Valve Replacement in India

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharad

Hi All.

I have had rheumatism in my childhood, which has caused me "Aortic Regurgitation" and "Mitral Stenosis" I am 28 yrs now. Aortic regurgitation is now in severe moderate stage as per my 2D echo test. I will have to undergo the valve replacement surgery within next 1 year. I am in search of best surgeons which can be available in Nashik or Pune where it is possible to me to carry out the surgery. I will have to replace Aortic Valve and Mitral valave will also be replaced if not possible to repair.

Also I want to select the best mechanical Valve. I also have a lot of questions regarding the durability of the mechanical valves. Also What are the precautions after having the mechanical valves. How can it affect my Marriage and marital life? How long will it take to recover me fully? How much will it cost?

If you have any information regarding the Valve replacement surgery Please give your suggestions on this thread. Also you can write PM to me.

Another thing is I am very afraid of the surgery. Please share your experiences about the surgery.

Others will be along soon to give you their experiences. The time difference comes into play here.

I will answer some of your questions from the spouses point of view.

Joe had rheumatic fever as a teenager. When he was in his 40s, he developed symptoms such as you are having, and had his first of three valve surgeries. That one was an aortic valve replacement with one of the early models of mechanical made by Bjork-Shiley. Then several years later, he had to have his mitral replaced, and that one was a St. Jude mechanical. A couple of years after that, he had a small leak that developed around the sewing cuff of the mitral (paravalvular leak). Sometimes people's skin is slightly weak and causes this, but it rarely happens. So he had a third surgery to close the leak.

Throughout the years, he also had other medical problems develop, and had two major lung surgeries, plus a lot of other things.

His mechanical valves worked extremely well, and their functioning stayed steady and true.

Joe lived a normal life span given the amount of medical problems he had, and he passed away from multiple organ failure, his mechanical valves still functioning until the last second of his life.

So, yes, the mechanicals are very, very durable.

And I can say that he never suffered any ill effects on his marriage or love life.

Having this surgery will help you regain your health and it will give you back your quality of life.

As for recovery. You will be quite sore for the first couple of weeks, but that is true with any major surgery. You will also be very weak during that period of time, and you will have lifting restrictions and driving restrictions until the surgeon says it is OK for you to do these things. You will need the help of your wife or family for a while.

Then you will gradually start to get stronger, and at 6-8 weeks, you will be feeling pretty well. The final recovery will take up to a year, but during this time you will be gaining strength each day. Most people can go back to work in 6-8 weeks, some even sooner.

I am very glad that you decided to join the group here. Everyone will help you through this scary time in your life.

I would like to suggest that you read an online book (free) written by a former member here about his experiences. It is informative and light-hearted. I think you will enjoy it.

http://www.stevegoldberger.com/bt/BumtickerHomePage1a.html

Latest posts

Back