Valve replacement??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuck

well, here's the scoop, I'm 46, have a BV, and my aorta is dilated to 4.8 cm. I have moderate regurge, and I get short of breath under activity.
I know it will depend on what my doc says, but I dont get to see him for at least a month. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the doc. recommending replacement within the year?

Hi bbuck

I am not a doctor and I do not know the details of your situation, but as soon as I experienced symptoms a month or so ago, I was urged to have surgery to replace. Be prepared, mentally, for sooner rather than later and worse case, it will be later ;)

Good luck & Happy New Year,

SB42

I'm no doctor but I 1up what SB42 posted. Sounds like it may be worse than moderate to feel symptoms. No big deal just start doing research now and make a valve choice. BTW I'm in a restroom stall at work 5 months post op and can hear my valve tick away LOL.

Hi bbuck. Welcome, you have found one of the very best sources of information for new...and old, heart valve patients. Since your follow up appointment is not for a month or so, surgery seems not to be immanent. You will find many on here with situations and stories similar to yours. The good new is that OHS is only a "blip" and then life goes on:thumbup:

bbuck,

I had a very similar condition and symptoms as you as you see in my signature. I's say it's likely he will recommend it within a year. The moderate regurgitation can wait but the aneurism and the SOB symptom calls for the AVR to be done sooner.

bbuck, why do I feel I have a stutter with your handle, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and there is swealth of knowledge here for the future .....
a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?27413-List-of-Acronyms-and-Glossary

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?26668-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?19034-Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

There will be many factors considered by your doc, and possibly a surgeon in deciding what to recommend to you. In my own particular case, it was principally the onset of symptoms coupled with a steadily worsening LV hypertrophy. I already had severe (or moderate to severe, depending on which echo lab you trust more) regurg, which was worsening slightly too. The Cardiologist referred me to the surgeon, and when he did so he suggested that the surgeon would want to operate sooner than later. Sure enough, surgeon said 'If it were me, I wouldn't wait six months'. His concern was that the LV hypertrophy wouldn't be reversible if we waited too long.
That said, I couldn't guess what your doc will say, but I'd bet that if you were in crisis you'd be seeing him a lot sooner. Don't sweat it for now, keep fit and busy. Next month will bring what it brings and when surgery time does come, it will bring opportunity with it. I'm considerably fitter now, 2.5 years post surgery than I was 10 years before (prior to my initial BAV diagnosis). You're in the right place here though, and welcome.
Happy New Year!

Thank you to everyone for the welcome.
I'm really not so nervous about the operation, I figure I'll be better off with it than without. My wife on the other hand is beside herself at times. The reason I'm a month out from seeing the surgeon/ cardiologist is because I am switching doctors, currently the VA has diagnosed me with the bicuspid aortic valve with moderate regurge, They are also doing the Heart catheritization(sp), and the doc I'm switching to wants to wait until that is done so that he can have whatever info they glean from it. We are most likely going to go with Northwest Memorial hosp. in Chicago. Dr. McGee. Anyone have any experience with this hospital/ Doctor?

A few members here go to Northwestern and most have nothing but good things to say about it. If you search here for either Northwestern or mcgee their post should come up.
ps welcome :)

bbuck

I was diagnosed at 46 yrs old with a BAV with regurt. Not sure of the dialation measurement. Started taking Pro-Cardia an Zocor. My cardio monitored me for 6 years, every 6 months, until he gave me the green light in November. I will receive my new valve with Dacron graft on 1/11/12. Listen to your doc. Get 2nd opinions if you wish. Just be confident in the Doc and valve you choose. And by the way, there will always be someone who means well, that knows little, who is telling you to do things different than what you decide. Not to worry. Do your homework and be confident, there are a lot of good Docs and good facilities.

Latest posts

Back