Tyce And His Avr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evelyn - Good to hear that Tyce is home. There is not a better feeling in the process than being back home, regardless of which bed. Anyway, I very happy for you and Tyce and hope the recovery continues to be uneventful.

hi evelyn!
so glad to hear that tyce is home. makes it easier in many ways.
please try and get some rest while he dozes; you'll be very tired otherwise.
wishing him a continued smooth recovery. be well and thanks for keeping us posted, sylvia

Hey Evelyn, make sure he doesn't start out running you shortly. Take this time to get ready for that day! :D

HI ALL....QUICK UPDATE ON TYCE. JUST GOT BACK FROM THE CARDIO AND HIS PTINR TEST. LEVEL OF COUMADIN WAS WAY UP 4.7, SO HE'S NOT TAKING ANY TONIGHT, AND THEN 2.5 WED, THURS., AND WE GO BACK FOR ANOTHER TEST ON FRIDAY. HE/WE ARE OUT WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE AND PROPERTY 3 TO 4 TIMES A DAY. THIS MORNING WE SAT OUT ON THE DECK AND HAD A CUP OF COFFEE....WHAT A THRILL. HIS APPETITE IS DEFINITELY NOT WHAT IT WAS, BUT IT IS COMING BACK SLOWLY.

ONE THING HE DID SAY WAS THAT HE HEARS HIS HEART POUNDING AT NIGHT OR WHEN HE'S SLEEPING AND DOESN'T LIKE IT VERY MUCH, BUT WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE, IT'S OK WITH ME. I GUESS IT'S SOMETHING HE'LL GET USED TO. ASIDE FROM THAT NOT MUCH ELSE IS NEW, BUT THAT'S A GOOD THING.

I'D VALUE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE HEART POUNDING AND COUMADIN LEVELS....I'M NOT TOO CONCERNED, BUT YOU GUYS HAVE ALL BEEN THROUGH THIS AND WE'RE THE NEWBIES ON THE BLOCK.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING.

EVELYN

A lot of people feel the heart pounding. Joe has double clicking valves and they're not in sync because he has afib, so he has a sound machine that emits white noise or soothing sounds like rainfall, ocean waves etc. They're inexpensive. If it bothers Tyce, get him one of those.

That's great news about your husband.

The INR issue is one that will get straightened out. Consistency is the key. Sounds like he is really being taken care of.

The pounding heart is normal, I think. Many folks post surgery complain of it, including my husband. Mu husband can take his own pulse by sitting still and "feeling" it in his neck. His tricuspid valve has a severe leak, and this is one of the symptoms.

Mu husband wears a hearing aid, and does not hear his "click". Everyone else does though. (he is also a double valver)

We have taken that commercial about cell phones to a very high level at our house. He'll often say...."Can you hear me now?" all over the house. We are often laughing about it. It doesn't bother me one bit. I love the sound. It is SO much better than pre surgery, when he furgled during his sleep, and was oftne panting from shortness of breath.

Best wishes to you.

Marybeth

Hi Evelyn,

I had a lot of 'side effects' and other anomolies following my surgery so I kept a Log of my Vital Signs ( Temp, Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, Respatory Rate, Weight, fluid input / output, BM, medications, and exercise).

My PCP advised me to drink enough water that my urine output was nearly clear (NOT Dark). Monitoring weight and ankle circumference will allow you to ensure that he is not accumulating fluids or developing Congestive Heart Failure (when the lungs retain fluid).

'AL'

TYCE AND HIS FOLLOWUP

TYCE AND HIS FOLLOWUP

WELL, TODAY BROUGHT ANOTHER TRIP TO THE CARDIO. WHEN I TOOK HIS BP/ PULSE AND HEART RATE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT HE WAS EITHER TACHY OR IN AFIB.....GUESS WHAT.....YEP, AFIB. SO HE HAS NOW INCREASED HIS AMIODARONE, ADDED ONE 20 MG. OF LASIX UNTIL FRIDAY JUST TO SEE IF WE CAN GET IT BACK INTO NSR. THE GOOD SIDE IS THAT OUR CARDIO DID AN ECHO AND HIS VALVE LOOKS GREAT, AND THE SIZE OF HIS HEART HAS RETURNED TO NORMAL....WHAT A THRILL THAT ONE WAS. HIS LUNGS WERE ALSO CLEAR, SO THAT IS A PLUS. HE DEFINITELY USES THAT SPIROMETER ALMOST HOURLY. HE WASN'T TOO SURPRISED BY THE AFIB AND SAYS THAT MANY PEOPLE GO INTO IT AFTER SUCH SURGERY....I HOPE HE'S RIGHT. I'D JUST LIKE HIM TO BE OUT OF IT AND OK. ON FRIDAY HE GOES FOR HIS PROTIME TEST, AND THEN WILL SEE OUR REGULAR CARDIO WHO HAS BEEN AWAY.

NANCY, HOW LONG HAS YOUR HUSBAND HAD AFIB, AND WHAT DRUGS/CARDIOVERSION HAVE THEY DONE, IF YOU DON'T MIND MY ASKING? I GUESS I WAS HOPING ABOVE HOPE THAT WE WOULD JUST GO ON FROM THE SURGERY, BUT I'VE COME TO REALIZE, JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU SAY THAT THERE ARE BOTH GOOD AND BAD DAYS......GUESS I JUST LIKE THE GOOD ONES BETTER.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT......I'M SLOWLY LEARNING THAT THIS IS TRULY A JOURNEY, AND CONSIDERING THAT HE IS ONE WEEK POST OP AS OF 3:45 THIS AFTERNOON, I KNOW I CAN'T COMPLAIN. HE IS OUT AND ABOUT THE HOUSE WALKING, BUT ONLY IN THE MORNING AND EARLY EVENING BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN SO VERY HOT HERE.....EVEN THE DOGS DON'T WANT TO GO OUTSIDE AND I DON'T BLAME THEM.

WE BOTH DID CRASH THIS AFTERNOON AFTER THE CARDIO....FELT GREAT!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE, YOU GUYS DEFINITELY KEEP ME GROUNDED.

EVELYN

Hello again Evelyn,

YEP, A-Fib is pretty common after heart surgery. I had two events following my bypass. By the time the Holter Monitor arrived, you guessed it, no more events.

Also went into A-Fib 4 days after my AVR (still in hospital). The nurse gave me a shot of Digoxen (through an IV), followed by a second injection (after 30? minutes), followed by a pill (I forgot what). At that point, she got nervous and sent me back to CICU. By the time I arrived, everything was back to normal and they wondered why I had been sent back. No more events. I'm on a fairly low dose of a time relased Beta Blocker.

Watch the Amiodarone...it's POWERFUL stuff. Do a search on that name and you should be able to find all of the info on it. If I remember, long term use can be 'tricky'. I confess I don't remember the details.

Tyce's walking schedule sounds pretty familiar, morning and evenings, and yes, the DOGS don't care much for the midday sun!
My big one lays on the linoleum floor in the kitchen in front of a fan
most of the day ! She likes to sneak into a neighbor's pond if she thinks she can get away with it :)

'AL'

HI Evelyn-

Joe has been in afib for years. I can't remember when he was in normal sinus rhythm. He has never had cardioversion. It was discussed at one point but the cardiologist didn't hold out much hope that it would stay in normal rhythm, and he felt that being in chronic afib was something Joe could live with. It's something lots of folks live with. Joe is on Coumadin anyway. He was never on Amiodarone.

When his heart started to have episodes of tachycardia, bradycardia and other arrhythmias, including some pauses which finally caused him to faint several times, it was decided to implant a pacemaker. The pacemaker keeps the slow heartbeats in the normal range, and meds control the fast heartbeats. In addition, sometimes now, he is in normal sinus rhythm. The pacemaker has been a real blessing for him.

Last edited:
Hi Evelyn, and all, I was on a holter moniter one time, and I HATED it! I was ready for the 48 hours to be OVER! The tape itched, and I couldn't scratch it. I guess I have been lucky enough not to have gone into Afib, but I have had bad migraines, and I think a lot of people get them. I also get lightheaded and car sick now. It gets old! Well, I better get going. Evelyn, I am happy that Tyce is doing so well. Before you know it, he'll be better than he ever was before. With all the energy he will have, he'll feel great!
Take it easy!

Evelyn

Evelyn

Sorry it has taken me this long to post to you on your loved one's great recovery. Glad that he is doing so well. You are to thanks for that. Having someone there does help a lot more. I am single, but had my brother for a shorttime. It helped. You two keep hanging in there. He is doing great with your help hon.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

HELLO ALL......OUR UPDATE CONTINUES. WENT TO THE CARDIO TODAY FOR ANOTHER PTINR....2.8, MUCH BETTER THAN 4.7. HE IS OUR REGULAR CARDIO. I TOLD HIM I WANTED THE PROTIME SYSTEM AND HE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH FILLING OUT THE PAPERWORK....NOW IT'S UP TO HIS INSURANCE COMPANY. AFTER READING THE LIST I FEEL IT IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING WE SHOULD HAVE SO WE CAN BETTER REGULATE THE COUMADIN LEVEL, AND SINCE YOU ALL LIKE IT SO MUCH, I FIGURED IT WAS THE WAY TO GO.

ANYWAY, BACK TO TYCE.....THEY'RE VERY PLEASED WITH HIS PROGRESS. THE INCISION IS HEALING NICELY, HIS BP IS WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE AND HE'S BACK IN SINUS RHYTHM. SO HE'S ON THE AMIODARONE 400 FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND THEN HE DROPS OFF TO 200MG. DAILY. BETWEEN THAT, ZESTRIL, COREG AND COUMADIN, WE'RE BUSY JUGGLING MEDS....I HAD TO WRITE EVERYTHING ON THE CALENDAR SO WE KNOW WHEN WE'RE STOPPING, STARTING, ETC. NO MORE LASIX, EITHER.

TYCE'S SPIRITS ARE GOOD, BUT HE DEFINITELY IS TIRED. GOING TO THE DR. TODAY AND WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE 3 TIMES WAS ABOUT IT, ALTHOUGH HE DID EMPTY THE DISHWASHER FOR ME WHEN I WAS OUTSIDE MOWING.

HE DOES HAVE A BURNING SENSATION NEAR HIS HEART, WHICH THE CARDIO SAYS IS THE PERICARDIAL SAC....HE SAYS IT'S NORMAL, BUT I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANY OF YOU EVER EXPERIENCED THE BURNING THAT HE SAYS HE HAS. HE ALSO HAS REALLY BEEN PUSHING THE SPIROMETER===WHEN DO YOU THINK HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO START BACKING OFF IT? I'M WONDERING IF THAT COULD BE CAUSING THE BURNING SENSATION, AS HE DIDN'T HAVE IT PRIOR TO WEDNESDAY.....

I TOLD THE CARDIO ABOUT THIS SITE AND HOW MUCH I LOVED IT. HE WROTE IT DOWN TO GIVE TO HIS OTHER VALVERS WHO HAVE EMAIL, SO YOU MIGHT BE GETTING SOME MORE NY MEMBERS. HE WAS SAYING THAT IN THE LAST MONTH HE'S SENT 5 PEOPLE TO ST. FRANCIS FOR VALVE REPLACEMENTS, TYCE BEING ONE OF THEM, ALL WITH DR. TAYLOR, AND ALL HAVE COME BACK WITH THE SAME REPORTS OF HOW MUCH THEY LOVED HIM.

WELL, IT'S GETTING LATE AND IS FINALLY COOL IN THE NORTHEAST, SO I'M HEADING OFF TO BED.....BELIEVE ME, 11:00 IS VERY LATE FOR ME, TOO.......MUST BE ALL THOSE NAPS.

THANKS YOU GUYS AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN.

EVELYN

Hello Evelyn,

You can't imagine how jealous I am of Tyce's smooth recovery!

I'm starting to feel more energetic at 6 weeks but I had a LOT of problems, many stemming from what has finally been diagnosed as chest wall inflamation / irritation caused by the chest tube. Vioxx cleared it up but I had to quit the Vioxx after 6 days when my legs began to feel VERY HEAVY and I could hardly make it up the inclines on my street when I walked. This is known side effect of Vioxx.

I don't know what to say about when to stop / slow down on the spirometer. Good question for your cardiologist. You could probably just call it in and ask one of his nurses to get an answer and call you back.

Best wishes, 'AL'

HI AL

AM GLAD TO HEAR YOU'RE FEELING BETTER. I HOPE EACH DAY BRINGS MORE AND MORE ENERGY TO YOU.....ARE YOU A WALKER? HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK NOW?

WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE CARDIO FOR AT COAG. TEST ON MONDAY, SO I DEFINITELY WILL ASK THE NURSE ABOUT THE SPIROMETER.....HOW LONG DID YOU DO IT? IF HE STILL HAS THE BURNING IN THIS CHEST, I WILL DEFINITELY ASK ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF ANTIBIOTICS FOR IT, TOO....AND YOU'RE RIGHT, TYCE'S PAIN IS ABOVE AND TO THE LEFT OF WHERE THEY REMOVED THE TUBE......DID YOU HAVE AN INFECTION? I KNOW HE DEFINITELY HAS DISCOMFORT THERE, ORIGINALLY HE SAID ABOUT THE SIZE OF A ORANGE, BUT NOW THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR.

THANKS LOTS.

EVELYN

My chest wall irritation was on the Back Side. I could actually hear and feel it moving as I breathed, especially when I laid on my back or right side. I suspsect someone must have used my chest wall as a backstop when inserting the tube!

I'm up to 1.5 miles total walking most days now, split into two walks,
one in the morning and the other in the late evening. It's too 'SULTRY' during the day to venture outside here in the 'Sunny South'

I'm still using my spirometer, but not at often. I'm hitting 2000 ml or better most of the time. Peak around 2500 ml if I really work at it.

'AL'

Hi Evelyn,
We corresponded on the Heart Centre List.(Birch) Somebody suggested this Forum so,like you I checked it out. I have found it very useful, informative and comforting.
I was thinking of you both and how it was all going on June 26 and did what I could for you to storm heaven from the Southern Hemisphere. I have reviewed the thread and it sounds as If things are going well for you and Tyce, most of the time.

I have now reached 5 months post surgery and so much of what you report sounds very familiar to me.Step by step you get over the hurdles and gradually ease into a new life. I have had 3 episodes of AF and continue with a low dose of Sotalol to keep things stable. May get off that in time. My INR has been stable for the past 6 weeks or more but I am up for a test this coming week.
Basically my cardiologist and surgeon have signed me off as ready to re-join the world ...so long as I use some common sense.

I am being very dedicated to my exercise program and diet and am currently looking out for a 5 or 10 K race I can enter later in the year using a walk -run technique. Speed is not the goal but a finish would be enough. The issue for me is to pace myself and not overdo things with work and exercise. I have lost about 12 Kilograms in weight. Some days I just feel completely worn out if I take on too much.
All this is to say that if you stay with the plan and with an ounce of good luck some goodtimes lay ahead for you both.
Sounds to me you are being a great support. You know my thoughts on how crucial this is to the recovery process.
My wife continues to watch after me, watch my meds and that I don't miss any. My kids bunk me up if I feel a bit down.I have a new grandaughter (3 weeks) so I have much to be thankful for.
I hope recovery continues according to plan and that you can report the good news on the Forum.
GB

HELLO BIRCH AND ALL.....

AS YOU CAN SEE BY MY ICON, TODAY IS A COOL DAY....ALL SEEMS WELL AND WE'RE DOING OK. TYCE TOOK A NAP THIS AFTERNOON, AS DID I, AND NOW HE'S WATCHING SOME GOLF GAME ON THE TV. WE HAVEN'T DONE TOO MUCH AND THAT'S OK!!!

BIRCH, SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AND THAT ALL IS WELL. WERE YOU A RUNNER BEFORE THE AVR? GOOD LUCK WITH THE RACE AND WITH THAT GRANDBABY.....DEFINITELY REASONS TO GO FORWARD!

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER COUMADIN CHECK. OUR DR. SIGNED THE SCRIPTS AND LETTER OF NECESSITY FOR THE PROTIME TEST, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT'S WORTH IT TO COMPARE IT TO THE COAGUCHECK.....IS EITHER ONE BETTER OR MORE ACCURATE? I'VE READ THE POSTINGS, BUT ANY OTHER WORDS OF ADVICE BEFORE I SEND THE PAPERS TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD BE WELCOME. THERE'S NO QUESTION THAT WE WILL PUT IT TO GOOD USE. I DEFINITELY PLAN TO CHECK AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK AND FAX IT TO OUR CARDIO.

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL 4TH WEEKEND. TYCE JUST BEING HOME MADE IT GREAT FOR US.

PEACE

EV

HI Evelyn!

Glad to hear things are going well on your end, for the most part. Just a couple comments: My heartbeat is very forceful and pounding at times, but I think it's on a trend toward getting quieter. The docs told me this is very normal after surgery, to be expected. Also, a PA told me that when I go out to take my first post-op drive in the car (that is, with me at the wheel), to take the spirometer out with me and throw it in the trash. So, about a month. And by then, I didn't need it anymore. The PA also said that it's important to get RID of it then because it's a breeding ground for germs and bacteria, and you don't want to be inhaling all that into your lungs. If you ever need another one, they'll give you another one....

I'm VERY impressed that Tyce's heart is back to normal size. Did I read that right??!! They told me this should happen for me, but not for six to twelve months after surgery. But of course, everyone is different, starting at a different point. So, I would take this as an encouraging sign!!

bye 4 now,
Jennie

HI JENNIE AND ALL.....

LATEST POST. TYCE TOOK HIS FIRST SET OF STAIRS TODAY....3 AT A TIME AND A REST IN BETWEEN, ONLY BECAUSE I SAID SO, BUT DEFINITELY A REST IN BETWEEN. WE WENT TO THE CARDIO THIS AM FOR A PROTIME TEST AND IT WAS 2.8....THEY'RE HAPPY, WE'RE HAPPY! WE THEN WENT FOR A RIDE UP THE ISLAND, WENT OUT TO LUNCH, GOT LOTTO TICKETS, MAIL AND CAME BACK HOME. WE WERE OUT FROM ABOUT 10-4, MOST OF THE TIME RIDING IN THE CAR, BUT DEFINITELY A CHANGE OF PACE. HE'S NAPPING RIGHT NOW AND THAT'S GOOD.

OUR CARDIO TODAY SAID THAT AS LONG AS HE'S UP AND ABOUT HE CAN THROW AWAY THE SPIROMETER. THE ONLY USE IT HAS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT VERY MOBILE TO WARD OFF PNEUMONIA. ONCE A PERSON IS 2-3 WEEKS POSTOP AND IS UP AND FUNCTIONING, IT'S PRETTY USELESS. I STILL THINK I'LL MAKE HIM USE IT 3X'S A DAY, BUT WILL DEFINITELY CUT DOWN. TOMORROW, WEATHER PERMITTING, WE'LL TAKE A SHORT ROADWALK, ABOUT.3 EACH WAY UNLESS HE GETS TIRED.

YES, JENNIE, YOU DID READ THAT RIGHT, HIS HEART IS BACK TO NORMAL SIZE. WE'VE DECIDED TO GO ON A MINI VACATION THE END OF AUGUST TO MAINE, JUST TO SIT ON THE BEACH AND RELAX AND BE TOURISTOS. JUST TO DO NOTHING BUT REWARD EACH OTHER FOR GETTING THROUGH THIS.

HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY CHEST PAIN TODAY AND FEELS GREAT. THAT'S WONDERFUL NEWS.

WHEN AND WHERE DID YOU HAVE YOUR SURGERY AND HOW ARE YOU DOING OVERALL?

ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE IN MY PRAYERS EVERY NIGHT.......CHAT SOON. EV

Latest posts

Back