Warfarin Schedule

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I'd be scared to follow this routine with Skyler.

What we usually do is up his daily dose (8.5mg) by 2mg for the day after he forgets... He usually takes his meds in the morning, but if it's been a half day, he'll take them all in the evening. If a full day, then we up by 2mg or so depending on his activity and diet level.

Since warfarin is a slower-metabolizing drug than many others, taking up to 48-72 hours for a dosage to show its full effect, it's not going to hurt to compensate forgotten doses this way. And I did run it past my PCP and my cardio.
If you're only upping a dose by 2mg and he takes 8.5 daily, then he's still down 6.5 for the week -- if I follow your train of thought. The larger the dose you take, the more of a nosedive you take when you don't take your usual dose. For example, a person who only takes 3mg daily won't see a significant nosedive in his/her INR if a dose is dropped.
I take 5mg Tu-Th-Sat-Sun and 5.5 on M-W-F. I recently forgot a 5.5mg dose -- noticed it the next day. So I took 5mg + 3mg that day, for a total of 8mg. The next day I took my usual 5.5 + the remaining 2.5mg, for a total of 8mg. My INR may go up slightly temporarily, but I'd rather that than have it drop, since it's in the mitral position.

Latest posts

Back