Warm Cuvettes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sean

Hi, we just had a little blackout here. The cuvettes went unrefrigirated for about 27 hours. I think they're good for about one month if not kept cool, but is 27 or so hours enough to make them goners after a month and how will I know when they're no good (error message?)? Also, would refridgeration after the blackout affect the expiration time?

On a related note. Do Cuvettes need to be brought to room temperature before use? I thought that's what ProTime does when it blinks "Warming" after you insert the cuvette, but I read somewhere online that you need to leave them out for about 60 mins before use. I haven't been doing that and it seems to work fine. Thanks.

Sean.

Sean,

I notice that QAS does NOT refrigerate the 4 packs when shipping them so I *assume* they can be used for a few weeks if they are not kept cold.

Also, if you did NOT open your refrigerator during the blackout, it should have stayed cool for several hours. Did you check the temperature when the power was restored? How many cuvettes you have in your refrigerator?

'AL'

Hello Sean

Our cuvettes were also involved with the blackout....we were out about 12 hours, but since they were refrigerated, I'm not too worried about them. We do take them out of the refrig about an hour prior to using them, just to bring them up to room temperature. I don't know if you have to, but we just do.

Evelyn

Yes, you must allow the cuvettes to come to room temperature 30 minutes or more before use. I have done this from the start and I've had no trouble.
Sean, I think you are fine with the cuvettes. I went to Europe this past winter and my cuvettes were out of the fridge that long, and they worked just fine for me after that. And mine were really out of the fridge. I assume yours stayed in the fridge during the blackout and you didn't open the door of the fridge, so in reality they stayed relatively cool.
I seem to have read somewhere that they stay good for 8 days, but where I read that I have forgotten.
QAS- Michelle?

ProTime's "Patient Self-Testing Education Manual" states in part on page 17 under "Preparation of the Curvettes: "In preparing to do the test, take the cuvette out of the refrigerator about 1/2 hour before use."

Thanks for asking the question!!! In over two years, I've never done this. I assumed the instrument was doing the warming. I now wonder how important this is, and if my past INR's are accurate. I'll call QAS tomorrow to ask the question.

I talked to Professional Services at QAS today regarding removing the Cuvette from the refrigerator a half hour prior to use. The answer was yes you should. One of the main reasons is to use less battery power to warm the Cuvette. Also, if if is very humid, moisture could collect in the opening and affect the test results. There were other reasons I didn't record. The upshot of our conversation was: Yes you should for several reasons, but as long as you don't get error messages the results are not affected.

Latest posts

Back