Types of Exercise with moderate/severe aortic stenosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfwlaw

Hi everyone. I was wondering what are the various types and intensity of exercise all of you are doing while in the waiting room for AVR. My typical form was to walk/run for 4-6 miles each at least 4 times per week. My cardiologist is saying she doesn't feel comfortable with me running at all. This is very upsetting to me. Am I just limited to walking only? I would love to hear what you all are doing.

If you know of suggestions for where to keep my heart rate and for what length of time, the would be helpful too. I have a heart rate monitor and I don't feel awful when running. I feel heaviness in the chest but that is it. Isn't that normal for running. And please understand, this is not elite running here!! I walk and run intervals of 1 minute each and my running pace is less than 5 mph. I just feel like this should be ok.

Thanks again!
CFWLAW ("Cindi")

Hi Cindi,

First of all I should say that everyone should take advice from their cardiologist regarding exercise prior, or post, AVR since their cardiologist must know about the state of their heart. Prior to surgery, when I had moderate aortic stenosis, I had no limitations when it came to exercise - I was doing weight lifting, not light weights but obviously not as heavy as many men, but still pretty heavy. I did (still do) a high intensity super slow technique three times a week And walked 5 to 6 miles every day. When the stenosis was severe and I was referred for surgery I still carried on most of my weight lifting but cut out the leg press (had been dloing 150 kilo (330 pounds) leg press) as that put an especial type of strain on the heart. The day before surgery I did a five mile walk and lifted some weights. I never took my heart rate. We have to be guided by the doctors that care for us, and by how we feel. I never had any symptoms even when I had severe stenosis. If you’'re not sure about your cardiologist’'s advice can you get a second opinion ?

Last edited:
I would listen to your doctor and take a good look at the stenosis numbers. I go in in two weeks for my surgery and have a loose suture on my last valve so I am laying pretty low until after. I do make sure and do some standing in place stuff while I make the coffee in the morning (picture that, lol) and try to get outside for a walk around every day. I have trouble breathing from the stenosis though so I don't go very far or for very long. Everyone is different I am sure, but I do know that through the last years I have never had one pain in my chest. Heart symptoms in women can be very different than men.
Good luck to you.

I'm waiting for mitral valve repair/ replacement. I do 25-30 min/ day on an elliptical, & usually 25-45 min walk/ day. My cardiologist said to keep that up-no limitations & no setting a max heart rate. I've been instructed to call immediately if I start to feel breathless or have pain

Cindi, I would suggest you have a more detailed discussion with your cardio to do two things. First, to impart to that cardio how important you feel your fitness/exercise is to you. Second, to get the cardio to think about what you say and then work with you to tailor your exercise plan to your current abilities and keep things safe for you. A lot has to do with your current situation with respect to echo measurements and symptoms, if any.

I've (almost) always had very open dialog with my cardio's. We worked together to develop my treatment plan. Before my surgery, even when I was in the "severe" category, I was still running 3 miles/day, 7 days/week. I did notice that my time per mile slowed as my valve worsened. (I actually used my mile times to assess progression of my stenosis.) I started at 7:30 (at around age 60) and gradually, by the time of surgery at age 63, I had slowed to around 9:00/mile. At the time, my heart rate would often get up into the 160's with no issues. As for weights, for many years my cardio has advised me to lift light weights to high reps. I used to lift moderate weights (bench pressing my own weight, etc.) but now only use 15 lb. hand weights, sets of 30 reps. I still do push-ups, though, but can't do sit-ups due to back issues.

I think a major part of the process for you and your cardio to have a shared understanding of your current capabilities, any danger points, and of your vision for your physical fitness from now until surgery. After surgery, you will have to re-develop the vision and plan to your future abilities and condition. For example, my knees "wore out" so I now walk and use an elliptical rather than running. Also, since I now have a pacemaker and take a beta blocker, I can't run my heart rate up as high as I used to. For me, though, the important thing is that my cardio and I have come to an agreement on my activity plans, and those plans seem to be meeting my objectives of cardio health, muscle tone and weight control.

Oh, BTW, when I said that I "almost" always had open dialog with my cardio I meant that when I had a cardio who would not engage and let me partner in my own care, I "fired" him. I've always felt that if I was not comfortable having a "spirited" dialog with one of my docs, then she/he was not right for me. I take a very active role in my own care, and if a doctor does not appreciate that, we're done.

Last edited:
Hi there! I was in the same boat for about 6 months prior to my AVR. Had previously run and worked out a lot at the gym and cardiologist said to not do anything to get my HR up. I did a lot of walking and did some weights with 5 lb dumbells at home. I wasn't happy about it, but it was not worth the risk of what could have happened. Following my AVR I have been getting back to running and and working out and it feels great (although hard because I've lost a lot of my strength and emdurance).

I know it's hard, but listen to your cardiologist. I would think your limitations will most likely be until your AVR, not forever!!!

The best exercise to do before and after, walking, inside and out. While the weather is good, walk several blocks a day. After, build it back up to more each day at a pace. Yes, you can pace yourself and get a good workout. Your cardio would not say no to walking. And you can get an electrical tread mill or walk in your house when the weather is too cold to walk outside. Never walk for exercise in freezing cold when you are a cardiac person, the cold is hard on the heart. Good luck and walk, walk, walk, at a pace.
Hugs for today. :)

I agree, listen to your doc. I have moderate/severe stenosis also, my doc told me I could do some running, just watch for symptoms. I do not have any symptoms, yet. I've been pretty active all my life so I have good strong heart, with no other heart related problem, am sure that's the reason I got the green lite. Oh yea, been a non-smoker all my life

Back