Trouble with weight loss after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieann

Hi all! Just curious...has anyone had trouble losing weight after surgery?

I had surgery about 3.5 months ago. In the 8 months leading up to surgery where I was not allowed to get my HR up and in the time before I started cardiac rehab after surgery (6 weeks) I gained about 10 lbs. I am now active and exercising again, tracking all my food and doing everything that has allowed me to lose several lbs in the past, no problem. But the scale has not budged in the past 3 weeks.

Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if surgery put something out of whack with my metabolism or hormones or something but really have no clue. I've never experienced NO results from a healthy diet and exercise before! I know that muscle weighs more than fat but my clothes are also still fitting the same (too tight haha).

Yes....:( I hated the fact that I went to cardiac rehab 3X a week and never lost any weight, then I hated the fact that I exercised all summer and never lost any weight. Then my doctor took me off metoprolol. I went swimming 4x a week and dropped about 20 lbs in 4 months, it was great!

Then the holidays came, I changed jobs, and the pool was 20 minutes out of the way, so I've gained all 20 plus some back in about 8 months. I would suggest to continue being as active as you can, unless there's a possibility its fluid retention. Either way, mention it to your doctor or coumidin nurse.

I look forward to hearing what you find out!

-Meredith

Yeah, I know that experience as well. It's so frustrating to be active, track food, and be mindful but not be able to move that scale. I'd also advocate for bringing it up to your care team.

Some of it, possibility, could also be a stress response. The whole experience and the year after can be a bit much, which doesn't help with weight loss. Keep up the diligent work.

Back