Very scared!!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one for the update. Again, being scared is completely natural but even more counter-productive, whatever the outcome, worrying wont affect it so try and find the strength to stop. I am a firm, firm believer in positivity having very beneficial effects so try and look at it that way, if you can.

For me it actually took a month of blood cultures and broad spectrum IV before my endocarditis started being properly treated. I did worry a bit (especially when i learned what 'cardiothoracic' meant) but not that much, what was the point? I stayed positive and enjoyed my visitors and trusted the doctors, eventually I got a MMVR and after that (even!) eventually the right antibiotics to cure the endo. Worrying didn't cure it!!

Try and keep that chin up. I know exactly where your head is at but it's counter-productive to spend this time as you are. Imagine this was your last year with your family, we all truly hope it isn't and it sounds very much like it won't be, but try and be strong for them as well as yourself.

Trust the Docs! These heart guys today know so much it's scary! I had my first OHS in 2008. It was an Aortic valve replacement using a Bovine tissue valve. I was fine w/ no complications for two years. I then contracted endocarditis and it went untreated for at least 1 moth due to me thinking it was the flu. Valve transplants! watch out for symptoms and take action!) When they diagnosed it I was put on a regimen of 4 different antibiotics as they tried to treat it w/o surgery. When it became obvious that was not going to work in I went for another OHS. The endocarditis had destroyed my new valve and the aortic root, put a hole in my left ventricle and o hole in my coronary artery. I was on the operating room table for 9 hours and the docs were telling my family to get ready for me to die. Somehow I came out of there alive and here I am. They still had not identified the bug yet. It took the infectious Desease Docs a week to id it. I then had to undergo 6 weeks of antibiotic treatment to kill the bug that almost killed me!
Keep the faith and trust the incredible skill and knowledge of your docs!

Hello guys!!!
Yet another update...
It's been 4 weeks since I had fever.
Everything has come up negative ( blood cultures, tee)
Docs think my fever was due to something else and they are ruling out endocarditis which by the way makes me really happy!!! I feel good and I've felt this way since all this started, the only thing that played on me bad was my anxiety!

Glad to hear the good news about NOT having endocarditis.

Since your Cardid DID find some Pannus Tissue Growth, I would encourage you to have regular EchoCardiograms (at least once per year, maybe even twice) to check for changes / further growth.

IF / When the Pannus Tissue begins to interfere with the valve leaflet operation, it would be wise to consider another Valve Replacement.

IF I had Pannus Growth around a prosthetic valve, my first choice would be the On-X valve since it has a barrier to retard Pannus Tissue from interfering with the leaflet motion. My second choice would be the St. Jude Master's Series valve. You may want to learn more about thse different valve options and discuss them with your surgeon so that you will be better informed when the time comes for replacement.

Best Wishes,

'AL'

Back