Walking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lanna

Hi, everyone. So far my one week check up, has been good. Except for extreme water retention, which is now subsiding with increased lasix. I had my first sneeze (ouch!!!!).

But my questions is to try to get a feel for how much everyone else is being recommended to walk. They said 4 walks a day 1city block each, and by 10 days they want 2 blocks each which is approximately 1/4 mile. 1/2 mile by 18-20 days out and 1 mile by the 4th week out.

Just wondering if this is normal. I can handle 5 or 6 small walks it is the longs ones and then I have 4 steps into my house that seem so tiring.

THanks for any information you can give.

THanks, Lanna
2/26/02 Ross procedure
Dr. Stelzer

walking

walking

You should start with small walks and than build yourself up. You should have been advised on the walking while in the hospital, but there are times when information is sometimes lacking. You came to the right place. Just don't push yourself too quickly. Just gradually get the walks up. Take it nice and slow. You will improve over time. You have to get your strength up and you will be speedwalking in no time. Haw Haw!. You hang in there and come in anytime. You walk as often as you feel up to doing and you will be fine.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. jude's valve

When I was rebuilding myself after transplant (which I am still doing) I was instructed to walk everyday and to increase the distance with each day. Because I had almost completely deconditioned by the time of surgery they let me be my own judge as to when I had had enough. I walked a tightrope between doing just enough and overdoing but it got better with time.

Good luck,

/Jessica :D

The instructions I got were to walk a certain amount of time, not how far. I was to start with only a few minutes and increase it by a few minutes every few days. I once walked out too far and had to sit on the curb until I felt I could go on. You don't want to do that! Also, would recommend bringing a cell phone just in case. I didn't have mine that day and my husband was upset and worried for me. I took it along after that.
Gail

I know there was a whole list of stuff they told me in the hospital, all of which entered the swiss cheese brain I have and disappeared. They probably told me something about walking as well.
I encourage all to go to cardiac rehab as soon as possible. The people I met there were on the same high level as the people on this site, full of loving help, even though I was the only VR patient there.

Lanna-
After my Ross, the doc said to walk by time not distance. He wanted about 10 minutes a day for the first three days and then up it by about five minutes every 3-4 days until I was at 30 minutes by 4 weeks post-op.

I had kind of a hard time with it as my surgery was in July and it was so stinking hot out, I couldn't walk outside during the day and did not really want to go to the mall to walk for fear of catching someone's grubby germs. So I walked a lot in the evening. Luckily, my husband made me walk. I really felt better for it, and it helped with the water retention.

Now, 8 months post-op, I really feel great and am taking up rollerblading! Wahoo!

-Mara

Rehab!

Rehab!

I agree with Jim...if you can, go to Cardiac Rehab...it really helps you build strength while being monitored! You feel safe and have good company! I was the only valve replacement in my group also, Jim.

Other than that, my instructions were very similar to Mara's. I bought a 'glider' to enable me to walk in doors. They are not as expensive as treadmills ..do not have to be plugged in...are not noisy. The guage shows how fast you're walking and how far you've 'gone'. The weather does not matter and you're safe..I watch TV while walking!

The advice to take it slow and easy is very good, also. I was told not to walk any faster than a pace where I could not carry on a conversation. I was also advised as to my heart rate 'target' and to check my pulse to monitor that. I purchased a blood pressure (wrist) thingy..lol..too.

I hope this helps you..

Zipper/Joan *~*

Rehab and walking

Rehab and walking

Last Friday I took what Marty posted recently about METs into my rehab nurses, Debbie and Tracie, but they had already seen it; still it was good to see the rehab group again.
I read while I walk on the treadmill, which makes the time pass for me. However, it does limit how fast I go, lest the book jump around too much.

Latest posts

Back