Two Weeks Post Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

A New Beginning

well, this has definately been a roller coaster of a ride. Not being able to to sleep, not wanting to eat. My doctor actually classified me as having anorexia. (i am not that small) this made me laugh a bit, but he said by me not eating they have to classify me as having this disorder so that i can be monitored.

I have not wanted to eat or look at my scare. I still have staples in my chest which i am not looking forward to getting out because I am scared they are going to hurt. (anyone know how that feels?)

When are the emotions going to sustain because this is SOOOOO hard.

Aja
MVR 7-11-08

It gets a little better every day.....I did not have staples with my OHS but I have had them before....it's not that bad.....you will want to eat again soon and you will wear your scar with pride:)

Wow, staples! I haven't heart of those for open heart surgery.

You have my total sympathy about having trouble sleeping. I am four weeks out and I hate waking up because I wake up so stiff and sore. Sometimes I get super-tired all at once and crash, and other times I just can't sleep.

When I was two weeks out sometimes I was hungry and sometimes I had absolutely no desire to eat.

Aja, I am also thin and everyone was forcing me to eat more, I refused because of feeling barfy, but I did my best to eat small amounts of good foods often.
My scar had staples and I could not look at it; the removal of them was not bad, but I made the nurse stop every couple of minutes so that I could breathe and calm down.
Once they were out, I could deal with my wound fears better.
I still have wires protruding a bit about halfway down, I can't touch that area.
I am a wimp!! Wait, I'm not a wimp, I pick up frogs and salamanders and worms....LOL

I have heard about the wires. I have not looked or felt around the area to see those.

I agree pony girl mom i get so stiff and just uncomfortable.

Bina: i am soo scared about the staple removal. myhusband will be with me and he handles pain well, so it will be interesting. He is understanding, but does not understand when it comes to understanding how much more pain this is than normal.

I told him today that if we were able to have more children, i would do it witout drugs because it would be much easier than having heart surgery.

:p

aja

I didn't have staples with either of my OHS but our nephew did. He said he felt so much better when they were removed. He felt very stiff and sore while they were in.

Sending you the very best wishes they come out easily and don't cause you too much discomfort.
Hope you feel very much more comfortable very soon.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Hang in there. It gets better...I promise!!!!! In a few weeks, you'll look back and smile at the whole ordeal. Not sleeping is definitely normal. I couldn't sleep comfortably, so I woke up alot. I slept in my recliner for the first couple of weeks. I also didn't eat that much. I didn't have much of an appetite and nothing taste good. It took a couple of months for some foods to start tasting somewhat normal again. Again, it gets better...I promise! I didn't have staples, so I can't relate.

Keep us updated and keep your spirits up!

Two weeks is not a long time to recovery from such an invasive trauma. I didn't have staples so cannot comment specifically on that. All I can say is that it gets better over time. Hang in there! Best wishes and good luck.

Like the others have said...I'm sure you wilbe feeling much better once the staples are gone. You might like to try one of our favourites here a "heating pad"...I know you cant really put it on your chest but it may help you losen up if its on your back or shoulders.
I too had a total lack of appetite for a good 6-8 weeks after OHS. I was even having to take anti nausea meds because the thought of food made me feel sick as well as the lack of food. It was totally frustrating...I have since made up for that and piled back on all the wieght I lost plus some extra.

I didn't have staples. Do you still have some of your pain meds? If so and husband is driving, take it before you go to help with any pain you may experience.

Just a week ahead of you!

Just a week ahead of you!

Aja, I am three weeks out today! :D I know how you feel. I didn't have staples with my OHS but I have had them before too. The removal is really not a big deal as I remember.:eek: Food still doesn't appeal to me much. Also, a good thing for me, SUGAR does NOTHING for me! No candy, ice cream, NOTHING!:eek:I can eat spicy foods. Hot sauce makes it all good. Try TACO BELL with Fire sauce. At 10 days out I wrote that I was TOO easily winded and EVERYTHING hurt and so on and so on. At 14 days,the change was amazing! Still have some bad days and I have had better sleep. I still get cranky fairly easy and still use the Darvocet to get to sleep. I have developed some new aches but for the most part I feel great! Just give it time! You have plenty of it. Oh yea, take naps when you get tired! Relax and try to enjoy this FORCED vacation.;)

I have not had OHS, but i had staples for my c-section and more recently for an ankle surgery. they were not bad to get out, in fact I took the ones out of my ankle myself (the doc knew that I would not come back for that so he gave me the tool to remove them).

congratulations on getting over the mountain. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you.

Back