To MRI or not to MRI

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntbiker

Here is the question:
I went to the GP for chronic lower back and leg pain, since the heart stuff is all under control and nothing more then the memory of a bad dream I decided to get it checked. She wants me to go for an MRI this Friday, she suspects a disc injury. I am already scheduled for my annual cardiac MRI on 10/1. Even if they do find an issue in the back I will not change my lifestyle so I really don't see the point. I am also hesitant about doing two MRI's so close together. It seems a bit extreme.

Thoughts?

The two MRI's will study different areas of your body, and that's probably why your GP is asking you to get one for your disks, and I presume your chest.

If you have insurance and it's not going to cost you anything, I personally think why not? There's no ionizing radiation with an MRI like a CT Scan, although there may be some kind of weird side effect not yet recognized by today's understanding.

The only hesitation I would have is if you have a hard time holding still for long periods of time, if you're claustrophobic, etc. I personally will have to be very sedated for my next MRI because I had a hard time holding still and I was cramping up. I had no idea I had that problem. All of this stuff can be conquered by a little dose of Ativan or some other tranquilizer.

If a doctor is pushing you for studies, I wouldn't push back, personally. The only time I've pushed back is for a CT scan because I've had so much radiation.

Something that you might want to consider is that if you have a disk problem right now, there are some circumstances that might be able to cause serious damage suddenly to your spinal cord. It may need intervention, and the best way to tell might be through this MRI the Doc wants you to get. It would be not so smart to avoid this MRI if your doctor believes this to be the case.

Here is the question:
I went to the GP for chronic lower back and leg pain, since the heart stuff is all under control and nothing more then the memory of a bad dream I decided to get it checked. She wants me to go for an MRI this Friday, she suspects a disc injury. I am already scheduled for my annual cardiac MRI on 10/1. Even if they do find an issue in the back I will not change my lifestyle so I really don't see the point. I am also hesitant about doing two MRI's so close together. It seems a bit extreme.

Thoughts?

David,
If you don't care whether they find an issue with your back which might impact your lifestyle, then why did you go to the GP for the chronic lower back and leg pain in the first place? :confused::confused:;);)

I would have the MRI and find out what's going on. You can decide what you want to do, or not do, after you have the information.

And I've forgotten . . . are you having the annual MRI to follow an issue with the aorta?

...why did you go...
This is the difference between reality and perceived reality.

Perceived reality I would go to the doc and be told it was an overuse injury, given some pills and be on my way. reality is the doc has already stated that I should stop riding, when I resisted she said we could discuss it again once the MRI was done.

And I've forgotten . . . are you having the annual MRI to follow an issue with the aorta?

I have an aneurysm that formed by the arch that is being watched. Annual testing right now since it is only at 4.5cm.

Geez, did I miss that info about your aneurysm? I'm sorry. That's unfortunate, David.

Look. Would the doctor schedule a second MRI too close to a first? No. They know what you're doing....they're doctors! (okay, I hear a little hissing in the background, but really that kind of statistic should be readily available to anyone). I think you are just balking. You don't want definitive proof. You're addicted to biking (I mean this in a friendly way....sort of) and hated your time away from it for the heart stuff.

But here's a question... do you like walking?? Do you like standing?? What if there is a problem that would interfere with these 2 very important and taken for granted things in your life? What if the MRI finds something that a chiropractor could easily take care of and send you back on your bike trails?

You are going to receive much needed information. It is your choice to act on the information. But without the information (and don't forget how lucky we are in this day and age to be able to actually get this kind of information) how will you be able to choose what you want to do?

Many of us get little signs along the way that we need or should hear. I hope you're not waiting for someone to "hit you upside the head with a baseball bat" on some of this.

Best wishes. Honest.

Marguerite

I missed this the other day...

I am a veteran of that MRI machine...I have a big pile of scans of my spine.:eek: The actual scan isn't going to physically change you in any way but you and the doc will get a good idea of what sort of condition your spine is in. This I think is a good idea especially if you have had issues with it. Think of it as the same as checking your Aorta, you seem OK with the idea of monitoring that so why not the same for your spine!?

Good luck with your scans and let us know how you get on.

Take it from someone who had severe sciatica from a herniated disc which was fragmented. It was the worst thing I have ever gone through, even worse than the heart stuff. I finally got operated on in 1984. So, get it checked out!!

Back