Update On Synthetic Heart Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alan_delac

Hi,

I gave myself task to find out what happened with development of synthetic valve described in this article:

http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=McLennanAward2002

After a fair bit of fruitless search I was given E-mail address of Dr Ian Griffiths and he was very helpful in providing update on this valve. Here is copy of our correspondence. I'm afraid you'll have to read from the bottom up.

Here it is:

Hi Alan

The concept valve has been tested in adult and juvenile sheep. In both models the sheep had no anticoagulation and the valve did very well. In one of those models some manufacturing and leaflet design issues were highlighted. These have now been resolved, but we are back to the partner running functional animal work.

So to answer your question at this stage we believe the valve has the potential to be used without anticoagulation therapy but the proof is yet to be firmly established.

Regards

Ian

Ian,

Thank you for the response. I would like to ask you just one more question. Has this heart valve been tested on animals? Bovine model is of particular interest as it would give a good indication if anticoagulation would be required with this heart valve.

Regards

Alan

Thank you for the offer, but the groups we are dealing with are the large medical device companies. So lobbying will not really help out too much in this scenario.

Again thanks

Ian

Dear Ian

Thank you for your e-mail.

Valvereplacement.com is now a substantial community. Is there something we could do to help the development process? Maybe we could generate some interest by sending a lots of questions even like potential investors.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan

It is not a bother, thank you for the e-mail.

The situation right now is that AorTech has ceased direct investment in the synthetic valve program. However the program was at a suitably mature stage that we envisage a partner with the financial might to endure the clinical trial process will be found. At that time we will make announcements on our web site and communicate the next steps for approval.

In my opinion this technology remains as the leading edge of synthetic valve replacement, hence my optimism for it's introduction to the marketplace.

Please feel free to contact me in future

Regards

Ian

Dear Dr. Griffiths

Sorry to bother you but any news on the heart valve developments is very important to a large number of people in my situation.

I have bicuspid aortic valve and will have to replace the valve sometimes in the next 3-10 years. I am member of valvereplacement.com forum dedicated to support of heart valve patients and their families.
As all of the current medical solutions for this condition have disadvantages we are keenly following the latest developments in the hart valve technologies.

Any information you could provide on development of the heart valve mentioned in this CSIRO article (http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=McLennanAward2002) would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Gunatillake provided your Email address.

Best regards

Alan Delac

Elasteon Polyurethane Valve

Elasteon Polyurethane Valve

I asked some folks at an affiliate to look into this as an opportunity. They were already aware of the ElastEon copolymer, and suggested that the thrombosis risk with the material might not be as stated in the emails. After a flurry of interest and activity, this was the gist of their final response:

AorTech sold their valve to a German company in 2003. The company (AorTech) acknowledged that their valve had no advantages over other valves (it is very difficult to succeed in this business unless you have some distinct advantages over old existing and proven valves).

Sorry, Alan. We all would have liked to see someone invent the valve that will go the distance. Thank you for sharing this hope with us, though.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back