Valve replacement with one kidney

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST-WAITING

Does anyone have info on valve selection and the possible renal problems in the future. How would each type of valve or procedure be affected by the poss of dyalsis ?

Just Waiting:

Have you consulted doctors with Texas Heart Institute (St. Luke's Hospital, Houston)? I would definitely start there, since you are in Texas and because THI/St. Luke's has an excellent reputation.

My cousin's son was born with only 1 kidney, which is compromised by polycystic disease. He was also born with mitral valve prolapse, among other birth defects. I have thought of his predicament should he ever need MVR. He's 24, lives with his mother in the Houston area, thank heavens.
Josh is limited in Rxes he takes. For example, he has frequent fever blisters but can't take acyclovir, which is metabolized in the kidneys. He has to take antibiotics before dentals.

Whatever you find out, please share it with us. I would be very much interested.

JW, welcome to VR. I cannot answer your questions and, perhaps, few here can address them. The point that has come to mind, however, is this...It seems to me that with one kidney, you cannot take a chance on waiting for a long time because as the valve deteriorates, poor heart function could begin to effect your kidney. You probably want to think in terms of having surgery while you are healthiest. This is the advice I would give to anyone but for you, it would seem to me, surgery should be as soon as you and your surgeon feel it is wise. If your surgeon is not someone who will listen to your questions and give thoughtful responses, you might consider changing. It is going to be vitally important that you work with a surgeon with whom you can discuss your concerns and in whom you have trust. Let us know if you have other questions. We may not be able to answer them directly but we can at least discuss your issues.

Larry

Hello,
The title of this post caught my eye. I am 69. I only have one kidney. I donated one to my brother about 27 years ago. I have never been able to tell the difference. I had OHS almost 5 years ago.

Latest posts

Back