weight training?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like most who posted here, my doctors told me no maxing out on the weights. Loads with 15 reps or more were ok. I did not realize until my last two stress tests prior to surgery what was going on with the BP. Prior to BAVR surgery my BP ran between 130/35 and 145/45. The low diastolic numbers were due to the inefficient valve. However, during my last two stress tests my BP ran up to 250/50 and they had to stop the tests even though my METs were 11 and better. The heart was strong but the arterial system had to compensate for the inefficient valve.

4 weeks post op and I am delighted to say my BP at rest has been 130/75! I cannot remember when the diastolic was above 50mmhG. On the eliptical it rises to 165/80, not bad considering my systolic was hitting 250mmHg prior to surgery.

Having had an aortic anuerysm as well was also a reason I had to lighten up on the weights. You may want to read up on the effects of weight lifting and the propsensity for aneurysms. A arterial blow out is a consequence not worth devloping over any benefits from a workout program. High BP is a significant contributor to aneurysms. What your BP does during weight training is thus also am important factor.

No question, staying in shape for surgery was and is a significant factor for how well I handled the surgery and my post op recovery. I am glad I kept it ip right until the day I was admitted.

Best wishes...Vincent

BAVR with 27mm ON-X NYP Weill Cornell Dec 19, 2008.

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice. Decisions that affect your health and wellbeing are ultimately yours and your doctors.

excellent comments; a wide pulse pressure., ie., the difference between systolic and diastolic numbers is characteristic of aortic valve regurgitation. Therefore, the very low diastolic number can be misleading. Once the valve problem is corrected via replacement the numbers come closer--the wide differential closes.

However, prior to surgery and even thereafter, the systolic can spike very high and this does present a problem to those with an aneurysm. That is why I advised caution, regardless of what the surgeons may say. The sternum heals and lifting weights should not present a "musculo-skeletal" problem to the sternum. However, I wish to protect my aneurysm repair as best as possible.

My life or who I am isn't defined by "how much" I can bench press or curl, or squat. Keep in mind that we exercise to remain functional for as long as possible. Therefore, think lighter weights, higher reps, avoid a valsalva (or breath holding) response and consider longevity instead.

Having used weights regularly when I was younger, after my MV re-placement I wanted to take this type of exercise up again. Being 60 years old means I'm not as bothered about heavy weights as I was but I still think it's important to keep up one's strength. The key is, more reps,more sets and less weight. Doug.

Maybe in the UK cardiologists are more progressive than here. When they did my first ECHO, the cardio said "you have severe regurgitation, but the ventricle is functioning super-normal, whatever that means, and you are asymptomatic, so no surgery now". I went to another cardio who was much better in terms of explaining things. She said "asymptomatic" really doesn't mean much until you run tests, coz you could be living with symptoms not knowing it. So she did a TEE and a stress test for me. But her conclusion was the same, to wait. I am wondering what size ventricle is considered enlarged and why my cardio isn't concerned about getting it fixed before damage.

I have a read a few papers about the subject of criteria for surgery and the current recommendation is to do surgery before damage, since the risk of OHS is now quite low, and especially if it can be repaired. In my case, repair is very unlikely because my prolapse is the anterior leaflet.

Back to weight training, I'd be careful with it. CA governator Arnold Schawarzeneger (sp?) apparently blew his valves out early by weight training. Not trying to scare you, but well.. you should be careful, maybe more reps with less weight.

OK, off to starting my day as you end yours..keep us posted.

I was at Stanford after Arnold was for my AVR. I was told not to do what he did. He got back on the weights too soon and broke his sternum open and had to return for repair! I was told not to use more than 1/2 of my body weight, with high reps. My surgery was just 6 months ago and I have just started lifting again. Low weights, high reps!!:cool:

Latest posts

Back