Unexplained scratches

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all--
Not sure where to post this, and this is partly inspired by another thread, but I noticed Wednesday as I was preparing to shower for the first time after my ablation that I had some scratches (looks like fingernail marks) on my upper left arm, and a scratch ( small chunk of skin missing) from my chest. The latter, I know, is not the IV port wound. That's up higher on my chest.

I know I didn't do ths to myself--my right hand is too weak to scratch myself like that on my left arm.

Other than insinuating that a nurse was man-handling me, what could it be? Has anyone else had weird scratches/bruising, etc. after surgeries?

Oh, and Ross, don't even think of dragging the Hubster into this one. Hint: He did not spend the night with me.:eek:

Thanks,
Debi (debster913)

I think I had such a bad reaction to all the glue from cardiac monitoring,
I probably wouldn't have noticed. But..no,I don't think so. I guess it could
be a nurse or tech who has fingernails,or if its in a spot you could have scratched yourself(?)
Just make sure to clean it really well since it could have happened at anytime and you aren't sure
what caused it. IF it looks bad,I might even mention it,just in case.Wishing you well-Dina

Could it be a reaction from tape? I know that Joe's skin was sensitive to most tape and would react. It could also pull bits of skin off, if it were removed too fast.

Could it be a reaction from tape? I know that Joe's skin was sensitive to most tape and would react. It could also pull bits of skin off, if it were removed too fast.
Yes,that is what happens to me...the tape-not glue:rolleyes:
Alot of people are sensitive and they even have hypoallergenic
stickies for the cardiac monitoring and EKG's,but they need to
be specially ordered by the doc.
Thanks Nancy,I think during surgery they must have removed
a section of grey matter...cuz it seems my IQ has dropped a few:(
Dina

I had so many bruises and black and blues after surgery, I didn't even want to know how they all got there. :) They manipulate our bodies in so many ways and just moving us from gurney to bed post op can cause a bruise. Maybe an orderly or nurse's hand slipped a bit when they were moving you and their fingernail injured you.

I wouldn't worry too much about them. Make sure they are clean and healing and chances are huge they will be fine.

No doubt medical professionals keep their nails clipped short, since it's easier to clean their nails with very short nails.

As for as your scratches, it could be that perhaps someone was moving you and just the pressure of their fingers might have caused the marks. Those things might not show up instantly.

:confused::confused: makes you wonder eh Deb?

any conclusions from you some great advice in posts,

that may have caused scratches;)

Hope your doing better and feeling good:)

zipper2 (DEB)

The marks on your arm which look like scratches could be ecchymoses (?) or bruising caused by the automatic blood pressure cuff. Because I am fair-skinned and people have difficulty in believing my low pressure readings, they check it multiple times, tightening the cuff more each time. Finally, from pain, my pressure goes up. I often get these marks during such blood pressure checks. People undergoing surgeries , especially heart and orthopedic problems, often get heparin or other anticoagulants, or need anticoagulants because of a previous cardiac condition or coagulopathy. These folks bruise more easily.

Hope this is helpful,
-Laura

The marks on your arm which look like scratches could be ecchymoses (?) or bruising caused by the automatic blood pressure cuff. Because I am fair-skinned and people have difficulty in believing my low pressure readings, they check it multiple times, tightening the cuff more each time. Finally, from pain, my pressure goes up. I often get these marks during such blood pressure checks. People undergoing surgeries , especially heart and orthopedic problems, often get heparin or other anticoagulants, or need anticoagulants because of a previous cardiac condition or coagulopathy. These folks bruise more easily.

Hope this is helpful,
-Laura

I had an incident where the "Blood Pressure Cuff from Hell" got an erroneous reading and then went to FULL PRESSURE. Foolishly, I let it come down S L O W L Y which left me with a Purple Arm, eventually extending from Shoulder to Wrist! (Yes, I was on Lovenox injections at the time)

If that ever happens again, I will RIP IT OFF before it can cause that kind of bruising again.

I had similar issues after my surgery--lots of bruising in very strange shapes plus cuts and scrapes everywhere, on my arms and all over my chest. Right under my left breast there is this oddly shaped brown scar. When I got home and looked at it carefully I realized it was a patch of little tiny blisters all clustered together--I know it was really gross! (but thankfully not oozy or anything) But I realized that it was all different allergic reactions to the adhesive on the electrodes and the various dressings that were being using on me and everyone's handling of me because I kept bruising VERY easily. In fact I'm about 3 weeks post op and you can still see the bruising on my wrist and neck. I also still have remnants of the scratches and other allergic reactions on my arms and chest.

I did ask for hypoallergenic pads and paper tape and kept mentioning my allergy to adhesives to the nursing staff and doctors but it didn't seem to matter. You may also be allergic to adhesives too. Apparently you can develop this allergy at any time in life and maybe this happened to you in the hospital because of how much was being placed on your body at once. I found out about my allergy last year when I kept getting these fake nails (i'm a chronic nail biter and had lots of meetings I needed to look well groomed for) and then one day I got these huge blisters on my fingers and turned out that I was allergic to the nail glue adhesive and my dermotologist explained to me that you can sometimes develop this allergy after excessive exposure to adhesives and that it can be developed at any age.

Anyway now that the scratches are there probably you should just clean them every day with soap and water and then pat dry. For the open wounds maybe a wet dressing with paper tape is a good idea. I wouldn't put anything on them ointment or creamwise because you never know what may irritate or infect them further.

Back