Vitamin K question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al, thankyou for changing jobs.

Al, thankyou for changing jobs.

I for one really appreciate all the helpful information you give on this forum. I feel very fortunate to be a recipient. It would be hard to imagine you as a behind the counter pharmacist now. Even though you get paid to be an expert, your enthusiasm shines through and I love that.

My PCP told me he didn't think I would have a problem managing anti-coagulation therapy. My PCP really wants me on coumadin now but Cardiology docs want to wait until after surgery if possible. In the meantime I'm learning and preparing so I'll have a better handle on things.

Thanks again,
Betty(bvdr)

Hi Al-

Most everyone starts out modestly. That's where we learn all those hard lessons. Maybe it helps to spur us on to other things.

But you had a dream and took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

You are helping a lot of people each and every day.

Hi Al,

Nancy sure said it right! I have learned so much from you here,and have found your site and your book to be invaluable. Thank You so much for being here for us. I will continue to learn from you and appreciate your time, expertise, and efforts!!!

Zipper:)

You folks are scaring me! Jerry's surgery was Feb, 2002, and we've gradually become more & more relaxed about his diet, etc. The only thing he loves that we've totally sworn off is spinach and other cooked greens. He always loved a big pot of "poke greens" every spring. (You probably have to be from the Ozarks to know about that). He has an occasional salad and would have more if I allowed it. We had "wilted leaf lettuce" 2 or 3 times this spring, but not the huge salad bowl full that would've been the case in years past.

He too loves V-8, but I don't believe he has had any since his AVR. We wouldn't have thought anything about it. He would probably have drunk a quart of it if we had it in the house.

Last Sunday morning when it was time to fill his little pill box squares for the week I discovered that he had failed to take his 7.5 mg Warfarin a week earlier. It was still in the box. He normally takes it around 6-7 pm every day, but our Sunday evening was a little different that day and he completely forgot it, and I forgot to remind him! Can the spouse be a pumphead too??? Anyway, since a whole week had already passed he just went on with the usual med schedule. So far, so good!

Celia don't cut out the loved greens, just don't go overboard about eating a ton. I gotta have my spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli and spear guts (Asparagus). If not for those, I'd probably have NO vegetables at all.

I just have to watch how much I eat of the good stuff. All is well.

A small can of V8 isn't going to be detrimental. If he likes it that much, let him have a 1 small can everyday, but be consistent and expect a possible dosage change in the next test period.

It isn't the pay that keeps me coming back here.

Please don't deny anyone the vegetables that they love. All you have to do is to adjust the warfarin dose up a little to account for it.

If I remember my days visiting my cousins in the Ozarks (where car and wire are rhyming words) eating the pokeberries is more likely to kill him than a mess of the greens. He already forgot one dose and nothing happened, is eating one serving of greens a year worse than that?

Just a note to say HI to a fellow Springfieldian! Small world! :D :D

What everyone has said you don't have to cut them out completely. I slowed down on my green veggies until my levels came back up after the 2nd surgery(1.7) then I started back eating them with the nurse's approval when I hit 3.5. Yeah!!!

I was just wondering who did your husbands surgery. Mine was Dr Steinberg at Cox s. I had MVR 5/5/03 and a Pericardial window 5/28/03.

Take care,

P.S. I did not get anymore info gathered today. Everything that could go wrong did today.

Hi CSutherland - To add to the comments. By all means keep eating those greens, just try to be consistent. When and if your INR gets a little on the high side, don't worry, celebrate with an extra large plate of greenies. Mine happens to be spinach either in a salad or cooked with wine vinager.

Celia,
As my cardio said to me, "eat healty, if it includes greens, eat it. But be consistant. We will adjust the medication to match your food."
So that is what I do. Lots of brocalli. Salads every day. Even some beer sometimes!

Consistancy!!!

carbo

There are hundreds of thousands of vegetarians world-wide who take warfarin.

Upon reading the ingredient label on V-8, I noticed that green vegetable are included so I decided to make my own to,atp dronk. I add some Tobasco sauce to plain tomato juice, and sometimes also a little lemon juice. Tastes fine to me

Herb,

Is it the thin air up there in Boulder or did you add something else and get a Bludy Merry?

(In other words check the spelling of tomato drink)

I sometimes add a little vodka. It is the only way I have of getting rid of my cheap vodka.

I've heard a lot of excuses, but "waste not want not" was never one of them !! lol

104 degrees and 10% humidity in Pueblo today. Whatever you drink just evaporates out of you.

Latest posts

Back