Tyce And His Avr

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVELYN

JUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE ON TYCE'S AVR SURGERY YESTERDAY....HE'S NOW IN A REAL ROOM, WAS MOVED OUT OF ICU THIS MORNING ABOUT 9 A.M. IS ON SOLID FOODS, DINNER OF CARROTS AND PASTA....yuck....AND GOT UP AND WALKED TODAY ABOUT 200 FT. HE STILL HAS THE CHEST TUBES IN AND IS PRODUCING A MODERATE AMOUNT OF DRAINAGE, STILL HAS THE CATHETER IN....THEY'RE HOPING TOMORROW TO REMOVE IT. HE IS ON PAIN PILLS...OXICODONE....AND THANK YOU TO WHOMEVER MENTIONED THE SPIROMETER AND USING IT AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.....HE HAS BEEN. HE'S UP TO 2500 ON THE DIAL AND TRIES TO USE IT ONCE AN HOUR DURING HIS WAKING MOMENTS.

WHEN I SAW HIM IN ICU, HE STILL HAD THE RESPIRATOR IN. THEY WOULDN'T GIVE HIM ANY MORPHINE UNTIL IT CAME OUT, BUT ONCE IT DID AND THE MORPHINE TOOK EFFECT, HE SLEPT FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS LAST NIGHT. NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE'RE BOTH GLAD IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!! IT CERTAINLY LOOKS GOOD, AND HIS NURSE SAID HE HAS ONLY SHOWN 1 PVC IN THE LAST 8 HOURS......AMAZING, ISN'T IT! HIS CARDIO SAID THAT HE DIDN'T THINK THE AVR WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR HIS PVC'S, BUT IT SEEMS AS THOUGH IT HAS.

I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY CLICKING, BUT BOY AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.....HE IS EXHAUSTED, THOUGH....IS AWAKE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES AND THEN NODS RIGHT OFF AND SLEEPS FOR ABOUT 20. HE SAYS HE WANTS TO WATCH THE BASEBALL GAME TONIGHT, BUT I DOUBT THAT HE'LL WATCH MUCH OF IT.

WALTER.....BELIEVE ME, I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU IN AUGUST WHEN YOU GO IN.

YOU HAVE ALL TAUGHT ME AN INVALUABLE LESSON.....I WILL USE IT WELL. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN AND AGAIN......WELL, IT'S 9 P.M. IN NY AND I'M GOING DIRECTLY TO BED.....WILL TOUCH BASE WITH YOU ALL SOMETIME TOMORROW.

EVELYN

Excellent!

Excellent!

Great to hear about Tyce's progress. Once he gets those tubes out, he'll feel lots better. Thanks for the update, Evelyn!

hi evelyn!
thanks so much for the update on tyce. i'm so glad to hear he's doing so well. please try and rest in between when you can too.
it will get easier with each day, you'll see.
i'm so happy for you that the worst is over.
stay well and best wishes to you both, sylvia

Outstanding!
He should be feeling pretty good real soon. Of course, he'll be dopey for a while, but it sounds as though things are moving right along as they should.

See ya next post. ;)

Huge transition since your first post!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like things are progressing well. 2500 on the IS is super! Best wishes for a fast and uneventful recovery.
--John

that's great evelyn! I'm glad Tyce is doing well. I always enjoy hearing about people doing great after they have they're surgeries. It brings a smile to my face!

Hello All

Thought I would give you the latest update.....Tyce is doing very well. The catheter and chest tube came out yesterday, and BOY was he HAPPY!!! He said he didn't mind the catheter....saved him many steps to the bathroom.....but the chest tube was a killer. He brushed his teeth, shaved, washed up and then promptly took a nap in his chair.

He definitely has been sleeping ALOT!. He nods off mid sentence sometimes, and has also fallen asleep with his eyes open, kind of like a narcolepsy. Everyone says it's perfectly normal. I'm glad he's getting the rest, he truly needs it. He did have some atrial flutter yesterday, but the cardio said it was absolutely normal considering that the heart has been through so much and was so irritated. When I spoke with him last night, though, the nurse had told him that he was fine on the monitor.

He had started walking with all his tubes in on Thursday.....once up and down the hallway, but yesterday he walked 280ft. 3 times during the day.....that DEFINITELY knocked him out!

He doesn't have any appetite, which I guess is normal for many, but not for him. He usually has a great appetite. While he's on a cardiac diet and the food really doesn't have much taste to it, I still wish he would eat a bit better. I've offered to bring him lunch and/or dinner, but he says he's not up to eating. Hopefully that will be getting better with each passing day.

As for me, well, I think I've been on a whirlwind. The drive to the hospital is about 1 1/2 hours each way, and between that, taking care of the dogs, house, etc., I'm exhausted. I usually get home about 7:30 or 8..I try to leave the hospital about 6 to hopefully miss rush hour traffic on the Long Island Expressway, but don't always succeed. At night I just crash!!! Can't wait for him to be home full time, the drive is a killer.....I don't know how people commute into NYC full time!! Anyway, in the scheme of what's happened, that's the least important of my priorities.

Again, my thanks for all your support. I printed out all your messages yesterday and brought them to Tyce to read. He can read for short periods, but that's about all.

I will keep you all updated as we progress. I can't wait till he comes home.......Evelyn

Don't worry about his appetite. I'll come back soon. Concentrate on him getting well enough to be discharged and things will slowly fall back into place. ;)

Hello Evelyn,

Glad to hear everything is progressing so smoothly for Tyce.
I'm ENVIOUS !

My veterinarian offered FREE boarding for our dogs during my 8 day hospital stay which was a relief. I went to a well known hospital 100 miles from my home for this surgery. They had efficiency appartments for $50 a night ($25 a night for 7 days or more) which saved a lot of drive time for my family. Recliners in the room could also be used by family if desired.

This time (2nd heart surgery), my appetite was fine. I DEVOURED my first hospital meal and thought it was delicous!

My sister came to assist during my hospital stay and my brother came to assist for my first week at home. The surgeon recommended 24 hour assistance for the first two weeks at home.

Be sure to take care of YOURSELF a little during Tyce's recovery. It'll help you to 'stay the course' better.

Best wishes, 'AL'

HI Evelyn-

Everything you're mentioning about Tyce is normal for this kind of surgery. Removing the tubes helps tremendously. It's a great relief. Lack of appetite is par for the course and it will take some time for it to go back to normal. You will find that he might lose some weight during the healing period, muscle tone also. When he gets home, you can take some cues from him about what would taste good. The body uses a lot of calories during the healing process, and sometimes, the lack of appetite just doesn't keep up with the needs of the body. It'll all even out after a couple of months.

People have all kinds of altering in taste. Some foods taste too sweet, too salty, too blah, or just not good. But it will gradually come back.

Napping will go on for a long time. Maybe you could catch some winks also. I know how exhausting it is to be the caretaker. Gotta keep your strength up!

Glad to hear things are on course.

HI Evelyn and Tyce!

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well with you!! It sounds like he's doing really well, with the walking and everything. I wouldn't worry about the lack of appetite - that happened to me in the hospital too, I think it was related to the anesthesia. And the naps, yes, it's a good thing, get used to it! I am almost 10 weeks out and still crash out for naps whenever I can! But I am thrilled to hear that everything went well, here's to many years of good health ahead for you both!! And YOU take care of YOURSELF, too. Get your rest, and don't stress about the housework and such. There'll be plenty of time for that later. You're in Survival Mode now, the object is to get through the day, the non-urgent stuff can WAIT. Call on your friends to help when you need too, that's what friends are for. :)

Best wishes and prayers! Welcome to the "other side", Tyce! I'll be looking for more updates on how you're doing!

-JEnnie

HELLO GOOD FRIENDS......ALL IS WELL HERE. TYCE IS DOING VERY WELL, THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO GET HIS COUMADIN LEVEL UP....IT WAS 1.5 LAST NIGHT/THIS MORNING....IF ALL GOES WELL, HE MIGHT BE HOME TOMORROW, IF NOT, THEN MONDAY.

HE WAS MUCH BETTER TODAY, AWAKE AND FUNCTIONING AND IN MUCH LESS PAIN. ACTUALLY, HE WENT 6/ 1/2 HOURS WITHOUT A PAIN PILL. I TOLD HIM TO TAKE ONE THIS EVENING, JUST IN CASE, AND IT WILL MAKE HIM SLEEP MUCH BETTER. WHEN I LAST SPOKE WITH HIM, HE WAS WAITING FOR THE PA TO REMOVE HIS PACING WIRES.....HE'S BEEN WAITING ALL DAY FOR THAT, BUT THEY HAVEN'T GOTTEN THERE YET. HE IS IN NORMAL SINUS RHYTHM AND HIS MONITOR LOOKS BETTER THAN IT HAS IN MONTHS!!!

I WAS THERE FROM 1-3:30 TODAY....DURING THAT TIME HE WALKED TWICE AND BREATHED 2500 ON HIS IS......I'M SO PROUD OF HIM, HE'S DOING SO VERY WELL, EVEN HIS SURGEON AND CARDIO ARE IMPRESSED.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT.....AND ROSS, YOU ARE DEFINITELY RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY WHAT A DIFFERENCE SINCE MY FIRST POST......WALTER, I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU IN AUGUST.....MY HUSBAND IS PROOF THAT IT CAN BE DONE, AS IS EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS LIST. NANCY, YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY REALITY BASED AND I TAKE MUCH COMFORT IN YOUR WORDS.

ON MY WAY HOME TODAY, I STOPPED AND BOUGHT A SNUGGLE ROLL FROM WALMART AND THREE ADDITIONAL PILLOWS/ THANK YOU, JOHN C.....MY GAME PLAN IS TO PACK HIM IN PILLOWS AS HE COMES HOME, SO NOTHING CAN HAPPEN TO HIM. DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S FEASIBLE OR NOT, BUT WE CAN ALWAYS USE THE EXTRAS. JOY, SYLVIA, JOHNNY, JOHN, AL,MARYBETH, JENNIE, ET. AL, YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WONDERFUL SOURCES ON INSIPIRATION FOR US BOTH===I CAN NEVER FORGET YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID
THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST WONDERFUL LIST, AND AS I'VE SAID BEFORE, YOU ARE ALL MY ANGELS.....

WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

EVELYN

Evelyn,

I am not sure if you will get two posts from me today but my computer decided to skip a beat a few minutes ago while I was replying and I lost what I started. Oh well let me start again.

Just wanted to say I am so happy to hear that all is going so well. I also wanted to say thanks for thinking of me while you are going through so much.

I have been sharing your story with my wife Linda and it is really helping her. When I begin to feel sorry for myself, I have to stop and think what this whole event does to ones wife, husband and children who have to sit by and wait for me to be OK.

I am also sure the uncertanity, associated with this kind of surgery and recovery, is as hard on her as it is on me, maybe even harder. Your sharing of the events you went through really helps her cope and reduce her fears.

It has been a pleasure and an honor to share this very important point in your life with you.

Thanks and continued good luck,

Walter

Pending AVR in Aug:)

Hi Evelyn,

Glad to hear Tyce is doing so well, Congratulations on a successful surgery...He'll be up and about in no time. I wish him all the best for a continued speedy and uneventful recovery. I have to say I feel for you and the traffic on the LIE, I had my surgery at NY Presbyterian and know what a pain the LIE is at rush hour. With all the potholes, make sure he has his heart pillow on the ride home, it sure came in handy for me. Please keep us posted. Take care!

Happy for your Hubby

Happy for your Hubby

Hi Evelyn, Glad to hear your Hubby is doing o.k...I remember a neighbor brought me several different kinds of juices...(the kind that come in).. the cartons..We kept them cold..boy did they taste good..glasses and glasses of them the first few days I was home..Let your Hubby decide what he feels like eating..I think I just wanted toast, sandwich, to start with....Tell him to continue walking..so good to rid nasty stuff out of his system.a cane helps if you have one . Good luck..Bonnie

hi evelyn!
i was so happy to read that tyce is recovering nicely. it will probably be so much easier (and harder in a sense) for you when he comes home. my family lives out on l.i. and i grew up there, so i can totally relate to your frustration with the lie.
as nancy said, please try and take naps when you can; you need your strength if you are going to be able to help tyce and care for him (and the dogs and the house, etc).
mara gave us a great suggestion when joey wouldn't eat much (he, too, usually has a wonderful appetite)_ ice pops. he managed to eat some in the beginning and then we moved onto soups, etc.
please let us know how things go. all the best to you both, sylvia

Hi Evelyn, I am glad to hear that Tyce is doing well. I had my surgery in Seattle and as everybody knows, Seattle is kown to have the worst traffic in the country. The I-5 parking lot, as I call it! I remember when I came home from having my surgery, I wanted to lift and have life as it was before...lifting my baby, but it was out of my weight limit, so I couldn't. KEEP THE PILLOWS AVAILABLE! Tell Tyce that we are all thinking of him!

HE'S HOME

HE'S HOME

Quick update......Tyce came home yesterday, what a thrill. He made the car ride fine, a little nausea, but that passed. The pillow worked perfectly and he hugged it all the way on the Long Island Distressway, as we here on the island call it. Once he got settled, I left him in the recliner and went grocery shopping, something I hadn't gotten around to doing. He said he had a nice nap, we walked around the house 2 times, he had a glass of wine, a turkey sandwich and we were both in bed by 6:30.

I got up a few times during the night to check on him, as he is sleeping in the spare bedroom because of the dogs (we sleep with 4 in bed, yes I know we're crazy) because the little one will just jump up from the ground and land on his chest.....I DON'T THINK SO!!! Actually, I just wanted to make sure he was breathing! He said he got up this morning about 4, went to the bathroom and then went right back to bed. He's sleeping now as I write and that's good.

I'm just very very glad to have him home. His Coumadin level was only 2.16 when they released him, but said it was definitely coming up and he could do that at home. Today I make an appointment with our cardio for tomorrow for another PT/INR to see how much it has come up and if they want to adjust his level. The hospital cardio said with valve replacements they like to keep it between 2.5 and 3.5, so we'll see if it's there tomorrow.

I'm going back to bed in a bit, but I just can't wait to sit and have a cup of decaf with him at home----what a thrill!! Will keep you informed of his progress.

By the way, they sent him home with no pain pills, only Tylenol when needed. He took 2 last night before bed, just in case he had some chest pain, but seems fine. We've begun taking temps once a day just to make sure all is well. I guess he'll take a shower today and wants to get an electric razor, which is a-ok with me and alot safer for him.

I will chat with you all soon. Maybe today he can get on the computer if he feels up to it......I would like you all to meet him.

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back