Weight versus Resistance Training

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I finally figured out that I have been asking the wrong question. I keep asking my doctors and nurses: When can I start lifting weights? I should be asking about resistance training. Here is an interesting link: http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/exercise-heart-attact-cardiac-rehabilitation.htm I do not know how old this article is, but the referenced material is over 15 years old.

I plan to discuss it with my rehab nurses, maybe this will get them off of the diet and depression lessons. Today, they discussed depression in cardiac patients, it turned out to be a depressing topic.:rolleyes:

The only time we use resistance in rehab is during warm up and that lasts only 3 to 5 minutes. There is not much upper body resistance on the cardio machines. The machines do work the legs though.

If people are interested, I will post more on resistance training, if it relates to cardiac patients, as I find it.

Another thing I am considering is posting on cardiac rehab and what I am going through, again if people are interested. What I am going through now is a lot different than what I went through in 1996.

Rehab

Rehab

Rehab programs obviously vary. Mine included both upper and lower body resistance training work as well as aerobic work.

Unfortunately, my program didn't include any components which covered the depression issues which commonly occur after OHS. I wish my program has included some sessions about depression. I can tell you from experience that dealing with post traumatic stesss syndrome is a real bummer. Consider yourself lucky that your rehab program nurses took the time to visit with you about depression. Hopefully, they gave you some tips to help you avoid it. If the depression stuff hits you, it can be a tough thing to beat.

-Philip

I am probably a little more glib about the topic of depression than most people. I have been dealing with serious health issues for so long that I have developed my own coping mechanisms and it bothers me when they corner me and start their digging into my state of mind.

One interesting thing I did run across while searching for resistance training and cardiac rehab was at www.beaumonthospitals.com . Their rehab program includes a cardiologist, physiologist (PHD), rehab nurse, dietitian, exercise physiologist, and psychologist or psychiatrist.

My rehab program consists of 2 rehab nurses, who started the program and monitor us, and a GP who stops by for 2 minutes for each class.

Coping

Coping

I'm glad you have great coping mechanisms. Hopefully, you won't have any issues.

Please keep things in perspective. The reason they're taking the time to visit with you about your mental health is because post truamatic stress syndrome is a common problem for OHS patients. Obviously, you can have any perspective you want, but they're probably just trying to look out for you; be glad they care enough to corner you.

I was totally shocked when post traumatic stress syndrome hit me. I came through surgery easily, only took five days off work, started a cardiac rehab program a couple of weeks after surgery, and thought my life was moving along just fine. All it took was one negative event to trigger the bad stuff.

When I called my cardiologist's office about the severe depression that hit me after a couple of months post op I learned that the staff had a betting pool going on me. I don't know who won, but one of the nursing staff members was really bummed because she had bet that I would make it through recovery and rehab without getting nailed with any depression stuff.

The depression was so bad I could have killed myself without even a second thought. What was really disturbing is that I was going to. If my wife hadn't stopped me I would have. I had never had a self destructive thought in my entire life. Once I found out what was going on, I thought I could beat it on my own. I couldn't; I needed help. I've dealt with a lot of really bad, stressful situations, but I hadn't ever encountered anything as bad as post truamatic stress syndrome. What happened still haunts me. I never knew my brain could harbor such dark thoughts.

I really hope you manage better than I did.

-Philip

Philip,
When I say I am more glib than most, I am not trying to say that I discount depression as a serious issue. I have lost a couple of close family members to depression that was not treated properly.

I don't think I am managing better because I am just managing for myself. Everybody has to deal with this stuff in their own way. In fact, in this go around I accepted more help from company provided benefits than I have in the past. I just prefer to pick and choose who helps and what form of help that takes.

I will say, I am a good boy in rehab and keep my mouth shut for the most part. Except when it comes to SSRIs, those things killed my mother.

Just to add to this topic. I had been a poster boy for doing good after surgery until I started doing maybe too much at rehab or maybe just finding walls of what I can do. Anyhow you are right I have been hit with depression like a train and it is surprising. My rehab does not do crap about it and my cardiologist seems to want to get as far away from any patient as she can as fast as she can. I am calling my insurance nurse today to get a referral for some one that actually will just talk to me. This all came about after I got active again and gets worse after workouts.

Cardio

Cardio

Hi James,

It sounds like you need a new cardio doc.

While I didn't do a lot of talking to my cardiologist or his staff, he was quick to respond with meds to help me. The meds didn't solve the problem, but did help enough to keep me from hurting myself. I still had to work at getting my brain back in positive mode. For me, the problem was focused upon having to make decisions at work which had negative impacts upon people. I spent a lot of time talking to my spouse, co-workers, and supervisor to work through the issues. Physical activity helped a lot too.

-Philip

Even though it was 18 years ago, I remember vividly a bout of depression several months post-surgery. I had AVR in July and that November we took a vacation to Florida but I did not enjoy one minute of it. I fell into such a funk I was miserable about everything and to everyone. I never did a rehab program but I was back in pretty good shape running 2-3 miles at a clip by then. I just got back into the routine at work, kept on doing my daily runs and eventually snapped out of it after a few weeks.

Hi James,

Yes I find the same to be true of medical Dr's . I was depressed for quiet a long time. If you can't seem to overcome it yourself, by all means go to a counselor. You won't find that kind of help with your cardio. You will feel better in time. Depression is very common in heart patients.

Doug,

That sounds like a great idea! I would certainly be interested, and I'm sure there are others on this forum that would be too.

Just to add to this topic. I had been a poster boy for doing good after surgery until I started doing maybe too much at rehab or maybe just finding walls of what I can do. Anyhow you are right I have been hit with depression like a train and it is surprising. My rehab does not do crap about it and my cardiologist seems to want to get as far away from any patient as she can as fast as she can. I am calling my insurance nurse today to get a referral for some one that actually will just talk to me. This all came about after I got active again and gets worse after workouts.

Gosh, James, sorry to hear this. I know what it's like. Several years ago I was dealing with awful depression. I have taken every antidepressant that was created before 2003. Between not working and side effects, there was not one med I could take. At the time I did not have insurance because I was unemployed. I was seeing a doctor through a county program for meds, the ones that didn't work or shot BP over 200. I found out about a counseling center and qualified for very low fees.

I saw a cognitive behavioral therapist. She changed my life. In less than 3 months, I got out of the depression; a month later, I got a new job (and insurance!). I highly recommend cognitive behavioral therapy.

I really hope you're better soon.
Luana

Back