Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecrowley

Good morning everyone,

Today is 2 weeks post-op for me, and I am feeling great. I went for my first walk outside this morning...it was finally cool enough. I walked for 30 minutes, and it was wonderful. I can't believe how well my recovery is going. On the flip side, I went to a large family party 2 days ago. Boy did that wipe me out. It just showed me I have a very long way to go in my recovery. It was a good "eye-openner", and let me know I need to wait a while before thinking about going back to work. However, I never would have guessed I'd feel this good at 2 weeks.

My only problem is continued pain on the edges of my sternum where my ribs connect. It's enough to keep me from dropping my pain meds completely, but I have cut back significantly. I had a chest X-ray a few days ago to rule out a pleural effusion, which it is not. The doctor said my "imflamation" numbers were pretty high, which is understandable considering what happened 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it is normal pain with the opening of the chest, and it'll eventually go away. I had my first "surprise" sneeze this morning, too. OUCH!!!!! I hope not to have many more of those. :) I also have the "pounding" heart Ozmercy is talking about. It does take some getting used to.

I'm so glad to see that others who have had more trouble than me are getting better. Prayers and good wishes go out to all.

Lee

You sound great! Congratulations.

I'm glad that you are checking in with doctors about any unusual or questionable feelings. Never hesitate. You just want to be sure and not let anything get going in the wrong direction for too long.

I had a 4 hour BVR with no drama, rockin'-rollin' heart about a month out turned out to be harmless (I honestly am beginning to believe that our hearts are literally dancing for joy when they finally wake up to the fact that they are fixed!!).

I just cruised by 4 months and am feeling wonderful. Still love (and I do mean love...I relish them) a nap once or twice a week. Some days just wipe me out for no apparent reason!

I still have a lot of discomfort around the sternum and scar area even at 4 months. I'm told all is perfect, so I'm just ignoring it. One physical therapist (do sign up for cardiac rehab if you are covered) told me I probably wasn't standing up straight in the early weeks and that might have caused prolonged discomfort. So while I'm not suggesting that you snap you shoulder's back in attention, do pay attention to how you are, posture-wise, and try to keep from hunching over in a protective way. It feels stretchy and crunchy at first, so don't push it, but a little good posture may go a long way down the road! ;)

Keep up that outdoor walking! It is wonderful now that it's cooling down in most places. Take care. You're doing GREAT!!

Marguerite

Hi Lee!

Two weeks and you're out walking around for a half hour!!! That is so great!
Glad your chest pains turned out to be normal healing. I imagine standing up straight is going to be hard to remember for me, since I can already picture the need to scrunch down and protect the whole chest area. I'm sure that really does a number on the back muscles as well. Will add good posture to my list, as well as remembering the pounding heart thing is normal.

Keep posting on your continued progress - no detail is too small:)

Just watch out for the rapid fire sneezes. You know, the ones that come out of no where and cause you to sneeze 3 or 4 times before you know what hit you! :eek:

Posture

Posture

Good job on your recovery. I am a couple of weeks ahead of you and have noticed similar things. When I was walking last night, I noticed that I was kind of hunching over to protect my chest...so I straightened up and stayed that way for the rest of my walk. It felt good....there was some clicking and stuff.....but I felt like my lungs were working better. I also have the pounding heart. I am able to lie on my side to sleep now, but I hear my valve pounding in the ear that is against the pillow. I guess that will take some getting used to......and oooooooh those sneezes...they just sneak up on you and BAM! They still hurt me, but I'm sure that is what will happen for a while.

As far as work goes.......I'm know that I'm not ready yet. Give yourself some time.....I'm starting cardiac rehab for six weeks on Sept 5th....so I will think about going back after my rehab is done.

Good to hear that your recovery is going so well....keep up the good work.

Hugs:p

Latest posts

Back