Weight Gain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryG

Another question? As far as weight gain is there an average of what to expect? I hear you gain quite a bit of weight from the surgery, is this because of water retention or what can it be attributed too.

As usual thanks for the help, you folks are terrific.....yeh for VR.com
:eek: 13 days plus a wake-up and counting............!

My husband has had 5 thoracic surgeries. I can't say that he has EVER gained weight from them. Rather, after surgery there is some weight loss. It does return, though. Any unusual weight gain after surgery, for instance 2-3 pounds in a day, need to be discussed with the cardiologist or surgeon asap, to make sure that there isn't some unwanted fluid retention going on. That is not a good thing, and can be corrected with proper diet (low sodium) or medication (duiretics).

Weight ?

Weight ?

Hi Harry
I can only speak from my personal experience. I had OHS this past January and actually lost 12lbs after surgery. I attribute it to loss of appetite from the anestesia and pain killers. I agree with what Nancy said, if you see weight gain in a significant amount you should consult with your surgeon.
P.S. Once I was fully recovered, about 7 weeks post op, I gained 10 lbs. of the weight back! So much for staying skinny for the summer!
Best of luck to you, keep us posted.
Dawn

Harry, I lost about 10 pounds. And 3 months post-op, I've managed to keep off a solid 6 lbs.

Harry

Harry

You will probably lose 10-15 lbs the first weeks after surgery. Food taste yucky :eek: :eek: If you are able to walk ..you may can keep it off. but summer heat..you may not feel up to walking much outside...and it will creep back up....(weight)....The first thing I craved was a Windy's Cheeseburger :p :p Loaded...so I gained my 15 lbs back and 10 more. :eek: :eek: I walk everyday..but do not want to diet. Feel bad when I do..and my INR is in range. More important for me than being skinny at my age..64... I do watch the bread and potaoes and sweets...Bonnie

I gained 40 lbs!

I gained 40 lbs!

Hey Harry,

I had surgery when I was 33 Years old.

From the time I was 17 until then, I weighed about 155 lbs. Within 6 months after my surgery, I weighed 195 and have pretty much stayed there for the last 5 years.

Who knows why, but I'm pretty sure it was the surgery.

I initially lost ten pounds, but I gained it back and added five new pounds. And it really doesn't want to leave. I think my weight gain was from wanting to eat everything interesting I see after my appetite came back.

Everything looks better, smells better, tastes better now.

There may be an element of compensatory comfort eating involved at the beginning as well.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back