Travelling for Studies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello Beautiful people,

I am a 23 YO male. Would be going under the knives next month mostly to replace my AV. I was born with a funny thing called BAV. :p I am planning to go ahead with a mechanical valve, talking to the doc about the ON-X. India where i am from doesn't have a lot of hospitals using ON-X. Now my main question is June i have the surgery and Dec i plan to fly to the states to complete my Master's. Is travelling and living in the states 5-6 months post surgery easy and feasible? would my INR be a problem. Any suggestions, cautions, opinions or just like anything you ll would like to tell me? I will be staying there for another year to complete my education? would it be a problem? Appreciate your replies. Loads of love to the awesome hearts. Keep ticking and keep rocking.

Amy R

Amy my major concern would be can you get medical insurance that will cover your stay in the US with a pre existing medical condition. You wouldn't want treatment for any heart related pre existing condition in the US unless your insurance covered it or you may find your masters related expenses minor compared to the medical bill.

Wishing you a very successful surgery. I do not see travel as in issue for you.
Look into purchasing your own INR testing unit. You can take this with you, and test as often as you want.
This would eliminate the need to frequent blood labs on a regular basis.
Also, I would recommend that you find a good local cardiologist in the geographic area of your studies. This way, you will have a local doctor, than can prescribe refills for you as needed, and also be a resource to use in the event you are not feeling well, and for your annual cardiac exam.

I traveled back and forth to Europe for years on my job trouble-free. I did have my own home testing unit with me. It is small and easy to pack.

Rob

Traveling should not be a problem. I drove across the US 6 months after my replacement. I had no problems, but my INR changed a bit, thus I would also recommend getting a home testing monitor so you can check it yourself.

Some people are worried about blood clots for long periods of sitting. That shouldn't be a problem if you are on warfarin, but it would probably be prudent to get up about once an hour and move around a bit.

Thank you so much. I would pick up the home testing machine. Finding a good cardiologist is sure a good idea and i would get onto that work ROB.:) Oldmanemu i was giving it a thought but unable to find an insurance that covers preexisting conditions. :( those ER bills i guess are a bigger fear than my OHS :p

Tom and Jim thanks for those advices. I will keep those points in my head. and especially with the fact that i hate flying it is rare that i sit for more that 2 hrs :p the washroom the next cabin a stroll around the flight looking for some friendship is necessary. :p

Thanks once again. :)

Latest posts

Back