Walter six weeks later - Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wweir

Haven?t posted in a while and thought I would tell you all how I am doing six weeks after AVR surgery.

First I what to say how happy and pleased I am to hear that Ross is finally back home and getting better each day. Ross was very instrumental in helping me cope with the pre-surgery jitters, fears and concerns. I also want to say it?s great to hear so many others, who had their surgery around the same time I did doing well like Tyce, Bill Aldridge, Scottie, Ross and a lot of others. You know it still boggles the mind when you realize what these surgeons can do.

I usually look at this site in the evening and see how everyone is doing. I always enjoy reading comments from Nancy, Hensylee, Evelyn, Granbonny and so many others who seem to be always upbeat and full of great advice for folks in our situation. I know I should also post some more and will try and fix that.

As for me I am doing pretty well. I walk 30 minutes each day and sometimes twice a day. I lost about 25 lbs which is very good for me. I am also attending re-hab at the Bryan hospital, where the surgery was done. I ride the bike, travel on the treadmill, stair steppers and do some rather bizarre stretching moves.

I have only heard my valve clicking late at night. One night last week it was really annoying but that has been the exception not the rule.

My coumadin level is hovering around 2.6 and I seem to be pretty stable. The key they say is consistency and that I believe is quite true. I am now going every two weeks for blood tests along with Dr. Visits. I am still taking pain pills, usually one a day, as my chest still hurts if I turn the wrong way or if I cough or, heavens forbid, sneeze.

Went back to work three and a half weeks after surgery. As I am at a desk or in meetings I don?t consider that I am really pushing myself. I did get a kick out of the St Jude warranty card they sent me. On the back it says ?THIS IS NOT AN INSURANCE CARD?. The card tells me I have a 25AHPJ-505 model, what ever that is.

Today I am watching Nebraska ? Iowa State game and hope the huskers can get their act together today. So far it does not look good.

Walter

Great to hear from you Walter, I have been wondering. You were certainly one of my most important contributors, since I had my first cath the day of your surgery and your notes to me made me feel pretty connected. You were certainly right about the calm feeling on the way to the hospital.

I have used the pain killers "darvocet n" intermittently with extra strength Tylenol. I have been thinking something was wrong that I could not get off completely. If you are still using and experiencing pain at 6 weeks, I will be a little more tolerant.

Thanks for the post, it helps to hear how you are getting on.

Best wishes and keep up the great progress.

Bill

Hi Walter.....how nice to hear that you're doing so well!!!! Keep up the good work!! I'd like to lose 25 lbs. like you, but the way you did it is DEFINITELY not worth it!!! Anyway, so glad you're doing so great and are back to work---YUCKO!!

We just got home from our first dog show since Tyce's surgery. We lost, but it was such a thrill to see him running around the ring again that it just brought tears to my eyes. There is definitely life post-surgery. It's so nice to get back to normal...the only thing he can't do is lift the generator and we are fortunate enough to have lots of friends who can help out.

Stay well!!! Take care of yourself and keep up that walking.....so glad you're back on the site, I've missed you.

Evelyn

Hi Walter,

I was glad to hear you're doing so well. Exercising is so important. Walking is the best low impact exercise you can do and so beneficial!

Don't let the occasional sound of your valve clicking get you down. Just be happy you can hear it! I find it so reassuring. I don't hear my dual valves too much, just once in a while.

Glad to hear your Coumadin seems to be staying stable too. This is good. Keep up the good work! Glad to see you back online, we've missed you. Take care and God Bless!

Hi Walter!
Great news indeed. I wish I were at your level of progress, but as you know, I had to slide down the stairs a few flights before I started to recover. (Kind of ironic isn't it?) I'm about 65% of normal. Still on O2 and IV Antibiotics, but I'm getting stronger everyday. I've been walking by myself, which is something I couldn't do a week ago. My Primary Doc about lost it when I saw him yesterday. He couldn't believe that I was walking without assistance and wanted to know where my wife was. hehe.

So you hate sneezing huh? Sorry brother, but that's all part of process. OUCH. I sneeze about 6 to 7 times a day and coughing isn't much more pleasant either!

Now, lets hope St Jude doesn't have a recall on our valves! :D

Hi Walter-

I was wondering how things were going with you. Sounds as if you're doing very well indeed. Isn't it a miraculous thing?

Take care,

Hi Walter

Hi Walter

lovely to hear that you are doing so well ...thanks for letting us know ..it makes me feel better to know that things do improve .

I feel things here have slowed up ..I was doing great for a while but then I got a chest infection and that has fairly whacked me ...I feel like I've been run over by another bus ..I'm back on the mend now ..just frustrated at how little I can do ...how isolated I am without being able to drive ..although I'm too tired to go anywhere much anyway ...and I guess I'm a little down about life in general right now . The Dr thinks I tried to come off my pain pills too early so I'm back on them ..i know this will pass but right now I could do with another body to put my brain in LOL.
Has anyone else had bother with their leg where they went in at the groin area ...my leg is giving me jip and I think the stitches were pulled too tight ...okay enough moaning .

Lovely to see Ross doing so well too ...makes me feel guilty for moaning ...but don't want to do it to the family ..they have been so great ..Thanks folks
Scottie

We must apologize, Walter - we have been neglecting telling ya'll about the EVIL SNEEZE! It is so awful, you think you will surely die of pain and then you pray you never sneeze again because you know the next one will definitely be your last sneeze ever! It is terrible - So, ya'll do all you can to avoid it - press your upper lip, pinch your nose, hold your breath - ANYTHING to avoid it. Sorry about forgetting to tell you.

Glad you are doing well, Walter.

Scottie, I would fix you some chicken soup if I could. Well, I could, but would have to eat it myself. Sounds like you have been gobsmacked! Take care of yourself and you are in my prayers as always. Ann

You know you guys are really great. Thanks for the replies to my post. It?s kind of like getting visitors at the house or cards in the mail.

Bill, while I feel pretty good the pain pills do help when I go to bed. I tend to switch sides during the night and as you know that can be an interesting event. So the pills really help a lot.

Evelyn, I am still trying to figure out the relationship between dog show and generator. Hmmmm must be some kind of a obedience thing.

Ross, I sneezed the other day and work and told people later it was like a religious experience. Stood me straight up from the chair. My problem was I tried to hold it in. Bad mistake. I can?t imagine what 6-7 sneezes must be like.

Scottie, Now listen my Scottish friend you take it easy. You sound frustrated that you are not running around already. You just have to take it easy and let things heal. Sorry to hear about the infection but sounds like you are now past that. You are allowed to moan once in a while but please don?t rush anything or try to get off the pain pills too early. If you can, walk as much as possible, around the house, the neighborhood or the highlands, I find it does wonders.

As I said you guys are really great. I have a fellow who works for me that is facing mitral valve repair or replacement this winter. I showed him the site and I am sure he is looking but has not joined yet. When I showed him the level of detail and friendship here he was most impressed.

Well Nebraska lost to Iowa State today. They looked really terrible. Ooo-fa

Later

Walter

Your not moaning Scottie, your telling it like it is. I too, feel like a badly hammered nail, and I'm alot like you with the feeling of isolation. Keep thinking positive and things will get better. I have a hard time practicing what I preach, but someone is always around the corner to put me in line when I start feeling down again. I'm happy as heck that you got yours taken care of, even if you don't feel great.

11 days home for me and I have made a ton of progress. Sure I'm never going to run again and have even more limitations now, but at least I don't sit and worry about how large my heart is now. ;)

Hi Walter.....Ok, are you ready for this one.....Springer Spaniels, when they are shown in conformation classes, have to be "blown out" ie. ears, legs, chest, skirt, sprayed and "blown dry. They also have to have their ears wrapped after they're dried so they don't curl back up, because you want them to look straight....thus the generator. Most outdoor shows have no power, except the wind, so in order to get the effect, you have to travel with a generator. Actually, we travel with 2 generators when we're on the road with our trailer, but only one was needed today as it was a fairly local show. I can carry everything else we need, like the crates, grooming boxes, coolers, grooming tables, etc., but that damned generator is heavy to lift into the van. Hope that answers your question........sorry about your football scores.

Evelyn

Evelyn,

Thanks for the explanation. When I first saw your post I thought you might be using some kind of shock therapy. Only kidding of course.

Yes my beloved Huskers just can?t seem to get it done this year. They looked like a high school team yesterday,

Walter

Hi Walter.....Just got back from a great walk on the beach with our 4-leggeds---they love it as much as we do as they can get to run free, swim and chase deer in the cliffs.....yes, there are clliffs on long Island, besides the sand......We really do have it nice, we're about 90 miles from NYC and are in horse, farm, and wine country, so we have lots of room to run. We're both walkers, which is nice, so in the summer/fall/spring we walk the beach and in the winter the fields.

Quick question....have you looked into that Protime machine yet? We just love ours; can't say enough good things about it, and just was wondering if you've applied for yours. We were fortunate in that both our insurances considered it durable medical equipment and approved it, no question. I know others on the list are having trouble getting it, but I was wondering if you had contacted QAS.....go for it, it's worth it.

Evelyn

Hi Walter! You sound great! I see my cardiologist for my 1 year post op on tuesday. I am not looking forward to the drive, but always enjoy my day in seattle. My cardiologists secretary is going to watch my 1 year old, and My 3 year old id going to daycare for the day. At least I have the day without Ian. He's a handful. IT will seem like no time at all before you will be going to your one year post op appointment! Glad to hear you're doing so well. Take care!

It's all good

It's all good

This is a great report to see, Walter! I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. Like you, I got a big kick out of the St. Jude warranty card. I'm 5 + months out from surgery and still get a very, very slight twinge when I cough. Not pain, really, just an awareness that something is different there. Also, if I stretch really hard, I get kind of a knuckle-popping feeling along the ribs that I didn't have before. That one actually feels good.

Again, thanks for the report, and you're yet another example of what a positive outlook and a good sense of humor can do for a person. Keep it up!

Johnny

Hi Walter

Hi Walter

I was wondering about you and posted to you..where were you?:D Never heard..;) I am so glad Evelyn explained to us that it was her dogs and NOT Tyce she was having to tie back ears, ect. before dog shows:D :D O.K. Ross, enough layin around the house..I want you to help me put some new stuff under my posts.:D :D Sounds like a quiet few weeks ahead. Only Queenie (Lynette) from Columbia, S.C. Oct. 23rd...My doctors and hospital in Atlanta. Bonnie

Hi Bon....Some times I'd LIKE to tie back Tyce's ears!!! Like when he tries to lift the generator!!!! STUBBORN!!! It's definitely a man thing----and say whatever you'd like about that, Rossman, but it's true!!! Quiet weeks are good weeks. Hey Bon...we're coming "down south" the end of October, but only to visit my cousin in VA and then on to a dog show in Va Beach....Not real close to you, is it? Tyce's INR was 3.6 on Friday and when we tested this morning after eating some salads and spinach over the weekend it was within normal range, not that I consider 3.6 super high. I love this list....no changes in meds, jus some walking and a change in eating.....life is good!! Evelyn

Big Red

Big Red

Hi Walter,

'Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Believe it or not, it keeps getting better! Pretty soon the sneezes and coughs don't hurt nearly as much, and then they don't hurt at all. Your stamina will continue to increase, if you keep exercising and don't fall back into some of those old eating and sitting habits. Try to stick to that low salt, low cholesterol, low fat and low taste (LOL) diet.

It does seem to be a bad year for the Corn Huskers. I guess they're entitled to one every 20 years or so. Even the professional teams have to rebuild occassionally.

I talked to my aunt and uncle in Lincoln yesterday and they were pretty depressed about the team too. They're heading out to Las Vegas for the winter next week, so I'll get to see them again while I'm at the reunion on the 9th. Too bad you can't make it this year.

Take care --- Ron K

Latest posts

Back