Valve Replacement VIA Cathater

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lieb2101

Anyone ever hear about this?
I've been playing the yo-yo game of trying to find out when I'm going to be due for surgery... at first it was within a year... now they're telling me 10+/- my doc mentioned to me that they are making progress doing aortic valve replacement using a cathater instead of open heart, maybe by the time I actaully do need surgery, this technology might be available.

-B

That's what all of VR Members in the waiting room or with tissue valves are hoping for!!

website

website

awesome info, thx, I e-mailed them about my bad Mitral Valve and am waiting for a response.

Do you know if this also applies to people who have already had valve replacement, or only to first timers? I've had three mitral valve replacements so far (all tissue).
Débora

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=8472

I found a more recent article about this being done right in my back yard...
I don't want anyone to get their hopes up too much... it's still a LONG way aways from mainstream medicine. However, it could be a light at the end of the tunnel for the lucky ones that have a few years to go still.

All I can do is hope because the doctors can't seem to make up their mind how long I can last in my case.

Does anyone have any more information on this procedure?

-B

It was done right here in our backyard also.
The procedure was done at William Beaumont hospital in Royal Oak,Mi which is a suburb of Detroit.
Apparently due to poor health the man could not have conventional surgery.
I believe he was back to work in three days!!
What no one seems to know is how long this may last.
They went in by catheter and smashed the old valve, and then inserted the new valve which had to be expanded when it was in position.
It was very interesting to watch on our local news.
This is a really great hospital, they have done more heart surgeries than anyone including the Cleveland Clinic
Being originally from Cleveland I could have easily gone to the CC.
But these guys up here are really good.
I beleive the only reason they don't rank closer to the top is due to nurse to patient ratio.

That is amazing!! That would be so much easier for our more senior members or people with poor health. I know my big fear at 35 is having to be reoperated on. I hope I never have to, but with the way technology is moving who knows.

That reminds me. Not to be off subject but my Dad and I were talking the other night and we were talking abot cancer and it's treatment. It's really barbaric if you think of it. But just think, someday, we will be able to cure cancer overnight with a little pill and will look back at the cures that we have now, like we do at leaching blood, and etc that they used to do many years ago.

The moral is, support our children to learn and study their math and sciences so that they can help our future generations.

- John

Hello Brian,

You have received excellent comments from both Nancy and Rich.

Your posts seem to indicate that you have thus far been evaluated by a General Practitioner rather than a Cardiologist. If this is true I believe it is essential to see a Cardiologist as soon as possible. In some cases a valve can be repaired rather than replaced. A Cardiologist is better suited to make this kind of evaluation.

In my case my doctor knows a little about valve replacement. Before my case came along he knew even less.

You have an excellent facility at Beaumont and wealth of very able Cardiologists in the SE Michigan area. Take advantage of expert advice early in the diagnostic process. It should be beneficial to you in the long run.

Good Luck

Corevalve in Irvine CA.

Corevalve in Irvine CA.

lieb2101 said:
I've been playing the yo-yo game of trying to find out when I'm going to be due for surgery... at first it was within a year... now they're telling me 10+/- my doc mentioned to me that they are making progress doing aortic valve replacement using a cathater instead of open heart, maybe by the time I actaully do need surgery, this technology might be available.

-B
There is currently an FDA clinical trial for this procedure. The first one done in the states was at William Beaumont Hospital near Detroit, MI, by a Dr. William O'Neill. I believe that this represents the furture of valve replacement but I emphasize future. Could be a couple of years... Corevalve in CA. has a nice model that they are working in BUT it has not received approval for testing in the USA yet.

Hope that helps...

Tom

groin

groin

lieb2101 said:

-B

Dr. Raissi mentioned it last night. According to him, it is new and should be perfected by the time my 15 year Bovine will need replacing. Don't know how soon it will be available, but is must be in the works for him to have mentioned it. Try the Cedar-Sinai website.

Is Repair or Replacement in my future.

Is Repair or Replacement in my future.

Big-Chuck said:
awesome info, thx, I e-mailed them about my bad Mitral Valve and am waiting for a response.
Big Chuck: I am very new to this web site so I hope you are receiving my message. I am the mom of a son with a complicated mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation and more complications. I am interested in knowing yur exact diagnosis because you said that you didn't expect a repair before you had the surgery. My son also would think it a miracle if his valve was repaired. Also, please tell me about your surgeon since we have not decided on a surgeon as yet. We have been told that Dr. Gaudiani in Redwood City is
a star when it comes to valves so finding "the best" surgeon for my son is
paramount. Susan Freeman innercalm

I had my PVR done last September, using a bovine tissue valve. My surgeon, Dr. Albert Starr predicted that when the time comes for my valve to be replaced, the procedure discussed in this thread will be commonplace. I'm hoping this will be the case.

Just wondering???????????

Just wondering???????????

:confused: Will that sort of thing be possible with mitral valves too? I mean, I've had 3 replacements so far and all with tissue, but I suppose that since mine will need to be replaced within a couple o years, I'll still have to get it done the old-fashioned way!????
Débora from Brazil

surgical advancements

surgical advancements

lieb2101 said:

-B
this is my story also--visited cardiologistist 1/17/06 and expected surgery w/in 1 year, now think will be ok 10 years +- 5 years--being monitored w/echo & stress test every 6 months, as well as bp meds/diet to lower chlosteral/trigly/excerise and to lost about 20 more lbs to get weight to w/in acceptable range....original physican and hospital after echo was very insistent that aortic valve replacement was needed soon. This news from the cardiologist was a welcome reprieve. I am hopeful, like you, that these advancements in surgical procedure continue. let's keep our fingers crossed and pray for these advancements/and pray for those who don't have the option like we do.....

It is really amazing.
As I stated in another post last week I met the first man to have this done.
He is in his late seventies and doing just fine.
We spent a couple of hours together and he is just as normal as any of us.
What really is amazing is the fact things did not go real smooth during the procedure, but they got it done and he is OK.
He owns a car dealership near here and went back to work three days after the valve was replaced.

Latest posts

Back