travel to india

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babshappy

Hi everyone I'm sooo glad I found this site I have a question
about traveling to India in dec of this year...I will be there in and around delhi for about 2 weeks and im very nervous or anxious about what to eat while Im there, I eat a salad of greens or something green everyday ...does anyone have any suggestions about eating to keep my vitamin k intake the same??? i have my own coaguchek machine that I just bought and will be taking it with me...i havent quite learned how to use it properly I still go to lab for inr testing any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I'm also anti-coagulated, and a steady eater of greens. I just returned from 3 weeks in Vietnam, and followed that with a week long road trip from California to Toronto. I can tell you that it was a heck of a lot easier to find greens in Vietnam than in the Southwestern and central United States! Indian cuisine uses a fair bit of spinach (though cooked down pretty hard, so not quite as chock full of 'K'. I'd bet that at any meal you'll find a good selection of things with relatively plentiful K ; cauliflower, scallions, peas, chick peas, asparagus, green/herbal teas, coffee, soybean, spinach, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, and parsley at least (in no particular order).

Learn to use that meter, and test a couple of times during your trip, more if you were badly out of range.

Also, give some thought to the time change between Van and Delhi. (12.5 hours?) If you're an evening doser, you could dose in the morning or vice versa. I personally find that I can only remember to take my warfarin if it's the last thing I do every day. That means that I need to shift my dose when I advance or regress in time. I usually do it in two or three steps, for the sake of consistency, when it's a 12 hour or so time difference.

Enjoy your trip (I'm very jealous!)

I would concentrate on learning how to manage your own warfarin with your coaguchek machine, and you should feel comfortable come December. If you are only going for 3 weeks, you should be fine, and you can check yourself weekly and adjust your dose as necessary once you are there. I doubt you will need much change, but you never know when your schedule gets totally mixed up! That's one of the reasons I really like the coagucheck and self-montoring/dosing. We don't nees to worry too much about where we go, and can change the dose and test if things seem a little wonky (too much bruising/nose bleeds).

I would concentrate on learning how to manage your own warfarin with your coaguchek machine, and you should feel comfortable come December. If you are only going for 3 weeks, you should be fine, and you can check yourself weekly and adjust your dose as necessary once you are there. I doubt you will need much change, but you never know when your schedule gets totally mixed up! That's one of the reasons I really like the coagucheck and self-montoring/dosing. We don't nees to worry too much about where we go, and can change the dose and test if things seem a little wonky (too much bruising/nose bleeds).

WELCOME to a fellow Canadian only thing I could add would be to know where internet is available and if you need to ask questions here .....while no one here is a Doctor there are members (dick0236) wh have been at this for over fourty years

Be Careful about Food and Water
Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Follow these tips for safe eating and drinking:

•Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel (with at least 60% alcohol).
•Drink only bottled or boiled water, or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in cans or bottles. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes. If this is not possible, learn how to make water safer to drink.
Do not eat food purchased from street vendors.
•Make sure food is fully cooked.
•Avoid dairy products, unless you know they have been pasteurized.
Diseases from food and water often cause vomiting and diarrhea. Make sure to bring diarrhea medicine with you so that you can treat mild cases yourself.

Carry CIPRO, an antibiotic, with you. It may come in handy! Consult your doctor and find out if he/she advises you to take one tablet daily as a preventive measure.

Before visiting India, you may need to get the following vaccinations:

Typhoid, Cholera, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Malaria​

Happy journey!

Hope you enjoy your trip to India
I lived in India for the last couple of years before I retired in 2010 (my office was in Kuala Lumpur but i worked almost full time in India for 2 years). It is my favorite country on the planet after the USA. That said I would be far more concerned about sanitary conditions than greens. Although I ate mostly a vegetarian diet there, and mostly 4 or 5 star restaurants or hotels, not once did I attempt raw veggies. The sickest I have ever been was from the waiters handling the food in a 5 star restaurant, it lasted for about a month. The restaurant did not provide washing facilities for the waiters. We had a meaningfull discussion in Hindi about the waiters bathroom habits and I pretty much stuck to non handled foods, like boiled eggs, if I could not see the entire process.
Even in open air restaurants like Karims, near the mosque in Old Delhi, which you should try, it does not look overly sanitary but you see everything and the food is hot enough to kill anything on the planet. I ate out a lot in Calcutta, Delhi, Mumbai, as well as numerous rural locations in Northern India, and Assam and only had one problem.
If I felt I had to have greens I would take my own veggie sanitizer and make them use it. That does not help with sanitary conditions on the farms.

this is a very timely discussion. I'm going to Delhi in July. (yeah....I know, I know....bad timing) I'm going to see my PCP to get some advice on pre-flying advice. I read somewhere that acidophilus pills are a good idea. I'm not on blood thinners but am a little concerned about the food issue.

Back