Valves replaced without open-heart surgery in teens

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. They are trying the procedure with pulmonary valves which, I think, are low-stress valves. If they can validate and enhance the procedure to encompass other valves, we may see some great progress in the not to distant future.

This valve was presented to me as the reason for getting a bio valve now instead of mechanical. Because Melody Valves can replace failing bio valves w/o OHS. If you have a mechanical valve fail, it can't be replaced with the Melody Valve. My main concern was the reported, on Melody's website, what seemed to be a high failure rate of the stint portion of the valve. 35% failure rate of the stint in first year. My surgeon down played this and because of other factors I didn't pursue researching the issue, but anyone looking at this valve, should look further into that failure rate.

BTW I opted NOT to do bio valve because I have an interrupted Fem Vein pathway (Femoral Vein doesn't go directly to my heart, so FV caths are out). So, the Melody valve can't be placed in me anyway and I didn't want to risk whether technology would've advanced placement options by the time I may have needed it. HOWEVER, if I could've resolved concerns about the stint failure rate and DID NOT have the Interrupted FV, this new option for replacing a failing bio valve, would've encouraged me to go with a bio valve for now.

I'm one of those folks who had lots of surgeries as a kid for my heart defects. I've led a pretty normal and full life thanks to those surgeons who took a chance and tried the then experimental surgeries on me. Twice, I would not have lived if the Drs and my parents had not felt that an effort might as well be made since I would die anyway if they did nothing. I'm ETERNALLY GRATEFUL for their willingness to try and not give up!!!!!

Linda

Yes Clay, but mechanical vales also have significant drawbacks, namely life long Warfarin.
Imagine a young woman wanting children, heck being a woman at all and dealing with monthly cycles while on Warfarin :eek2:! And any number of other issues that permanent Warfarin use entails. Warfarin management has gotten MUCH LESS scary but is still an issue and requires strict compliance which many young people may not be able to a manage (either for maturity reasons, or changes in health coverage as they separate from their parent's plans, ect...)
Bio valves were primarily encouraged for young patients to lessen lifestyle change issues, the promising use of Melody Valve technology helps lessen the number of OHSs this patient group might need. Until the time in their lives when mechanical valves become more appropriate to their changing situations.

Melody valves are still in development, as we've discussed in other threads, but are a promising alternative for those considering the need for definite replacement of a bio valve at some point.

Linda

And do keep in mind, that there are several other valves which are being installed via catheter, many of them further along and better proven than the Melody. The way the progress and research are going, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years from now, OHS for valve replacement is a thing of the past.

is this the method that takes so much out of the surgeon and it is very intense. i asked about this and my one surgeon said it was only used on those that were too ill for operations. is this the method that scot glen the astronaut had? is it used for the aortic valve?

I'm not sure about it being anymore difficult for the Dr. then any other procedure. In fact probably a lot less than OHS is (for both patient and Doc). I know my cardiologist seemed like he preferred doing Cath Lab valve implants and my surgeon was pushing the future possibility of them.

The procedure is still in research phase (at least the Melody Valves are) so that may be why it's only used in very limited cases right now. I know it is only FDA approved for mercy cases where there are no other good options since it hasn't gotten full FDA approval yet.

I also don't know which kind Glenn had. We think we were at the CC hospital at the same time he was, but of course didn't see him. There is apparently a whole floor known as the VIP floor for dignitaries and super rich folks. The nurses kept mentioning the VIP ward. Not for us low life's of course. But I still felt well treated and cared for even on the regular folks floor. :angel:

Ask your Dr. about it. Mention either Melody Valves or just ask about valves placed in the Cath Lab. Can ask about minimally invasive surgery as well.

Linda

Latest posts

Back