Two down and many more to go!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin1981

Greetings fellow valvites! First off I’m slightly ashamed of being absent from this forum after a very successful recovery, but at the same time I’m out in the world enjoying all the life and adventure I can find my way into.

Two years ago about this time I was having a lot of trouble sleeping, knowing I was heading into an incredibly intimidating surgery at 6am. Armed with the knowledge and confidence that I gained from the incredibly helpful and patient members of this forum I was rolled into OR 13 of all places knowing what to expect and how the next few days were likely to play out. I was very fortunate to not have any complications and the anticoagulation therapy required by my mechanical valve ended up being a minor annoyance at best.

In the past two years I’ve continued to enjoy my early 30’s. Getting scuba certified, venturing to far away places, participating in 5k obstacles courses, kayaking, blacksmithing, full contact sports, enjoying occasional alcohol, and exercising at a far higher level than I was prior to surgery.

To those of you that face this daunting surgery, I offer a few bits of humble advice. I’ll tell you to trust and take advice to the wonderful community on this forum. Educate yourself, but don’t terrify yourself. Have faith in your providers and technology, but do your own research and feel comfortable with your treatment plan. Lastly, while mechanical valves aren’t for everyone don’t shun away from them for fear of anti coag treatment. On-x (which I have) was recently FDA approved to lower their PT-INR ranges for future and existing patients with this type of valve which shows a very welcomed progression. However, I’ll tell you that I’ve beaten the hell out of myself (after fully healing) and have had minimal signs of bruising and only a handful of short bleeds from cuts.

I understand this luxury will lesson over time, but you gotta play the cards you’re dealt and in my mind it surely beats the certainty of having to go through that surgery multiple times:)

I look forward to celebrating my Valvesary later today and want to thank you all for your continued support to others like me. I’m also going to try to be more active on this forum moving forward so hopefully I’ll see some of you around!

Justin

Justin, it is truly great to hear about how fully you are living your life. It really does make a difference when those still in The Waiting Room hear of how members like you are getting back to bigger than normal lives after surgery. I applaud all of your accomplishments - the physical and the emotional ones as well. You have shown that it is really possible to have valve replacement surgery and then just get back to life as you want to live it.

We have a lot of older members, and they are a very close and supportive group. The younger members like you should also be able to find success stories here, so that the new folks can overcome their fears and get on with their own lives. We used to have more younger members, but as you know, life often takes over and we drift in different directions.

Thank you for coming back to share your successes with us. You are always welcome here.

Justin1981;n857106 said:
To those of you that face this daunting surgery, I offer a few bits of humble advice. I’ll tell you to trust and take advice to the wonderful community on this forum. Educate yourself, but don’t terrify yourself. Have faith in your providers and technology, but do your own research and feel comfortable with your treatment plan. Lastly, while mechanical valves aren’t for everyone don’t shun away from them for fear of anti coag treatment. On-x (which I have) was recently FDA approved to lower their PT-INR ranges for future and existing patients with this type of valve which shows a very welcomed progression. However, I’ll tell you that I’ve beaten the hell out of myself (after fully healing) and have had minimal signs of bruising and only a handful of short bleeds from cuts.

I understand this luxury will lesson over time, but you gotta play the cards you’re dealt and in my mind it surely beats the certainty of having to go through that surgery multiple times:)

Justin

Hi Justin and thanks for your positive post. Your "luxury of living an active life will lessen some over time".....but, if a few simple life rules are followed, it won't be the valve that slows you down.....momma nature will do that. I have, pretty much, completed your "many more to go" and still look forward to a few more good years. You are correct in saying that this forum is a God Send for new folks still waiting their turn. Knowledge and support are the major keys to successful pre and post living with a mechanical valve.

Last edited:
Scuba diving? I was told that was the one thing I couldn't do! Interesting. I'm enjoying my On-X and lower INR also. My life has changed drastically since surgery - more active, more energy, some even say I'm a nicer person now. Certainly more patient. Thanks for sharing your story!
-Meredith

Congratulatins on your new life and thanks for coming back and providing an update. I really appreciate your advice to those of us awaiting surgery. I see the surgeon on Monday 8/3 and should get a date at that time. Everyone on this forum has been incredibly helpful.

MrsBray;n857131 said:
Scuba diving? I was told that was the one thing I couldn't do! Interesting. I'm enjoying my On-X and lower INR also. My life has changed drastically since surgery - more active, more energy, some even say I'm a nicer person now. Certainly more patient. Thanks for sharing your story!
-Meredith

I was pleasantly surprised as well, but they cleared me for it and i've been on 7 dives so far. Many more of those to come also:)

honeybunny;n857144 said:
Congratulatins on your new life and thanks for coming back and providing an update. I really appreciate your advice to those of us awaiting surgery. I see the surgeon on Monday 8/3 and should get a date at that time. Everyone on this forum has been incredibly helpful.

Best of luck to you but you'll do just fine. The good news is after you get our date most people (including myself) feel relieved. All you have to do is show up with a good attitude and they'll take care of the rest.

Justin, Great to hear your story. I am sure it is inspiring to a lot of folks on this forum. BTW for those of you who want to continue being active, check out the Twin Cities 10M and marathon sponsored by Medtronic held every October in Minneapolis-St.Paul. As a valve recipient, you can enter to win an all expenses paid trip for you and your spouse to this race. I was lucky to be selected for the 2013 event and had a blast participating in the weekend activities and completing a 10M run 2 years post-surgery.

Justin: Thank you for your encouraging words. I am going in next Tuesday morning (8/11) and will come out with an ON-X valve and a repaired ascending aorta. My biggest worry has not been the surgery, but the prospect of life after on warfarin. I am very active, have small children, and fear that my life will be less active due to the bleeding risk, testing, and dietary changes. That written, it is nice to read a younger person's account of post-surgical life, unaffected by the fears I have of warfarin.

Happy Valversary! Great post Justin-- You set a great example for others and your positive message that you can lead a very active life after AVR surgery/with anticoagulation is such an important one!
The only sport I chose to give up after being started on warfarin was Downhill skiing. But, I have so ENJOYED learning how to snowshoe--so haven't missed the downhill one bit! Life is not a spectator sport.....

Hi there

Really glad to hear you are recovering and going and getting it.

I guess one could say that you "grok it" now :)

I have a question though ...
Justin1981;n857106 said:
...However, I’ll tell you that I’ve beaten the hell out of myself (after fully healing) and have had minimal signs of bruising and only a handful of short bleeds from cuts.

I understand this luxury will lesson over time, but you gotta play the cards you’re dealt ...

I'm unsure if you mean that over time warfarin will make you bleed more or if just over time as you age naturally you can't beat yourself up as much. My Dad was a rough old salt who in his younger daze worked in forestry as a logger in Tasmania and as a whaler with the Norwegians. While he remained strong and cranky till his cancer got him he did bruise more easily and scrape skin off more easily as he aged. This was just a factor of him being older not any drugs. He wasn't on warfarin ever. To my mind as we age we need to "grok" that reality too and listen to our bodies.

Next year I hope to be backpacking around Ireland and am planning a ski / sled towing trip to the very north of Sweden around a mountain in Abisco national park.

koivusuoTowingSled.jpg

Just because I want to and just because I believe that it is not warfarin that sets our limits.

You'd be welcome to join me, but give me a break if I'm falling behind, cos at 52 I'm not 32 anymore

Best wishes and as Spock says "Live long and prosper!"

Latest posts

Back