Vegetarian replacement for Heparin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwisconsin

Green Bay, WI, Columbus, OH, and Chicago, IL.
I currently have a PICC line for antibiotics which then uses the SASH protocol, Saline, Antibiotic, Saline, Heparin. I am a vegetarian and feel somewhat strongly about not using animal products. I only recently found out where Heparin comes from. This has led me to question if there is another option for keeping the line clear other than Heparin. Since the treatment is working I am leery of changing it; yet, I really don't feel comfortable knowing that pigs/cows are being slaughtered to keep my line clear.

So any ideas out there?

Hey Matt,
When I had PICC line with Vancomycin, my home health nurse advised me that I could just double out the amount of saline when I flushed after the antibiotic. But of course this only happened cause the morons from the home health company failed to deliver sufficient supply of Heparin. But you could ask.

Worst that could happen is the line will clog and if it cannot be unclogged, it means a new PICC line.

I feel somewhat like a hypocrite but at this time I am thinking of just continuing the Heparin for now but will look into changes if I need it again in the future. The idea of having to get another Picc line is not too enticing. I am already paranoid about it getting infected, I don't want to worry about it clogging also.

I feel somewhat like a hypocrite but at this time I am thinking of just continuing the Heparin for now but will look into changes if I need it again in the future. The idea of having to get another Picc line is not too enticing. I am already paranoid about it getting infected, I don't want to worry about it clogging also.

Mine clogged even with the heparin lock. It took some work and about a half hour of time, but I finally got the clog to dissolve and we were back in business. It is possible to clog so bad that it needs replaced however and I, like you, don't want to be doing that twice.

Latest posts

Back