Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is quite normal to require higher doses as you recover. You metabolize warfarin more efficiently and usually take in more vitamin K because you are eating better.

I have been adjusting my own warfarin with my cardio's blessing. I am his only patient to do so and also the only one with my own pro time machine. My inr has been more stable since I have been adjusting myself. I was talking to sue barrett a rn at qas and she sent me an article on a study of dose changes. It's titled Frequent prothrombin time testing reduces inappropriate warfarin dose changes. It is a very good article.
The results summary stated that patients maintained with frequent pt testing can be allowed to fluctuate outside "tight" target ranges yet within expanded therapeutic ranges without exposing the patient to hemorrhagic or thrombotic risk. It gives graphs that are easy to follow and the flexible expanded therapeutic ranges.
This made total sense to me as this is how I am managing my own warfarin. I am doing a better job than the coumadin clinic nurses. I know myself and how my inr changes with the slightest dose change. It was just a little over a year after my surgery that my doc was willing to let me handle myself and I am doing so much better. I test weekly and my inr has only been out of range (low at 2.1) one time. I do not adjust if it is just over my range, although I do adjust if it is less than 2.5 as my doc wants it as close to 3.o as possible. He would prefer it closer to 3.5 but as I have had some monthly bleeding problems, he wants it at a tighter range of 2.5-3.0.
I recommend this article.
Gail,
p.s. It was a fumble!!!

Gail, Could you put the title, author, and what journal and issue that article came from in a message.

I think that you are 100% correct in what you are doing. And you are proving it by not having problems.

Good for you Gail. Feel like I just read my personal experience. Identical circumstances.

Have been on my own for a little over a year.....self regulate....and never been better! Those Coumadin nurses had me all messed up.
Testing once a week.

'It's a good thing".!

Hi Mr Rx

Hi Mr Rx

The article sent to me was presented at Anticoagulation Forum May 13-15, 1999
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Long list of authors: Tiffany Gunneman, R.Lynne Ruybalid, Alan K. Jacobson, Betsy Snell, Jorge Mouro, Marcia Zucker, Frank LaDuca, Jerry Petis Memorial VA Hosp, Loma Linda,CA, Internat'l Technidyne Corp, Edison NJ. Whew!!
Gail

Bad news - senior moment. I was at the meeting in Vancouver. I was even at the presentation. Unfortunately it was the last presentation and everybody was getting ready to go home.

I even have the journal in which it was published.

MATXR can blame being on the pump too long. All I can blame it on is truning 60 later this year!! Maybe it wasn't the pump, Marty.

Senior moment?

Senior moment?

You're entitiled, Al turning 60! However we remember the important stuff don't we? Hope to see you for breakfast again at one of these AC Forums.

Latest posts

Back