trying to get in shape for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Swill

I had a murmur discovered back in '83, and for many years was told that it was an 'innocent' murmrur.

Fast forward several years to 5 years ago, when I was turned down for life insurance at my new job because I had a bad heart. I argued and agreed to have a cardiologist look at it. This was when I found out that my Aortic valve was leaking. I was told that I would need it replaced in the near future, but it has maintained itself for the most part. I've been told that because my blood pressure tends to stay low, the damage to the heart progressed slowly.

Anyway, it now looks like the time is getting closer. I'm going in for a Trans Esophogeal Echocardiogram (TEE) very soon so the cardiologist can take a better look at the valve.

My question for the group is, what can I do in the meantime to prepare my body for the surgery, the recovery, and the lifestyle changes that will come with having a mech valve (most likely). I've joined Weight Watchers and have lost 25 pounds, with another 20 or so to go. I've read that with Coumadin I'll need to watch what I eat and drink, so maybe if I start that sort of regimin now it won't be that hard to adapt after the surgery. I'm trying to get to the gym at lunch twice a week, but that doesn't always happen.

For those of you who have been through this, what do you think would have helped you prepare better for your surgery?

One thing I have to figure out is what to do with our cats. We have 6 of them (and 2 dogs), and our 18 pound cat loves to sleep on my chest. I guess that will have to stop while I am recovering.

Forgive me for the long message. I've got many questions, and not many answers yet. You're sure to hear more from me as time goes on.

Cheers,

Swill

Welcome to the forums Swill. You'll find everyone more then willing to go the extra mile WITH you throughout the processes.

What can you do to prepare for surgery? It sounds like your already doing what should be done. You seem to be physically fit at this point, so I wouldn't anticipate problems.

Coumadin-Not a big deal. The key with Coumadin is to be consistent in the foods you eat. Watch your intake of things that contain Vitamin K. Vit K will lower your INR, which in my case, isn't a bad thing because I tend to run high anyway. If you drink alcohol, you'll have to cut back on it to perhaps 2 drinks instead of a full blown party. When your started on the Coumadin, you should receive literature arming you with almost everything you need to know. If not, we have a member who is a pharmacist and runs a coumadin clinic, Al Lodwick. You can check out his site at www.warfarinfo.com There is tons of information there and what you don't find, just post in the coumadin forum and he'll reply to you when he has a chance.

It's much easier to establish a consistent diet and then adjust the coumadin to fit your dietary needs. I hope that makes sense. I just read your other post about Garlic. I hope what I said above lets you know that you can eat just about anything. Consistency is the key. Never let anyone tell you that you can't have something that you like. Eat what you like and adjustments to your coumadin can be made if necessary. Simply maintain a routine.

Lifestyle changes-Very few. You'll want to not be a football player, sword fighter, or things that can bring about injuries of the bleeding nature. Common sense on this one.

The cats and dogs-Animals have a keen sense when something isn't right with their human. Your big chest kitty may not sleep on you for awhile. I wouldn't worry too much about them. They are a welcome and needed part of recovery in my opinion.

As time grows closer, we can offer many more tips. Until then, this should give you an idea. Browse around the forums and read everything that you can that you think would be a question you'd ask. It's probably already been answered already. If not, ask away, we'll help you out. Let us know what the results are of the TEE.

Again, welcome to the VR family! :)

Last edited:
Welcome, Swill - this is the best site you can find for personal experiences with valve replacement. Best of luck in your surgery. Please keep us posted on your progress to the mountain. God bless

Hi Swill,

Ross did a good job of covering the important points.

I kept going to the gym until about two-three weeks before my surgery. In hindsight, I probably did too much for too long and ended up with some enlargement of my left vertricle, as it compensated for my bad valve. I would definitely discuss your exercise program with your doctor - you'll have plenty of time to get back in shape after your surgery.

Taking Coumadin has not been a problem at all for me. I am still very active in sports and like to bust my knuckles working on my cars. When cut, I bleed a little more than I used to, but not enough to notice most of the time.

There are a lot a good people on this site with tons of knowledge.
Welcome and good luck.

Mark

Pre-Surgery

Pre-Surgery

Hi Swill,
I tried Yoga, Meditation, Walking, walking & more walking, and Cruising, and Traveling.
Worked for me.
Best wishes,
Don
AVR; MI; 4/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Thanks for the support!

Thanks for the support!

Thanks for your input! I still have lots to do and think about, but I think I am coming to grips with the Coumadin thing. I started thinking about it, and remembered that years ago I had a mild thrombosis event that was taken care of with very large doses of Motrin. But within a month my father and both of his brothers also had thrombosis events. Our family comes from an area of Holland that has a genetic pre-disposition to clotting, although tests for that gene in me have proved negative. So the mechanical option might not be a bad idea for me, given that I might have to be on blood thinners anyway at some point in the future.

I like the idea of adjusting the medicine to the diet, rather than the other way around. I am a lot more concious of my diet thanks to Weight Watchers. I've really enjoyed my large salads at lunchtime, and would hate to give them up. I found a list of Vitamin K foods at www.coumadin.com and I'll take a look and see what I have to be concerned with. I found Beer on the list but not Garlic...

I'll have to be a little careful with one of my hobbies, however. Both my wife and I work in stained glass, and it dawned on me that I need to be a lot more careful around those sharp shards of glass in the future. I'll also set the kitties down and have a heart-to-heart with them about staying off me when I am recovering.

I'll be around. I'll let you know how my TEE turns out, and what the cardiologist says after my next appointment. I'm starting to accept the fact that pretty soon I'll be moving from the pre-surgery to post-surgery forums...

Cheers!

Swill

Hi Swill

Robthatsme told me of a great thing for us folk that like to work on stuff that can produce cuts-Kevlar Gloves or cut resistant gloves. I fully intend to use them when dealing with my car, so you may want to check into them for the glass work. Here's a link Rob gave me. Hope it helps.

http://www.oregonglove.com/content/017_cut_res.asp

Kevlar -- Not just for cops!

Kevlar -- Not just for cops!

You guys hit the nail on the head. I work for a metal stamping company -- products are made from ribbons of steel, brass, etc., which all have sharp edges. As a company policy, we require that ALL employees who handle the metal wear kevlar gloves. They aren't that expensive (company buys them) and they more than pay for themselves in reduced injuries. Kind of like safety glasses, but for your hands.

SteveE

Kevlar Gloves- Thanks!

Kevlar Gloves- Thanks!

I hadn't though of that. What a great idea!

I'll see if I can buy them locally. I went to order a sigle pair of the mediumweight ones for $4.99, and shipping and handling cost $6.50.

Might not be bad to buy a few and split the cost, however...

Thanks, Ross!

Latest posts

Back