Updating, the (extra) beat goes on

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela

A few of you may recall that I've got some arrhythmia. It was so worrisome to me that I landed in the Emergency Unit of our local hospital and the next day in a regular office visit my PCP had me hooked up for a cardiac event monitor.

I had some problems with the electrodes but the readings came back showing PVCs, but not at a level to be concerned about (according to the cardiologist, anyway :rolleyes:). However, he noticed my bluish nail beds and that I was short of breath, listened to my heart and took my bp - 130 over 85 - which is pretty close to normal for me.

He's got me booked for an echo and pending those results, we may carry on to a stress test. I am phoning the echo lab tomorrow to inquire if they're doing a complete ascending aortic study or if this is just for my valves. If they're not booking for the aorta I'll contact my cardio and have that changed. Why go back in August for the aortic study when they could kill two birds with one stone in 10 days time?

Pamela, I hope things go well for you. I don't like stress tests and have refused them the past few years.

Ohhh my goodness PVC's can be so scary. Totally benign, right? I'd like to see these docs say that when a big string of PVC's hit them. :mad:

Best wishes for you. I hope there's absolutely nothing wrong. :)

PVC's can be 'unsettling' to the patient but generally bring a Yawn to the Cardiologist.

A Low Dose (25mg) of Toprol XL (extended release Beta Blocker) kept mine at bay for a few years, then I was switched to Sotalol when A-Fib events started popping up.

I agree Al, the cardiologists I've been cared for by don't usually worry about the extra beats that sneak in occassionally. I think what worries me most is that, in my case, they come along as a precursor to stenosis and hypertrophy. I'm glad he didn't hear a murmur during his examination but it still leaves the question of why I have dyspepsia and frequent edema.

Hopefully, the results will point to a condition that can be managed with a tiny dose of atenolol and not much more. It would be nice to be able to go on a walk with the dogs and actually get some exercise.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Latest posts

Back