valve replacement 84 yr male

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

randyt

my father has been told he needs valve replacement after a small stroke on monday. any statistics on success rates of older patients? any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I don't recall any 84 year olds, but we have quite a few that are in the upper ages. Maybe some will come on in and give you their thoughts on this. I know it has to be a hard decision at that age. I expect it might be his current health and stamina that must be considered in this. Lots who go into surgery and are in good health seem to recuperate faster. What do his doctors say about his age and the surgery? Do they feel it's safe? Is it a matter that if he doesn't get it, it's all over? If it is, I know somebody has to do some serious thinking and he must have the final sayso.

My oldest brother had a second valve replacement somewhere in that age group. I'm not sure exactly how old he was but he is now 87 and still kicking around. He had the first about 7 years earlier. The second time he also had bypass. I can't give you too many details since we live on opposite ends of the US (PA & AZ). I do know that he when to a nursing facility until he was well on the road to recovery. I think the reason was his wife is small and has some medical problems and really couldn't do what was necessary.
I hope that your dad comes thru with flying colors. It's scary, no matter what the age is.

I don't know the statistics, but I can tell you that I had an aunt who had aortic valve surgery in her late 80's and died at 95 of something else. Also, the mother of one of my friends had aortic valve surgery in her late 70's and must be about 90 now. My father had quintuple bypass surgery after having had a massive heart attack at age 83. He lived until 90. Granted, because of the heart attack, he had congestive heart failure and was very weak, but he lived for 7 years anyway. A friend of my father's also had bypass surgery in his mid to late 80's and is 92 now. I know of NO bad results even at that age.

It would be helpful to know a little more about your father and his condition.

How is his health otherwise?
Does he have other risk factors?

Is he in good condition?
Does he exercise (walk, etc.)?

Is he a 'fighter'?
Will he be willing to do what it takes for a good recovery?
(Breathing exercises, daily walking, little by little, to build his strength and stamina).

IF he has surgery and does his exercises, there is a good chance he will have a decent life for his age.

IF he has surgery and just vegetates afterwards,
the outcome will likely not be very good.

'AL Capshaw'

I had several roomates in their mid 80s when I was in for my surgerey. They not only survived thier operations, they provided me with the inspiration to get out of bed and get it going.

I still remember the conversation I had with my 87 year old roommate, Frank, the night before both of our surgeries. It was after midnight and we both had early morning surgeries scheduled. I was scared out of my mind , but Frank was just hanging out. He was essentially telling me I hope you make it because you have a lot more things to do, but he was competely satisfied with the life he had lived. We both made it through and I still draw on the fact that he accepted the fate that may be handed to him. I will always remember Frank.......don't know if he is still with us today, but he taught me many valuable lessons in life that night.

The success rates are much better for older patients these days so you may want to offer him the alternatives and let him use his years or wisdom to guide you as Frank guided me.

Dan

Elderly Patients Benefit From Mitral Valve Surgery

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jul 17 - Surgery to correct mitral valve regurgitation is as effective in restoring life expectancy among elderly patients as it is in their younger counterparts, according to results of an outcomes study.

Dr. Maurice Enriquez-Sarano and his associates therefore recommend that mitral regurgitation surgery should be considered for elderly patients before refractory heart failure has developed.

"We want to dispel the message of gloom and doom that is given to older people," Dr. Enriquez-Sarano said in a press release.

Surgical techniques to repair or replace the mitral valve have improved significantly in recent years, but no studies have examined the effect of those improvements on elderly patients for whom such surgery had been considered too risky in the past, Dr. Enriquez-Sarano's team notes.

They therefore examined outcomes among the 1344 patients treated for isolated mitral regurgitation at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, between 1980 and 1995.

According to the team's paper in the July 25th issue of Circulation released online July17, 556 (41%) patients were < 65 years old, 504 (38%) were between 65 and 74 years old, and 284 (21%) were 75 years of age and older.

Dr. Enriquez-Sarano and his colleagues report that 5-year survival was 57% for the oldest group, 73% for the middle group, and 85% for the youngest group -- "but ratios of observed to expected survival were similar (83%, 85% and 88%, respectively)."

The researchers note that, taking account of expected survival, "elderly patients showed no difference in life expectancy restoration compared with younger patients (adjusted hazard ratio, 0.89, p = 0.54)."

They also point out that all outcomes improved over time as surgeons gained experience with the procedures.

Overall, operative mortality decreased for all age groups, from 16% overall during the period 1980-1983, to 3% between 1992 and 1995. Corresponding trends were observed for low cardiac output following surgery, hospital length of stay, and increased feasibility of valve repair over valve replacement.

The investigators say that the current practice is to delay mitral regurgitation surgery among elderly patients until they have developed severe symptoms and atrial fibrillation. But based on their experiences, Dr. Enriquez-Sarano and his team recommend that "surgery should not be denied on the basis of age alone and, in carefully selected elderly patients, should be offered before the occurrence of refractory heart failure:"

Latest posts

Back