update, re suspected SVT

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinityheart8891

Hey guys,

I talked to my GP at a visit on tuesday, and she suggested that I go and ask my pediatric cardio about seeing an EP doc. She wasnt happy that I hadnt gotten a call back regarding my 30 day monitor results, especially since they werent normal, and even more so that I am still having episodes, the latest of which happened last saturday. My peds cardio thought it was a good idea, I called and made an appt, the appt is for august 14th.

I am not sure what to expect, but I already have done a 30 day monitor, and a holter monitor, I suspect the next step is an EP study. at this point, I dont care that much, I just want answers, and or results, as in, to get this thing to stop, anyone have any ideas? anything specific I should ask, and or be looking for?

thanks ahead of time

I can't offer much help since I have lots of arrhythmias myself, but I have started a magnesium supplement and make sure I eat enough foods with Potassium. I do eat a low salt/sodium diet and rest enough. Good Luck.

Can't offer much help here, either, Morgan.

Just know that thoughts/prayers are coming your way....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Sometimes it seems like this world's closing in on me" ... Bad English ... 'When I See You Smile'

When I had my arrhythmia(SVT-a.flutter) I was given meds that helped,
but didn't do the job. I know people are helped by certain anti-arrhythmics,
though I am not one of them . I had an ablation, which was successful and the procedure was not too bad(similar to an angio).
I guess once the cause of your SVT is found , then you can start making some decions.Please keep us informed--Dina:)

aw gee whiz Morgan, I wish I could help.
Please try to feel my warm Canadian bear (((hugs))))
My thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

thanks for the replys guys

even though heart issues are old hat to me, this is obviously new, and I just want a resolution, darn it!

appreciate you taking the time to reply

Morgan

Hi Morgan -

I don't know if this will be anything new to you but I'm going to type out something from "Arrhythmias - A Patient's Guide," a booklet that my cardio sent to me a couple of weeks ago.

The booklet is pretty informative and written by Emmanuel Horovitz, M.D., circa 2002, but I couldn't find it on the web anywhere. Anyway, here is some info in regard to SVT which I hope you may find helpful and/or informative:

"...Common Arrhythmias - Arrhythmias can be divided into two basic categories: supraventricular and ventricular. Supraventricular arrhythmias start "above the ventricles," that is, in the atria or AV node. Ventricular arrhythmias start in the ventricles (the heart's lower chambers).

Arrhythmias are further defined by the speed of the heartbeat. As we've seen, fast heart rhythms are called tachycardias, slow ones are called bradycardias.

Supraventricular Arrhythmias - Here is a brief description of the most common types of supraventricular arrhythmias.

1) Premature Atrial Contractions...

2) Supraventricular Tachycardia - Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a series of very rapid heartbeats that start in the atria or AV node.

An episode, or "attack," of SVT is often paroxysmal, meaning that it starts suddenly and stops suddenly. An episode can last from less than a minute to as long as several hours. It can occur frequently, sometimes several times a day, or infrequently.

AV nodule re-entrant tachycardia is by far the most common type of paroxysmal SVT. In this condition, a re-entry circuit that exists in or next to the AV node causes attacks of tachycardia.

An attack of SVT may cause palpitation (a sensation of a "racing heart"), dizziness, shortness of breath, or chest pain. While such attacks may be distressing, they are seldom life-threatening.

SVT may be associated with various types of heart disease, but it is commonly seen in people who are otherwise healthy. Factors that can bring on attacks of SVT include caffeine, alcohol, and stress.

Episodes of SVT often can be stopped, or "broken," by stimulating the vagus nerve (one of the nerves that help regulate the heart rate). Common ways to do this include having a person bear down (as though straining at a bowel movement) or splashing cold water on his or her face.

If this doesn't work, doctors can stop an attack of SVT in several ways. They may rub the person's neck just below the angle of the jaw (which stimulates a sensitive area on the carotid artery called the carotid sinus). If this fails, doctors may inject a dose of drugs (such as adenosine) into a vein.

If the attacks are frequent or if the symptoms are very annoying, doctors may prescribe antiarrhythmic drugs to help prevent attacks.

If drugs do not work or produce serious side effects, doctors may recommend catheter ablation to destory the extra pathway.

3) Accessory Pathway Tachycardia...

4) Atrial Fibrillation...

5) Atrial Flutter..."

Reactions: Amy
Susan, that sounds like a very informative little booklet. Could you post the title, authors and publisher? I'm wondering if it can be ordered somewhere online?

Susan, that sounds like a very informative little booklet. Could you post the title, authors and publisher? I'm wondering if it can be ordered somewhere online?
"Arrhythmias - A Patient's Guide" - Written by Emmanuel Horovitz, M.D. - 2002

I tried to find it online but couldn't. Not that it's not there somewhere--I don't know--but I couldn't find it.

I was in Emerg last week and the doc told me I had SVT. I have had a few episodes of high, pounding heart rate since surgery, but they usually went away pretty fast. This one was for over 2 hours, at about 143bpm. I had cold feet and hands from the poor circulation.
The ER doc did the vagus stimulations, but ended up with the meds in the IV. Strange enough he said my HR went back on it's own just before the meds kicked in. I am not sure. My cardio got a copy of all this and the ecg printouts, but booked me in 2 months down the road. It can't be that serious I guess. He suggested I try the vagus moves if it happens again, or take a beta-blocker he prescribed prior to surgery (Metoprolol). The ER doc said that it could be the re-entry type SVT since my heart is still healing and forming scar tissue. I am almost 7 months post op my valave sparing aortic root replacement, repair of ascending aorta aneurysm and now have a pacemaker.
I just wish I would feel normal again!

I was in Emerg last week and the doc told me I had SVT. I have had a few episodes of high, pounding heart rate since surgery, but they usually went away pretty fast. This one was for over 2 hours, at about 143bpm. I had cold feet and hands from the poor circulation.
The ER doc did the vagus stimulations, but ended up with the meds in the IV. Strange enough he said my HR went back on it's own just before the meds kicked in. I am not sure. My cardio got a copy of all this and the ecg printouts, but booked me in 2 months down the road. It can't be that serious I guess. He suggested I try the vagus moves if it happens again, or take a beta-blocker he prescribed prior to surgery (Metoprolol). The ER doc said that it could be the re-entry type SVT since my heart is still healing and forming scar tissue. I am almost 7 months post op my valave sparing aortic root replacement, repair of ascending aorta aneurysm and now have a pacemaker.
I just wish I would feel normal again!

Hi Cam, don't be shy to start your own thread and more people will see it and respond.
I understand the frustration of arrhythmias and have SVT episodes also. Before OHS they were infrequent, and my first
week post op my SVT happened in the middle of the night while sleeping and it reached 170 bpm. Scary.
They gave me Sotalol for that one !
Now I still get episodes but I only take Metoprolol since it makes my HR drop too low even on a very low dose. It
may take some experimenting to find the dose that works for you without making you dizzy or lethargic.

Fortunately SVT originates in the atria and is not a "dangerous" arrhythmia such as Ventricular Tachycardia.
Are your episodes co-relating to excessive workouts, or too much caffeine, or too much stress?
I seem to have all of the trigger factors figured out and avoided, but I still have the SVT in brief episodes.

Latest posts

Back