valve selection 3

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

elphie

Hi- I'm new here, and I'd like to say I'm really glad I found this site. I need my aortic valve replaced and like everybody else I am struggling with the question of tissue or mechanical. I have read several posts and it seems most everybody says they don't have a problem with the coumadin or the ticking that comes with a mechanical valve. What I wonder is those of you who don't have a problem with the blood testing all the time- how were you about it before your surgery? What I mean is, I suppose you get used to it, but I'm afraid that if I get a mechanical valve what if I find out I can't handle it- then there's no going back. I've always had needle phobia, and have been known to pass out when I get blood drawn. I don't want to sound like a baby, and I know I've got a lot more ahead of me that is going to be worse, but I guess I'm just wondering if any of you felt like me before your surgery but you were able to adjust knowing you probably wouldn't need another surgery, or if people like me just opt for the tissue and another surgery instead of the frequent lifetime testing?

Hi elphie and welcome to the forum

You do get used to the blood testing. There are alternatives such as seeking out a Coumadin Clinic that uses fingerstick testing or purchasing your own home test unit. You can click on the ad at the top of this page for more information on it.

I hate needles. I went for a little over a year to a clinic that did veinous draws and I wasn't at all happy. The results were always all over the place and I never felt like things were being done properly. I got feed up and started going to another clinic that uses fingerstick testing. The results have been pretty darn stable and it sure beats the needle sticks.

For me valve choice was a no brainer. I've been through surgery twice and my body cannot go through another. Mechanical for me thank you. It's not a guarantee that you won't need another, but it's significantly lower then anything else out there.

Welcome to our world Elphie,

My recommendation is to find a Coumadin Clinic that uses one of the fingerstick testers, similar to those used for testing Blood Sugar for Diabetics.

If you cannot locate one in your area, consider purchasing a home test unit for yourself from QAS. There are at least 4 different brands of fingerstick instruments now.

IF you must still use a lab for regular testing, ask the technician to use the SMALLEST needle possible or a 'Butterfly' which has a very small needle. My 'secret' for needle sticks is to let the target area go limp and look away or close my eyes. You can tense up any OTHER part of your body, but make sure the target zone is relaxed. Work with the technicians and they will work with you. I've even had some who were so good I never felt a thing :)

After dozens (hundreds?) of blood tests I've come to not fear them. I know which veins are good and which 'roll' and inform the technician. If I've had a lot of draws from my arm / elbow area, I will ask them to use the large veins in my hands with a butterfly. I would much rather they have a big target and use a small needle than to have to probe around in my arm trying to jab a vein that is free to roll around. Sorry for being so graphic.
I have learned to 'go with the flow' on invasive procedures that I used to dread. Hopefully you too can develop a less stressful approach to any necessary tests.

'AL'

Welcome, Elphie - I take my brother to the local hospital lab once a month and they draw blood. He used to nearly cry but that's been a few years back. Now, he just sits patiently and watches the tech do it.

My daughter was traumatized by needles when she was 7. When she needed surgery as an adult, she called me to come stay and look after her during recuperation (she lives in another state), but would I please come early so I could go with her for the blood work. She was so scared, her veins/arteries would shrink and they had a terrible time getting bloodm thereby making the entire process 100 times worse for her (and the tech). She still doesn't like it, but after a few years of 'needles', she isn't terrified anymore - so with passage of time, like everything else, practice makes perfect. Your child would get used to it, albeit never totally comfortable with it. She'd just reset her mental processes. It would happen.

God bless

You get used to it

You get used to it

I was with you - I fainted from finger pricks (yes, right in the middle of the waiting room). I went through chemotherapy and all that testing and was still was needle-phobic.

I'm not any more. To be honest, it's a great relief to me to not be afraid at age 54. I haven't received approval for my home testing unit yet (their disapproval is being appealed); but I intend to get one because my veins are shot. But I can walk in and get my blood tested and get a shot or whatever with the best of them.

Please don't make any decisions based on this phobia; I might have if I'd had any idea that the repair to my valve wouldn't work. I never discussed valves with my surgeon because it supposedly wasn't an issue. When I woke up it was with a mechanical valve and this was a fait accompli.

You'll be OK.

Welcome to a fellow NW Ohioian

Welcome to a fellow NW Ohioian

Hello Elphie,
I glad you found this forum. MCO has a coumadin clinic which
I think has a finger stick testing device. For someone who has
reservation about blood draws, why would you ever consider a
tissue valve. I don't want to upset you, but a tissue valve doesn't mean you won't ever have to be on coumadin-there is
alway a chance of A-fib as many of the people here can tell you.
Unless you are a female, to whom having her own child is paramont in life, you have other choices that will limit the risk of more procedures. There are many people that swear by their tissue valve- that's fine, it is a personal choice. One thing they all
fail to mention is the mortality statistics for additional open
heart surgeries is much more than the risk of being on coumadin!
In my opinion, tissue valve surgery is just a Full Employment Act
for heart surgeons, because unless you are very old they are
guaranteed repeat business.
You can get additional support from the local Mended Hearts
Chapter in Fremont. If you want my phone number to talk about your concerns, just PM me. With 3 heart surgeries, on coumadin for 43 years,etc., I understand your worries.

There is also a coumadin clinic at the Toledo Clinic on Secor Road near Sylvania Avenue.

I had a mitral repair and am on coumadin because of A-Fib.

I'm glad to see some Ohio people here. I realize that I may not even have a choice which valve I have or if I'm on blood thinners or not, but I appreciate the insight. My problem is a little complicated because I was told I need the heart surgery right away before further damage is done to my heart, but I also just found out I have a cyst on each of my ovaries that should come out first because of the complications of being on blood thinners after heart surgery.(The complications being bleeding in surgery or internal bleeding if the cyst burst.)This is why I was considering a tissue valve-I know I would have to face another heart surgery in the future, but the blood thinners are scary. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I see the cardiologist tomorrow

elphie just so you know, most of the medical community makes Coumadin sound as if it's some evil monster looking to rear it's ugly head. Most of the medical community is living in the old world and not even paying attention to new studies or white papers on the drug or procedures that can safely be carried out while anticoagulated. I'm always amazed at the total lack of knowledge from the medical community concerning this drug. We see it time after time and day after day. Just so you know!

I kid you not, some of us have a much better working knowledge of Coumadin then the Doctors or Clinics that work with us. This is not a boast, this is a fact.

Latest posts

Back