Update on my Dad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. I am here at the hospital. Dads INR is only 1.07. Only up .7 in a day. It's coming up but slow. Question can the inr increase to 1.5 in one days time??? Dad does home inr testing so not sure why theyvare keeping him.he does not need any phisically therapy. Once the inr is what they call therapuetic he can go home. I want my mom to let the surgeon know dad can rest at home and do lovenox too. It's a slow process because the gave a lose dose after surgery because his shoulder incision site won't heal right.

If there is even a little bleeding going on with the shoulder, Lovenox is going to increase it a hundred fold. He's better off being right where he is until he can come off the Lovenox.

As far as his INR goes, did they start him back on his normal dose or are they being stupid and starting too low?

Well Ross they did start it slow last friday but the up'ed it two nights ago a but over what he normally takes. So it's just slow moving process. Can the inr level come up? I wonder what they want it to be to discharge.

Hi Jo Jo,

I am a worrier my self. I've had to keep it in check all my life! If I'm not worrying about one thing, I'm worrying about another! At some point you've got to ask yourself, just what is all this worrying accomplishing?? The funny thing is, and I have to say this, I am a Christian. It really accomplishes nothing, but can make you physically ill and emotional wreck!! If you're no good for yourself, just how can you be of help for someone else??

You Dad is TRULY BLESSED to have a daughter that loves him as much as you do, but take a deep breath, keep busy, say your prayers, and then put your trust in God. We can not control the outcome of EVERYTHING.

Keep calm, keep strong! Do it for your Dad!

If there is even a little bleeding going on with the shoulder, Lovenox is going to increase it a hundred fold. He's better off being right where he is until he can come off the Lovenox.

Jojo,

Listen to Ross...your dad is exactly where he needs to be! Lovenox is really aggressive if there is any post operative bleeding. It really makes it much, much worse. I know you want your dad home, but in this day and age of litigation, hospitals won't let your dad go until his INR is theraputic, so they don't get sued for incompetence. Not that you would sue them, but it's a "one size fits all" approach.

Listen to Kathy, try to let the worry go. It really does not accomplish anything other than making you crazy and your loved ones uncomfortable. Congrats on the quitting smoking, I did that 10 years ago, and it was one of the hardest things I ever did.

Chin up! Your dad is getting good care.

I wonder how long it will be before my dads inr is theraputic and he can go home. I am thankful he is ok but I am also sad he is in the hospital. It's depressing. And I can't see him now till Saturday. Ugh.

Day 6 dad is in the hospital. I am calling around for a therapist for myself today. He was only supposed to be in for 2-3 days, I am so upset. Anyone ever know ANYONE that has been kept in the hospital for LOW INR???

JoJo, If you read through here, it is VERY common for people to be kept in the hospital until their INR is up. You really need to learn how to control your anxiety. Life is too short for all the worry you have going on. Your dad sounds like he is in good hands and will be fine. He'll survive until you get to see him on Saturday.

Kim

Well Ross they did start it slow last friday but the up'ed it two nights ago a but over what he normally takes. So it's just slow moving process. Can the inr level come up? I wonder what they want it to be to discharge.

I don't' know his bleeding situation, but I can tell you that Coumadin will not cause nearly the bleeding that the Lovenox will. They should have started him on his regular usual dose and left it alone. Unfortunately, our great healthcare providers haven't figured that out yet. 50 years and they are still oh so worried about bleeding, but don't realize that Lovenox is a 100 times worse then Coumadin.

The surgeon said that he started it slowly because if my dad bled into the joint sit they replaced in the shoulder, the surgery would have been a waste. So, now they see he is healing nicely they up'd his COumdin to 10 3 nights agao and also 85 for the Lovenox to bridge. He called me just now he finally had a BM. I have a question, could PAIN MEDICATION effect the INR levels ???
I am also worried about his liver - his liver was a little off a month ago but the cardio said nothing to worry about right now - maybe the coumidin is not working because of the liver? Maybe I am overthinking ONCE AGAIN ???

JoJo -

It takes 3 or 4 DAYS for the FIRST Dose of Coumadin to become fully metabolized and to show up in the INR. It may take a full week for his INR to reach theraputic levels.

As they say, "Chill Out"
(Can you imagine this coming from a Senior Citizen? :)

Al you always make me feel better, you and Ross, my BLOOD friends! Well my mom just called, his INR is now 1.2. A doctor came in and asked how my dad is at doing INR and Lovenox at home. Not sure if that means they are sending him yet. I think for his open heart they released him at 1.5 and my mom bridged him...so I dont know. What do you guys think?

If he has successfully bridged and raised his INR to therapeutic level at home in the past, it is likely he can do so again. If the doctor is asking about that past experience, it would seem they are considering discharging him home.

yeah I think after the valve replacement he was sent home low as well and mom bridged him back. we will see, I am nervous, its been SIX days he has been in the hospital and bridging the entire time just was low doses of coumdin in the begining...7.5...now its 10 for 3 days...

tonight he will start 12 Mgs...been down this road before! The reason they are doign it so slow is so the joint heals without bleeding...if that makes any sense...so...
the first 2 days 7.5 , then 4 days of 10 now it will be 12...
oh and lovenox every 12 hours...till theraputic...

My dad is being discharge tonight. He will have my mom give him his shots and he will rake his coumdin tonight. And he will do his inr on his
machine and call it in.

One thing, have him go back to his normal dose and go from there. They are setting him up to begin the teeter totter effect.

Dad is doing well. Today his INR was 1.6. He has a dull headache on and off and some mild surgery soreness but that's really it. Jojo

Latest posts

Back