremendous stress for some months now. Went to my dr 2-3 weeks ago. His nurse picked up that my heart was irregular. Then the dr came in and he did, too. They did an EKG and said all was ok. I was too ill to move a muscle, tho and was very still while it was done.

I have had several non heart related surgeries (4 in a surgical center {eye surgeries}- one in a hospital and it was major surgery). NO problems with my heart.

I didn't have valve rep tho - several bypasses.

Back