Valve replacement for a 78 year old

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarj

I am 78 year old. I had my kidney transplant in 1982 and the second on in 2007. The kidney function is perfect. Since 1982 I have climbed Mt. Kilmanjaro twice, hiked coast to coast in UK, hike all major trails in ontario, hiked 8 days to Machu Pichu through the mountains, hiked in New Zealanld, Australia, Nepal, Spain, Greece...... In short I have enjoyed good health so far. Now my Aortic valve is needs replacement. I do not want to go for any metalic valve as blood thinners cause bleeding. Like to hear from other patients in similar situation

I got my mechanical heart valve at age 41 and take Warfarin. This seemed the best option for me. For you, I think a tissue valve is definitely the right way to go. They generally last longer in older patients (20+ years) and there is a good chance they won't require anti-coagulation. Sounds like you are quite active! Keep up the good work.

sarj, Blood thinners do not cause bleeding, they only make any bleeding last longer. That being said, I would agree with chaconne in that you probably would be better off with a tissue valve, both for the reason he cites and considering the fact that complications related to warfarin go up increased with age.

Hi Sarj and welcome. I am also 78 and got my first and only mechanical valve when I was 31. If, and it is not likely, that I will need to have my valve replaced I probably would also consider a tissue valve as it might be easier to deal with as an "old man"....but maybe not. I have a lot of friends on warfarin or other anti-coagulants for a number of reasons not related to a mechanical valve. Incidentally, my experience with bleeding while on warfarin, is pretty much the same as if I had not been on warfarin. However, it does seem to cause more problems in the elderly....but doctors tell me that problems due to mismanagement are the biggest problem in seniors . Good luck and it seems you have pretty much cleared out your "bucket list".

Hi, Sarj!

Why do I get the feeling that we've met before? Here? Elsewhere? Anyway, welcome to The Waiting Room - the virtual room where many folks await their own turns at valve surgery.

You're a bit older than I (I was 63 at time of implant), but I'm sure the docs will either give you your choice, or just suggest a tissue valve. I had the Edwards Bovine Pericardial valve implanted, and as far as the valve goes, it feels like it never happened. (I have other new limitations due to pacemaker, etc.) Just remember that they go in there with a "Plan A" but have a "Plan B" in case plan A cannot be done. In other words, they may go in with the intent to implant a tissue valve but if they find a reason that the tissue valve is not appropriate, they reserve the right to put in a mechanical instead. Our "choice" is really a "preference."

Either way, with your history and conditioning, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Welcome! I am aware of many folks your age or older having valve replacement. At your age, the consensus in the medical world is that a tissue valve is most appropriate, for technical reasons that can be found with a Google search. Wishing you all the best, with many more hiking adventures in your future. Do keep us posted….

My MIL had hers put in about 80+. It went as easy as mine at age 55. Don't worry, be happy you'll live. :) You won't need a mechanical, so don't worry about warfarin.

Hi sarj
I had my tissue valve put in in August 2011. I was 71 then. I never had a 'choice'. My surgeon said " Nice piggy one
for you lad"! I have never looked back. I have just entered 4 distance events at the coming Australian Masters Games, and run competitively for my club every weekend.
You obviously love the outdoors like me. Good luck on your operation. When are you going to have it?
See Ya
Brian

Hi sarj
I had my tissue valve put in in August 2011. I was 71 then. I never had a 'choice'. My surgeon said " Nice piggy one
for you lad"! I have never looked back. I have just entered 4 distance events at the coming Australian Masters Games, and run competitively for my club every weekend.
You obviously love the outdoors like me. Good luck on your operation. When are you going to have it?
See Ya
Brian

sarj, Blood thinners do not cause bleeding, they only make any bleeding last longer. That being said, I would agree with chaconne in that you probably would be better off with a tissue valve, both for the reason he cites and considering the fact that complications related to warfarin go up increased with age.

Sarj, I respectfully disagree with the statement that blood thinners do not cause bleeding. In my case, on Coumadin/warfarin, I had spontaneous internal bleeding, and suffered a hemorrhagic stroke - was lucky to catch it in time.

I am on blood thinner, Warrafrin and do just fine. You just have to watch for nose bleeds in dry weather, and try not to cut your finger. Otherwise you can do just fine on blood thinners. I have a St. Judes aortic valve for the past 13 years and doing just fine. You can still be quite active on it, just be careful of any cuts you get. You an lead a fairly great active life, no matter what you chose, when you have a choice, some in here did not have one and still are here today. Hugs for today. :)

Back