Weight gain/loss after your surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichardson

During your recovery, especially in the initial days/weeks following the surgery, how much weight did you gain/lose?

I'm currently at 194 pounds (thereabouts), and I'm exercising most days, and I've changed my diet to include more grains and vegetables. I'm assuming another couple of pounds will probably come off before my surgery.

But my question is more this: How much weight (if any) did you gain/lose during your recovery? Especially if you were working out on a regular basis and could only walk for a bit?

i lost 25 lbs. when i was released from the hospital (i went from 200 to 175). i'm 3 mos post op now and am hovering around 178ish. i'm trying to eat better and definitely being more active. at 5' 10" i think my ideal weight should be just under 170 so i have a little more work to get there.

tsanjose;n862339 said:
i lost 25 lbs. when i was released from the hospital (i went from 200 to 175). i'm 3 mos post op now and am hovering around 178ish. i'm trying to eat better and definitely being more active. at 5' 10" i think my ideal weight should be just under 170 so i have a little more work to get there.

I've seen a range on people losing weight. Thanks!

I was just verging underweight when I went in for surgery and by the second week post op had lost 9 lbs taking me to seriously underweight with a BMI of only 16.7. Thankfully I regained the weight a few months later. If you want to lose weight heart surgery is a good way, but immediately after you will seem to weight more than before as I think they give you a lot of fluids during surgery which your body retains for a while - that's why they give diuretics for a couple of weeks or more.

After surgery, I gained about 15 lbs. of fluid, which took the better part of a month to dissipate. After that, I found that I had lost about 12 lbs., but over the next year, I gained it back. I am now almost 5 years out from surgery, and I hover at a steady weight that is about 5 lbs less than my pre-op weight. In my case, I don't think that surgery had anything to do with my weight, other than occasional fluid retention due to dietary sodium.

Mrichardson
A month ago today l had MVR root repair and mitral valve repair. I gained 22 lbs of fluid after or during surgery in which l lost over my 15 day hospital stay. I left the hospital at my admission weight and have since lost 6.1 kg or 13.48 lbs.since Jan 18th. I think l'm eating well enough maybe a bit healthier since pre surgery. I will say tho l gained alot of weight pre surgery. In fact since my diagnosis 3 years ago l literally doubled my weight from lack of energy and exercise with extreme shortness of breath. I am not getting any exercise even walking since surgery has been very little. I start post cardio rehab rehab next month and attended 2.5 mths pre cardio l didn't lose during that time but tightened up a bit.

Last edited:
I came in at 163 lbs and got home a week later at 153 lbs. Nearly 5 weeks out, I haven't gained any back, and am watching my diet and walking about 5 km every other day.

quick update for me, i'm now 4 mos out and i'm at 169-170. i've been doing the cardiac rehab 3x's a week and also bought an elliptical for home and eating well. i feel great over all and plan to try and keep this weight.

I am 65 and about 2 weeks after surgery. I was in good shape going in usually exercising 4-5 times a week. I went in at about 181 lbs and am currently at about 184. I was in the hospital for about 8 days and didn't really change weight. I made myself eat a bit for each meal since that is all part of recovery. I have been home almost a week and weight has been +/_ a pound. I plan to stay around 180 lbs

Back