Update: its been awhile

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahL

Hello everyone,
Its been awhile since ive posted. June 12th is my 4 month mark since my mechanical valve replacement. Ive had alot of ups and downs, but so far im still haning in there. I keep having problems with my blood pressure and heart rate. I started back to work 8 weeks after surgery and it was rough. Im a waitress and i would come home everyday about to die in pain and exhaustion. I did quit that job, and went to a desk job now which is a whole lot better. But i still have alot of soreness in my chest and scar area. Especially after im sitting at my computer at work for awhile, i get really sore. I also get really sore when i lift things or use my upper body alot. I thought after almost 4 months that soreness would be gone by now. I still get tired easily and i have to take a small nap everyday, but that is getting better each week now. The ticking i hear in my chest is not as noticeable now, about the only time i hear it is when i lay down at night and all is quiet except the tick tick i hear LOL. I have had 2 echos now and my doctor said all looks great in there.

IM glad I had the surgery done. I have noticed alot of changes (all good) since having the surgery. I didnt realized just how bad i did feel this past year. My kids comment all the time on how much better i am now. My quality of life has improved so much and im so thakful.

Hope everyone is doing good, and those of you getting ready to go through the surgery,Trust me its worth it.
Hugs to everyone,
sarah L

Sarah...great post:)....It takes about a year for most to get back to "normal".....thanks for sharing you experience, strength and hope with those just out of surgery and those in the waiting room:)

Sarah,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are making very good progress. Regarding the soreness after working at the computer, would it help to take regular stretching breaks? I find that helps with my ailing knee (which is not the same as OHS recovery, I realize, but sometimes we get stiff and sore from working in front of a puter too long. At least I do.)

Best wishes,

Hi Sarah

GREAT to hear from you!!! I've been wondering how you're doing, but didn't want to call and bother you. Your ups and downs are perfectly normal and I'm really glad you're not doing all the lifting at the restaurant. So glad the soreness is getting better, too, and it will continue to. Hopefully your breathing is back to better than normal. Remember, there's nothing wrong with naps....matter of fact, I just got up from one.

Take care of yourself and drop a note when you can.

Evelyn and Tyce

Did you go to Cardiac Rehab ?

IF you have insurance coverage for Rehab, I highly recommend it. If not, perhaps you could visit a Cardiac Rehab facility, talk with the nurses about their recommended exercises, and watch what the registered patients are doing (tread mill, "arm cycle" machines - which did a LOT to loosen my stiff upper arm, shoulder, and back muscles, and different types of bicycle simulators).

Ask your Surgeon if he has any handouts showing recommended stretches and arm exercises also.

FWIW, it took over a year before I felt like I had 'reconditioned' my body following AVR.

Good to hear that its been pretty good for you...I remember having some issues with chest soreness long after I thought it should have all gone away. My pain wasn't along the incision site but about 2 inches out from it and just in one spot on one rib...It went away again after a week or so and has never returned...I decided I had probably done something to stir it up.

hello sarah L

Its been almost 5 months for me (AVR & Aortic trunk), still a bit sore as you are. Doctor said I may have done to much to soon. Sounds like you went back to work quickly as i did and i understand being the bread winner. Sure hope i get use to my clicking noise as you have. Doc says that i should get use to it but im starting to wonder. All in all, its better to here it than to not. Hope your soreness gets better soon and all will be well. May God continue to bless us all. Glenn

Back