Todayshow Interview With John Ritter's Widow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thenewmarket

This morning Meredith interviewed John Ritter's widow about her upcoming lawsuit concerning his death. She is suing for 67 million and she stated her intention was to start the John Ritter Foundation focusing on aortic disease. I cried as I watched her interview because IF my husband's internist hadn't done a routine chest x-ray.........I fear this is the path I would have walked.

Very informative and humbling interview.

As I watched the show, I thought how lucky we (on this website) are to have the information and resources that we do.

Oh, me too! Had my doc not heard the regurgitation across the aortic valve and had she not ordered a few tests I would have been in the same place, a blown out aortic aneurysm. My wife read someplace where most of the time aortic aneurysms are found during a post mortem. Why I was lucky I have no clue. But I am thankful.

thenewmarket said:
This morning Meredith interviewed John Ritter's widow about her upcoming lawsuit concerning his death. She is suing for 67 million and she stated her intention was to start the John Ritter Foundation focusing on aortic disease. I cried as I watched her interview because IF my husband's internist hadn't done a routine chest x-ray.........I fear this is the path I would have walked.

Very informative and humbling interview.

she's money hungry. it's becoming obvious why she married John. R.I.P. John Ritter.

witzkeyman said:
she's money hungry. it's becoming obvious why she married John. R.I.P. John Ritter.

Apparently not. She already had a fairly handsome settlement from an earlier lawsuit. Her wish is to call attention to the frailities of the heart and just in making noise about it now...whether she even gets anywhere.....she has brought new awareness to the general public. This is an honorable move on her part. She is grieving.

Have you even read the interview or watched the video? :mad:

Marguerite

I understand her suing the doctor/s that did the scan in 2001. I don't understand suing the hospital and doctors who treated him at the time of his dissection. We all know here that very few people survive an aortic dissection. So diagnosis prior to the dissection is very important. Someone being brought into an ER in the process of dissection will most likely not live. There isn't a lot that can be done. Thankfully, we have a few members here who were on the good side of horrible statistical outcomes. John Ritter fell into the majority.

So on the one hand - suing and using the money for education and research is great. Blaming the doctors and hospital who had a snowball's chance in hell of saving him is her having the need to blame and place her grief and anger on something tangible. What it does is create an atmosphere in the ER's and doctor's offices across this country that cause them to become afraid to touch anyone.

My Mom died from an aortic dissection. The ER diagnosed it pretty quickly and then said there was nothing they could do. They said they could operate, but that from the amount of blood they saw in her chest cavity it would be for naught and that there would probably be significant brain damage if she survived. I understand the horrible pain of the suddenness of a loved one being apparently healthy and vital one minute and dying the next. I believe our litigious society gave her an easy path to lash out in her pain and anger.

This might be the easiest way to get money for her cause, but I believe it is a destructive way.

witzkeyman said:
I disagree. She's hurting and can't understand how something like this can happen. I SURVIVED my dissection by mere luck. I thought sure it was over and the Docs told me I had a 5% chance of survival. I told them 5 was better then 0% if they did nothing. Woke up 2 1/2 months later at Cleveland Clinic.

I really don't think she'll win her case against the Doctors, but I don't know what all transpired.

Marguerite53 said:
Apparently not. She already had a fairly handsome settlement from an earlier lawsuit. Her wish is to call attention to the frailities of the heart and just in making noise about it now...whether she even gets anywhere.....she has brought new awareness to the general public. This is an honorable move on her part. She is grieving.

Marguerite
Ditto Marguerite..

The fact that the hospital settled so quickly indicates there was a problem or fault on their part, IMHO?..There are very few avenues that will highlight these types of issues/problems like law suits?.this type of thing makes news and she knows it. As far as being money hungry, I think you missed the mark and the point witzkeyman?.Chances are that she will receive nothing and I am sure that her attorneys are not the ?we get paid only if you win? variety..

I know someone who lost her son to an aortic aneurysm....he was 32.
There was no warning and he was considered very young to be having routine chest x-rays.
Ritter's wife has already gotten a few million from the original doctor, I really don't know if this next law suit against the ER docs will be of any benefit to anyone.

Bina said:
I know someone who lost her son to an aortic aneurysm....he was 32.
There was no warning and he was considered very young to be having routine chest x-rays.
Ritter's wife has already gotten a few million from the original doctor, I really don't know if this next law suit against the ER docs will be of any benefit to anyone.
You all would have loved to have been here for my dissection. None of the Doctors picked up on it, not even after a cath and xray. My pulmonologist knew I was dying despite his efforts but had no idea why. Thank God my Cardio came in when he did. Ordered at Catscan Stat and then a helicopter!

From what I understood after viewing the interview, John Ritter was very much alive and alert as they wheeled him into the OR.

It sounded as though they did no pre-op tests before starting the surgery. A chest x-ray, they now believe, might have shown the aneurysm before they started.

My husband lost a son from a previous marriage to an aortic dissection. He lived in Dover, Delaware. It was a Sunday afternoon and he was helping someone hang drywall. That was what he did for work.He sat down for dinner and said he felt bad. Then he was gone. He was 27.
He had been to the ER that Friday night feeling "really bad". He did have high blood pressure for a while.They checked him out (whatever that means???) and send him home.

John Ritter died shortly before my surgery and a memorial for him was on a television show the night before my surgery--very sad situation. Certainly gave me much pause for reflective thought, also.

I haven't watched the clips Marguerite listed for us yet. Was he a bicuspid? I had assumed such but have never read for a certainty that he was.

I saw her interviewed

I saw her interviewed

and to me greed is written all over her face - suing for the amount that John would have made in his lifetime? Oh please. I despise lawsuits anyway - mistakes are made. No doctor is perfect. Life is not perfect. John died on September 11 - it was also his daughter's day of birth - she was 5 years of age when he died. Sounds like it was his time - also John had said some things before his death that were very prophetic if you ask me.

His "grieving" widow said that she is going to start some kind of foundation to make people become aware of aortic dissections (with the money from the lawsuit). Oh, okay....then I think we need a foundation for about a million other things.

As you can tell, I think this widow is dispicable. We will have no more doctors someday because of the high cost of malpractice insurance and having to guard themselves constantly against people like this.

I hope she can sleep at night in her million dollar mansion. I don't get mad about much, but this makes me very angry. :mad:

Christina L

cooker said:
Ditto Marguerite..

The fact that the hospital settled so quickly indicates there was a problem or fault on their part, IMHO?..

I would also offer that it may have settled quickly because the various lawyers had them settle fast because it was a high profile case and they would have lost had it spent a lot of time in "the court of public opinion". He was a well-loved personality (for good reasons). It would not have been a very good PR move to have it continually rehashed in the press, even if there was no significant negligent action on the part of the hospital or doctors.

This lawsuit will increase awareness and hopefully save lives...regardless of the outcome. Please don't be mad.

Well of course I am not

Well of course I am not

mad about public awareness, but that is not why she is suing - you don't have to sue the pants off of someone to get public awareness of something.

When someone goes into the emergency room, there are so many things that could be wrong with that person. A doctor does the BEST they can do under the circumstances. An aortic dissection is just one of many, many things that could be wrong (and don't we here on VR.com know it!).

I'm sorry, but I don't think this woman is ethical. I could maybe dig through my memory and come up with something that my Mom's doctor did "wrong" because you know maybe she would have lived if they had just tried this or that chemotherapy, found her cancer earlier, etc. etc.

That is my point here. I truly don't think his widow is suing these doctors (and ruining their careers even though they may be very decent, well-meaning physicians) to help others. Just my opinion.

Christina L

Marguerite53 said:

Marguerite
she already received a hefty setttlement in the millions. now, she is suing for the money John would have made during the course of his career. that's ludicrous. we need to keep medical costs down. lawsuits like this raise healthcare costs (insurance) for people like me. she is already a millionaire. luckily I had my surgery. she is living large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back