warfarin dose issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee112

I was out travelling today and noticed I didn't have the correct dosage with me for warfarin.

My normal dose is 6mg on the weekends and 5mg during the weekdays.

I decided to take 6mg today as I only had the packet for 3mg doses today and will decide to take 4mg tomorrow and continue with 5mg thereafter.

Do you guys think this was a wrong move to make?

Thanks

No I don't think you've done any harm.

You know these alternating doses like this are stupid, especially two high back to back.
What was your last INR reading value?
When?

FWIW - Before I started taking 'control' of my own INR (with pillicle's advice), I was on 6MG Sat/Sun/Mon then 5mg the remaining days of the week (this was a total of 38mg a week/avg. of 5.42 each day) with my INR tested on Friday evening. My INR each week for three weeks was 2.8/2.9/2.8. A little high, but not dangerous. I then tried a little experiment and dosed a consistent 5.5mg each day of the week (essentially the same 'weekly' dose as above) and this brought my INR down to 2.2, where it has remained for the last 3 weeks. Everyone is different of course, but this little experiment has helped make life a hell of a lot easier. Same dose each day, not stressing 'cause it's a 'bit high'.

Hi

Ryanvs;n867787 said:
.... I then tried a little experiment and dosed a consistent 5.5mg each day of the week (essentially the same 'weekly' dose as above) and this brought my INR down to 2.2, where it has remained for the last 3 weeks. Everyone is different of course, but this little experiment has helped make life a hell of a lot easier. Same dose each day, not stressing 'cause it's a 'bit high'.

I'm glad I've helped ease your stressing but just wanted to say that its possible that it'll wiggle up to 2.9 or down to 2.2 even with a consistent dose and with a consistent diet.

... it just does :)

Sure, I absolutely agree and understand that it will likely happen. I was more interested to note that dosing the same amount daily brought my INR down despite the same weekly amount as high/low days.

Ryanvs;n867791 said:
Sure, I absolutely agree and understand that it will likely happen. I was more interested to note that dosing the same amount daily brought my INR down despite the same weekly amount as high/low days.
yeah, I thought that's where you were taking it ... it could be as a result of the change in dose regime, but it could also "just have happened" ... no way to be sure without other testing. If your INR does creep up to 2.9 with the consistent daily doses it will support that it was just a coincidence.

My own INR varies like that even with consistent daily doses.

One of these days when I'm bored for a month I'll try taking my dose across the day (ie: 2.5mg morning & evening rather than 5mg every evening) to see if it changes anything.

anyway ... probably just being "verbose"

For a while, I was testing daily, and varied my dose slightly. The INRs vary, based on what doses you've taken and which days you took them.
As others have said, the best practice is to take the same dose every day. If you do five days at a low dose, and test on the fifth day, your INR may seem a bit low. If you take a higher dose for two consecutive days, and test two days later, your INR may seem high.

Taking the same daily dose should result in a more accurate test result because the question of WHICH dose's effects are you seeing.

Back