Vision problems post op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to start taking topamax (migraine med) twice a day to control the "shooting lights". I had them before surgery occasionally, but after surgery began having them several times a day. I still have them every couple of weeks even with the meds, but it doesnt last as long.

I had the same thing from right after surgery to about 4 months afterwards. I would periodically get flashing lights that lasted about 15 mins. and went away gradually. My primary care doctor and my opthalmologist told me these were probably occular migraines like others have said in the posts. It is important to get it checked out by your eye doctor to make sure it is not a retinal detachment instead.

I am 6 months post surgery and went to see my eye doctor last week. Everything checks out fine,just needed an upgrade on my reading glasses. I still see "incoming sparkles" time to time and the aura without headache. I believe some is due to meds. Its nothing I can't live with.

I'm now blessed with Borderline Glaucoma. I'm sure it could be natural aging but I'm very suspect of the AVR procedure and it's chemical soup.

Why don't they tell you the possibilities of things before this crazy surgery? My doctor has told me nothing. I felt pretty calm after walking out of the office but the more I read the worse it gets.

What the heck am I doing to myself in two days?

Sorry Ross, I said I wouldn't worry, but I lied.

Me too!

Me too!

I am just over two years post-op and still regularly see all sorts of odd lights, floating prisms, partial curtaining over either eye, sometimes it's like tunnel vision with wavy sides. My eye Doc. (@ wally world) first told me I had partially detached retina then on my second trip to him, 1 yr. later, after filling out my "eye" history he asked me who said I had detached retina......Hmmmmm. Well considering the source and after reading several threads on the subject I now believe my vision issues are some how related to my AVR-root and conduit replacement surgery or some of the medicines I now take. Prior to OHS inNov. 2006 I did not have any issues with my sight or blood pressure. Maybe... I'm just getting older.

I had "floaters" for years before AVR. They look like a rainbow passing across my eye.

Couple years ago I had a floater that was different, it was black specs. Called our Ophthalmologist. He said get to his office ASAP! He examined my eye and sent me to another near by city. Within 2 hours I was having emergency laster eye surgery to repair a detached retina.

A detached retina is a very serious problem. It almost always causes blindness unless treated quickly. Detached retina is usually caused by trauma but wasn't in my case.

The detached retina had nothing to do with my AVR.

I still have the "floaters" but no more detached retinas.

Like I said before, I recently passed my drivers test without prescription lenses. ;)

My son is 2 years since his last surgery. He still has occasional eye problems. He has a hard time describing it, but says that it is usually in one eye and that eye gets "fuzzy". Eventually it goes back to normal.

Back