Valve sparing aortic root replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschul

Hello, I am new to the Forum and have learned a lot from reading everyones posts. I am scheduled for a valve sparing aortic root replacement at Northwestern in Chicago and would like to hear from anyone who has had the same experience or has had heart surgery at Northwestern. I live in Southeastern Wisconsin so will be doing a little traveling to get there.

I am 35 y/o and was diagnosed with a dilitation of my sinus of valsalva about two years ago after my doctor heard a murmur. Like everyone else I am very anxious, I never dreamed this could happen there is no family history of aneurysms or anything that would predispose me to having this problem. In fact my surgeon said with my history and age it would be extremely rare that this would occur. Thank you ahead of time for anything you could share. Kris

Hi, and welcome, Kris.
Northwestern is a great facility so I'm sure you'll do well. Sorry I can't help with anything more specific, but I'm sure others will be around to relate any similar experiences.

Welcome to the Circus!

There are a couple people I think, give them time to read up and they'll say a few syllables.

I had my surgery done at Northwestern over 17 years ago. My surgeon is no longer there. Who is doing your surgery? Is it McCarthy or a member of his team?

Oh - and welcome! :D

Northwestern valve sparing surgery

Northwestern valve sparing surgery

I am having one of Dr. McCarthy's partners do the surgery Dr. Malaisrie. Dr. Malaisrie is part of their team that specializes in aorta surgery including the valve sparing operation. I am scheduled for mid-May. Thanks for writing back.
Kris

I had a "David-type" vale sparring procedure done in December of 2002 at Rush University Hospital. My repair has held up well thus far, and my cardiologist thinks that is should be a permanent fix. I was 49 when I had the surgery. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have, either here, or via E mail. You can E mail me at [email protected].

Thanks for the response Tom. I will also be having a David-type procedure. I will be able to get more detailed information at my next visit early May. One question I have is, have you had to alter your physical activity in any way? I enjoy kayaking and have to constantly be lifting it off and on the roof of my truck.

It is good news to hear that your repair has lasted and looks llike it will continue to do well. My surgeon says the success rate for the last 18-20 years is about 90%. Dr. Malasirie and Dr. McCarthy at Northwestern are currently involved with a study for percutaneous aortic valve replacement and is having good success. This will allow patients who just need an aortic valve replaced to just get a groin stick and the new valve just pushes the old one out of the way. The good news in all of this is cardiothoracic surgery is growing so rapidly with new techniques that patients like ourselves will have a lot more options in the future. Thanks again.

Kris

This sounds similar to the procedure 36-year-old major-league baseball player Aaron Boone just had:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...cRvLYF?slug=ap-astros-boone&prov=ap&type=lgns

Since a lot is usually written when celebrities are involved, maybe there will be some more follow-up information online. Or you might check the website of the Stanford medical facility where this surgery was done on Aaron.

All best wishes to you.

I am under no limitations on physical activity whatsoever. My first trip to the gym was 6 weeks to the day from my surgery, where I did some cardio and light weights. I still lift, but as one should in theri 50's I do not ever try to lift super heavy weights, just enought to get 10-12 good reps before I get tired. I also practice karate and judo, not as hard as I used to simply because I am getting older. Now your chest will still be healing a good 6 months after surgery, and your energy will be so-so at times even after 9 months, at least mine was. But now there are no limits.

Hi Kris,

Glad I checked some old posts! I just had this exact surgery by Dr. Malaisrie on March 16! I am also fairly young at 37. I can tell you that everything went perfectly. I also met with Dr McCarthy and he said that Dr. Malaisrie would be better for this surgery. I know that he did show up in the OR for at least part of my surgery and said it went great. I am three weeks out today and feel great. I was in CICU for 2 days though only needed it for 1. They didn't have any step down rooms. In the hospital for 5 days. The hospital was quite nice ... considering. All private rooms which is really nice. Please e-mail with any questions!

I know this is dated, but I had this surgery in Ottawa about 8 months ago. I feel good for day to day things, but still am horrible at running or other tough exercises. I am hoping it will get better with time. How has everyone else been doing with their recovering from this procedure?

HI all,
I'm new to the forum. After nearly 20 years my cardiologist tells me its time to have my aortic root repaired. I need a valve sparing aortic root replacement and am scheduled to talk to the surgeon next week. I'm wondering if anyone else whose had this surgery considered the different types and chose one over the other.

There are several types of surgeries now and the most basic are remodeling (yacoub) and reimplantation (david). There are several "David" types of surgeries now. It seems the reimplantation technique has less chance of requiring a 2nd surgery in later years.

Was this a consideration when choosing a surgeon and hospital? What were your primary concerns when choosing a surgeon?

It's good to see so many others back on their feet and in good health after surgery.

Thanks
Enlarged Aortic Root, diagnosed in '91, it's currently 4.5 cm

Latest posts

Back