Typical For Surgeon To Call Night Before

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Question: Is it typical for your surgeon to phone you the night before surgery to discuss it with you? Dr. Cameron's secretary said he phones every patient the night before surgery.

mine didn't, but that is a nice thing to do. Mine did come and see me at around 6 or 7 am one morning, then called in a change of meds for me at midnight - I sure hope he wasn't operating the next day!

I actually saw mine the day before surgery. I think it's a nice touch that he calls all patients beforehand. Good luck to you.

Kim

I don't think that's typical for a surgeon to do but it certainly is a very nice gesture on his part! You have one heck of a surgeon!! :)

Best of luck to you!! We will be waiting to hear the good news!! :)

My surgeon didn't call. No problem. If I had questions or needed to speak with him, I knew how to reach him. :) My cardio called me regularly during my month waiting for my second surgery. I thought that outstanding.

night before

night before

i had to check in at the hospital by 3 pm on the day before the operation and the surgeon came in to see me at about 4.30 and had a chat; it was a sunday afternoon.

i just presumed this was normal practice

Joe's has, and rather late too. But that was because there was some sort of scheduling snafu that finally got ironed out and he wanted to let Joe know to be there first thing in the AM.

It is not unheard of.

I was admitted the day before surgery and the surgeon then the anaesthetist came to visit me the evening before surgery. In fact it was during that evening visit that the surgeon asked me what sort of valve I wanted, tissue or mechanical. :)

Mine called me before and after, his entire team in surgery came to my room to see how I was doing!!! I was shocked they cared so much! Love my doctors!!!!

My anesthesiologist called the night before and we discussed the surgery in detail for at least 30 minutes. The surgeon did not call, but per my request he stopped by my room shortly before the surgery to discuss valve choice. He probably would have spoken with me anyway had I not asked. I found out the night before that I needed an aneurysm repair and needed more info before making a final decision.

Mine didn't. I don't think I would have liked that discussion the night before - too nervous. However, the morning of I was freaking out that I wasn't going to be able to talk to my surgeon and get his reassurance before the procedure. It had been 2 months since I had last spoke with him and it would have been nice to get reassurance that he remembered my case and reviewed it again with me. Glad to see your surgeon being proactive!

Yep, Dr. Cameron calls everyone the night before surgery. I think he partly does this due to the ever changing schedules at Hopkins (transplants come first) and also him trying to make sure his patients are on the same page. He also came in and made rounds on me the day after, and 2 other times. His team checked on me everyday. One day he came in on a holiday.

Dr. Cameron called me the night before to tell me there was a 50/50 shot my surgery the next morning would be delayed. He actually scrubbed out of a surgery to call me. It did end up being moved from Fri to Mon, and he called me the Sunday night before to talk. Very nice man and it really helped me.

I may call tomorrow to find out, but does anyone know how frequently you get bumped at Hopkins. Seems like it happened to Maryka and coach. Colleen were you bumped?

Latest posts

Back