Valve replaced and home in 3 days?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I found out today that the last patient my surgeon (Dr. Michael King) implanted the Synergraft aortic valve in was home in just three days post op! When I had my angiogram, the nurse who did my health history said she thought I'd be home in just three days also. Anyone have experience or knowledge of releases this fast? Sounds amazing to me, and I hope that is the way it turns out! I do know that North Memorial in Minneapolis has a special program for valve recipients, in that you stay in the ICU the whole time, with nearly 1-to-1 staff/patient ratios.

--John

John,

I was out in 4. Surgery friday afternoon, home Tuesday afternoon.

Chris

Sounds very fast to me, to say the least. It takes at least that time and longer to get all the bodily functions working again after surgery, and to get the patient to a minimal degree of mobility so they can function at home, going upstairs, walking around, etc. Joe always had oxygen after surgery for at least a couple of days. I thought 5 days was too soon to come home for my husband. It was doable, but he was very weak and still working the anesthesia out of his system, plus he was still on heavy duty pain meds at that point and not exactly totally coherent.

I'm sure they know what they're doing. And you always have an ace in the hole. Usually prior to release, they will ask you if you think you are being released too soon, and if you do, you can speak up at that point.

Do you think insurance is forcing this early release?

hi john!
i imagine release depends on the patient and his/her progress. joey's surgeon thought he'd be released 4 days after his rp (considering his age, fitness level, etc). joey got his hopes up really high and was thoroughly disappointed when he went into afib. that complicated things and he wasn't even allowed out of bed to walk!!!
as a result, he stayed a whole week and was very upset about it.

my suggestion is not to go in with any preconceived ideas (you can hope for those 3 days, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out that way).
i don't mean to sound negative, it's just that everyone heals differently. as you read through all the threads you will see that many of us are confronted with "fixable" obstacles....
i wish you an uneventful and quick recovery once this is done.

i was sorry to hear about your postponed surgery. do you know the new date yet? i can understand that you may be upset about this, we went through a similar delay. joey was scheduled to have his surgery the day after the wtc nightmare. it was postponed a week and we were initially upset (we had mentally prepared for this day), but regarded it as "found" time to be together and with our families.
also, when i inquired about a cryolife synergraft for joey's pulmonary valve replacement (instead of the usual homograft), i was told that i could order one and wait for it, but there was only one available that week and it had already been reserved! so, i can totally understand what's going on with these new valves.

i like to think that there is a positive that comes out of every negative event.
please let us know when your date is going to be

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Nancy and Sylvia. Being that I was 30 years of age at the time of my MVR, there was no way I was prepared to go home at day three. Day five, yes.

Take your time.
Wishing you all the best.
Take care

Time lapse: CCF AVR 4/11/00 7:00a.m.

Time lapse: CCF AVR 4/11/00 7:00a.m.

Discharged 4/14/00 1:00 p.m.

Took 3 hours to get out of the hospital after Dr. signed release.

3-4 days for this particular surgery, (mini-sternotomy, only AVR, no other surgical complication) seems normal.

I was out in 4 days, Monday surgery, 7:00 am, home Friday 1:30. I had the impression that I could have went home on Thursday, (day3), but was scheduled for a shower later in the day. I guess there is some concern about showering and passing out, which I heard has happened.

John- I was home in 4 days. Surgery Thursday morning home by Noon on Monday.

I think it all depends on who you are and how you react to the surgery. Everyone is different. Try not to go in thinking that you will be in and out; Murphy's Law you know.

Good luck
Mara

I checked in the hospital from the ER at another hospital on Mon, had the AVR on Tues about 8pm, and went home on Sat. before noon.
They won't send you home unless you are ready to go, in the doctors opinion.
It's okay, and you do better at home,even though it's a bit scary, cause you may feel so weak. You recover quickly, day by day, getting stronger.
Gail

GOING HOME

GOING HOME

I had my surgery at 7 p.m....there had been a problem with an earlier surgery. That put me a day behind on progress since my day 1 was almost over before I got started. I was ready to go home on day 4, but had to have the neurology team check me out (had a tiny stroke with no lasting effects) and that didn't happen until late also. Went back to hotel day 5 since I wasn't released until 2 pm and there was a snowstorm blowing in. Didn't want to get caught on the turnpike in a blizzard on our 4 hour drive home. Went home next morning with no problems. Good luck.

Hi John,

I was also out in 3 days and doing fantastic. My body responded very well to the new SnyerGraft valve and I'm 51. Did great thereafter for 8-9 months, then had some bumps on the road!

Don't worry about how quick you get out of the hospital, but how long the fix lasts. My case is a good argument for that!

By the way, my fainting has cleared up, so that's strong evidence that it was caused by the meds and not the leak. Still moderately leaking but my heart function is good, so will have echo every two months to monitor. My surgeon now thinks my SynerGraft valve might last a while longer than he thought, but still not the rest of my life as we had hoped.

Saw that Jesse Helms is getting his mechanical replaced after 10 years, so there's truly no guarantee with anything. Just the luck of the draw, I guess!

Good luck and God bless,

Steve

3 and out sounds good to me!

3 and out sounds good to me!

Hopefully they found you the right size valve and you had your surgery today. Good luck, we are all pulling for you.

Brooks

Helms

Helms

Was interested in his story not much here leading to the circumstances. Seems he had been under the knife a few times for other illnesses. Infection may have played a role? In any case, we will pray for his safe return!

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) -- Sen. Jesse Helms will receive open-heart surgery at a Maryland hospital as early as this week to replace an artificial valve installed 10 years ago, his aides said.

The 80-year-old Republican will continue undergoing tests Wednesday at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, where he was admitted Monday after feeling tired and weak over the weekend.

"He checked in several times throughout the day," Helms chief of staff Jimmy Broughton said Tuesday. "He sounds just fine. He's not groggy or anything."

The worn-out valve is on the left side of his heart between the lower and upper chambers and pumps oxygenated blood into the rest of his body.

Helms could remain in the hospital a week or longer after the surgery and could be weeks more recuperating.

Helms, who plans to retire in January 2003 after 30 years in the Senate, has missed Senate business on two other occasions in the past two years due to health problems.

He was hospitalized in October 2000 after coming down with a serious case of pneumonia. And what aides described as "a bad head cold" kept Helms in Raleigh last December during the waning days of the Senate session. He wound up having fluid drained from his lungs.

Helms has been treated for a variety of other ailments during the latter part of his Senate career, including prostatic disease. He also had knee-replacement surgery in 1998 and in 2000 was diagnosed with "peripheral neuropathy," a condition that numbs his feet and impairs his balance.

Helms announced last August that his fifth term would be his last, citing a desire to spend more time with his family during his twilight years.

Helms is often known for his strong opposition of communist regimes and his criticism of foreign aid. He used the chairmanship of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which he held from 1995 to 2001, to promote his views.

Jesse Helms was fitted with a pig's valve in 1992. See story below.

Jesse Helms was fitted with a pig's valve in 1992. See story below.

Veteran Sen. Helms Set to Have Heart Surgery
Wed Apr 24, 8:39 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Veteran North Carolina Sen. Jesse Helms is expected to have heart surgery this week to replace an artificial valve installed nearly a decade ago, his spokesman said on Wednesday.

Photos

Reuters Photo

Helms, a conservative Republican, was admitted on Monday to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, after complaining of feeling very tired, said his Chief of Staff Jimmy Broughton.

"He is having one more test today which will yield more information before he has his mitral valve replaced," said Broughton.

The pig's valve fitted on the left side of his heart has a life expectancy of 10 years and was installed in June 1992.

Broughton said he spoke to the 80-year-old senator late on Tuesday and he was feeling "very chipper and alert."

"He was asking about the Senate and telling me a few things about the Senate that he had heard from calling around," he said.

Helms, who is well known for his work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and his vehement opposition to Cuban President Fidel Castro (news - web sites), said last year that his fifth term would be his last and he would retire in January 2003.

In recent years, he has suffered several health problems, including a serious bout of pneumonia in October 2000 and knee replacement surgery.

More from > Top Stories - Reuters
Prev. Story: Powell Says No Evidence Yet of Massacre at Jenin
Wed Apr 24, 1:19 PM ET - (Reuters)
Next Story: U.S. Cardinals Propose Expelling Pedophile Priests
Wed Apr 24, 4:17 PM ET - (Reuters)

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Ohhhh, ok then. Thanks Christina. I know there is 'no guarantees' like Steve pointed out.

Being it was obviously a tissue valve gone bad, must have been a 'media misprint'. Just like they report so and so had open heart when it was bypass, etc.

Thanks again for the clairification!

Latest posts

Back